Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Cool graphs!
80km/h as the slowest turn is a pretty fast course.
Agree - my local track has a very tight hairpin where one is tempted to use 1st gear in some cars...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

I may have to disagree about the manual being the car that has the higher resale value, depending on when the resale is going to take place. When you look at the collector cars that people my age (~45) look at, they would mostly be cars from our youth and teenage years when we got bitten by the car bug but couldn't afford to buy. When today's kids and teens get to the age where they can afford the poster cars they dreamed of, I imagine they will be looking for PDK cars. Not because they're more fun than a manual, but because most of them can't drive a manual at all.

So if you're looking for a short term investment, then go manual. If you're in for the long haul and are looking for a car to help with retirement (but who knows what the future will really bring), then a PDK car may be a better choice.

Just speculation and opinion. No right or wrong answer here.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Who cares
Old 09-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual, I don't want people to drive my cars. lol
Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Who cares
I figure it's people that probably shouldn't be buying the car in the first place. But if they can figure out how to swing it, then more power to them.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Dr. G;14471263] Not because they're more fun than a manual, but because most of them can't drive a manual at all. [QUOTE]

Sport versions of entry level cars (VW Golf GTI, Renault Megane, Honda Civic; Peugeot 308, etc.) are still mainly offered with manual transmission. For the Golf GTI or R, both manual and DSG are offered, but the DSG is charged extra. The Civic Type R, allegedly one of the fastest contenders on the Nordschleife, is manual only. Same picture if you look at entry level convertibles: Mazda MX5 is manual in most instances, only the MX5 RF is available with an automatic transmission. So, many youngsters today still learn to operate a manual transmission, at least in Europe.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't sell it , it doesn't depreciate
Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
If you don't sell it , it doesn't depreciate
You might want to run your incorrect theory by your accountant. It DOES depreciate regardless if you sell or not. Actually, lately, GT cars are immune to the laws of depreciation mostly caused by threads like this and, well, most other threads.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Originally Posted by mass27
You might want to run your incorrect theory by your accountant. It DOES depreciate regardless if you sell or not. Actually, lately, GT cars are immune to the laws of depreciation mostly caused by threads like this and, well, most other threads.
It was sarcasm but thank you
Old 09-16-2017, 01:34 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Who cares
+1 this thread is still going on? Buy what you want TODAY. If you are buying for resale go buy stocks.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:06 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Could care less about future value. I'm getting what excites me, I could be dead in near future for all I know. its a crazy world.

I ordered manual, I miss rowing the gears. Im keeping my 16 RS for track fun, that way I have best of both worlds. Thankfully Porsche gave us this choice, no wrong answer.

Leaving in 5 weeks for ED, can't wait.

^^^ This is a great plan, congratulations!

i have both also, albeit 6 speed in GT4 and PDK in 991.1 GT3

love both and really think a well driven manual is within a second or less per lap....and most of us are not racing nor TT'ing, so does .2 or .6 seconds really matter?

that being said, I wish my GT4 had my GT3 engine just for the noise, HP and modest TQ increase.
tricky to keep up with 650 HP/tq Vettes with only 385/309 on the straightaways--corners are a different story😏
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

There is a fantastic video comparison series by our very own "OBsessed Garage" Rennlist member and forum sponsor, where he tests out a gt4, manual obviously.. at Smokies Fall event. Consider that he is a long-time GT3.1 owner, so his opinion both as a very indepth and philophical reviewer, and as an owner carries weight.
well, if you get to the end of his very well made video, you hear one line which i think says it all on the "manual or PDK GT3" question. After getting out of the gt4 he says...

"oh my, manual GT3 no question... no question"
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

^ Thanks for sharing the video. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I didn't hear from Matt "why" the manual is "no question". I am not sure how the experience Matt shared in his drive would be any different if it were a PDK. Certainly the sound, handling, acceleration is the same with both transmissions. Certainly a PDK can be shifted manually and kept in a gear at the high RPM.

I have debated the manual vs pdk scenario internally hundreds of times. I learned to drive on a manual and have owned them for 30 years and have always enjoyed them. Recently, as I spend more time driving for a specific purpose (work, errands, etc.), I have gotten over the appeal of the manual. It has lost its luster. I recall being able to drive a manual when many people couldn't and I thought that was kind of a cool skill to have. I no longer think that way.

What I have concluded is that the decision has both objective and subjective components.
Objective:
1. PDK easier to drive
2. PDK shifts faster
3. Manual requires more driver involvement

Subjective:
1. The list is way too long to list out all the subjective merits of each transmission

Also, everyone has to remove the "just get the best of both worlds and have a GT car that is manual and GT car that is PDK." Clearly that would be a great situation and clearly that is not feasible for the majority of us. So, if everyone had to pick just one transmission, what would it be?

I do think that because the PDK was solely offered in the .1GT that is has affected the buyer pool of the .2GT and all future GT. People who were impressed with the PDK may now want it in their next car as a result of not having a decision. People who longed for a manual waited until one was released.

Conclusion: I still (and may never) know which transmission I want. But, I think it's great there is a choice.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Manual = millennial theft deterrent
Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
^ Thanks for sharing the video. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I didn't hear from Matt "why" the manual is "no question". I am not sure how the experience Matt shared in his drive would be any different if it were a PDK. Certainly the sound, handling, acceleration is the same with both transmissions. Certainly a PDK can be shifted manually and kept in a gear at the high RPM.

I have debated the manual vs pdk scenario internally hundreds of times. I learned to drive on a manual and have owned them for 30 years and have always enjoyed them. Recently, as I spend more time driving for a specific purpose (work, errands, etc.), I have gotten over the appeal of the manual. It has lost its luster. I recall being able to drive a manual when many people couldn't and I thought that was kind of a cool skill to have. I no longer think that way.

What I have concluded is that the decision has both objective and subjective components.
Objective:
1. PDK easier to drive
2. PDK shifts faster
3. Manual requires more driver involvement

Subjective:
1. The list is way too long to list out all the subjective merits of each transmission

Also, everyone has to remove the "just get the best of both worlds and have a GT car that is manual and GT car that is PDK." Clearly that would be a great situation and clearly that is not feasible for the majority of us. So, if everyone had to pick just one transmission, what would it be?

I do think that because the PDK was solely offered in the .1GT that is has affected the buyer pool of the .2GT and all future GT. People who were impressed with the PDK may now want it in their next car as a result of not having a decision. People who longed for a manual waited until one was released.

Conclusion: I still (and may never) know which transmission I want. But, I think it's great there is a choice.
He mentions that it is because of greater engagement with the machine, in a few parts during the video. Also, if you talk to GT3 owners (I forget if you have one already) they will say that the GT3 on the road can get boring because it's so capable.. its very hard to wring out on the road. Having a manual gives you more opportunity again, to engage with it. My personal experience isn't precise, but close enough. Drove RS on track then had it for a week or so as a daily.. it became somewhat frustrating, I always felt like I was putzing around on road. But then having same experience (about 4-5 months later I admit) driving the R, it was fun everywhere... all the time. That fun everywhere experience was repeated with my manual Spyder, and is the reason I went manual GT3. I want to enjoy it or engage with it always, in the end.. we all want to feel like "this" video on the road, focused, a part of the car. yes, i realize this is a dogbox sequential and that it's an MC12.. but conceptually, the manual adds that level of fun and intensity for me. (skip to 4 minute mark)

(notice the cigarette at the end like he just came and needed to unwind... )

Last edited by CAlexio; 09-19-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual or PDK opinion