Sponsored by:

Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
A deposit on a house for sale is 100% binding.....
Having sold a house in California, I can assure you, for the buyer and for a seller, that is not the case.

In California, a deposit on a house, although wrapped in a very legalistic looking piece of paper, only means: "I'm interested in buying" or "I may sell it to you." For a process that takes weeks and months, that doesn't change until about three days before the buyer hands over the cash.

Just say'in
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Sorry to hear about your plight OP, IMO the dealership is reprehensible, not for suggesting the additional $250K (I'll get back to that later) but for not disclosing upfront in the final months leading up to the GT2 RS' launch that they were intending to sticker the car over $500K!! That's just shady.

On the $250K ADM, I get the allure/greed to capture some of the financial upside on highly desirable GT cars however, Porsche dealerships (new car sales) are in the "new issue" market not the secondary market for cars. At "new issue", while a modest market adjustment can be expected ($10-50K), $250K is ridiculous. Dealerships need to understand that MSRP-paying buyers vastly outnumber ADM-paying buyers...it wouldn't be good long-term business to alienate and lose hundreds of MSRP-paying customers in the pursuit of ADM-paying whales... not to mention the blemish to their reputation.

Last edited by Akunob; 10-06-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Having sold a house in California, I can assure you, for the buyer and for a seller, that is not the case.

In California, a deposit on a house, although wrapped in a very legalistic looking piece of paper, only means: "I'm interested in buying" or "I may sell it to you." For a process that takes weeks and months, that doesn't change until about three days before the buyer hands over the cash.

Just say'in
Well - if a buyer places a deposit and waives all contingencies inspections offsets I would love to see how a seller gets out of not selling that house.

What you are stating is - but for and there are is no applicable but for when ordering a car with a deposit. If you are applying a 3 day cool off period for consumers that time has lapsed.

What you are missing is the element of which there are associated costs to charge more - the buyer placed a deposit the dealer had no need or trigger or applicable trigger to raise the cost of the car.

There is no sympathy or economic hardship the dealer incurred - there is with the buyer sellers can not have it both ways.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:10 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Well - if a buyer places a deposit and waives all contingencies inspections offsets I would love to see how a seller gets out of not selling that house.
You left someone off your list.

What you're not accounting for is that a real estate deal does not involve just a buyer and a seller. As you probably know, the big guy in a real estate deal is the buyers lender.

A buyer can waive all the contingencies he wants, waive all the inspections he wants, waive anything else he wants; but, until the lender says "here's the money," the seller doesn't have to sell anything. And up until that point, neither the buyer nor seller has a legal leg up.

Had the OP employed just a fraction of the thinking involved in real estate deals, he'd have his car.

That applies to me, too, since I've been down the same road he's gone down.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:17 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
But I want the car. So I pay the price. That's how it works.
I guess for you and some others.

I wanted the car (GT4) and got it 8/2015 at MSRP. i want the car GT3.2 and secured a MSRP allocation for the exact spec i wanted for a early 2018 car.

and i am a nobody in the p car world... GT4 was the first new Porsche i have ever bought.

So there will be the ones that still pay over and then there will be people that pay what the car is worth... different strokes, what makes the world go round.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:36 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
You left someone off your list.

What you're not accounting for is that a real estate deal does not involve just a buyer and a seller. As you probably know, the big guy in a real estate deal is the buyers lender.

A buyer can waive all the contingencies he wants, waive all the inspections he wants, waive anything else he wants; but, until the lender says "here's the money," the seller doesn't have to sell anything. And up until that point, neither the buyer nor seller has a legal leg up.

Had the OP employed just a fraction of the thinking involved in real estate deals, he'd have his car.

That applies to me, too, since I've been down the same road he's gone down.
Bad assumption. Not everyone who buys a house needs a lender, and the only way you would be able to wave contingencies in the first place would be to be a cash buyer.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:38 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I paid MSRP for my GT4 at Porsche of the Main Line and have only good things to say about them and my salesman.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:00 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Bad assumption. Not everyone who buys a house needs a lender, and the only way you would be able to wave contingencies in the first place would be to be a cash buyer.
True - a buyer is a buyer and a seller is a seller taking things into account that are not present is creative and cute but not real.

Meaning both are held accountable - which is the entire reason an exchange of "cash or something of worth" is exchanged if something goes wrong due to the buyer the seller simply keeps the deposit.

Which is why a buyer can force a seller to sell and a seller can not force a buyer to buy.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:32 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't read through every post on this thread (after page 6 it got a little repetitive). However, this morning on my train commute I watched a YouTube video on Shmee's channel that he had ordered a GT3, but the whole video was about his time at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. When you see in the video the range of extraordinary supercars that are available from the many manufacturers in the world today, it seems there are numerous choices and many of them are probably in the price zipcode of the GT2RS. So, if you must have a GT2RS, then you may be subjecting yourself to the game you must play to get one. But with all this agitation, pick one of the other choices and just go and enjoy it.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:43 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solved

Last edited by SHAG; 10-17-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: solved
Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A deposit on a house for sale is 100% binding - you received something of value.

A seller can not make a buyer buy a buyer 100% can make a seller sell. The deposit reflected a contract something of value was transacted. As long as you discussed a sale price and accepted deposit it is a contract. If it turns into a he said she said he who placed the deposit will win in this case there is MSRP which is only what the dealer is entitled to as the dealer took no risk vs if the dealer specified took delivery and placed it in inventory etc.

If you sold your house for 250k after entering a contract in good faith with me - you would be in a ton of hot water As you state your house was for sale the only way to sell something and take a deposit there would have been a published or discussed price. Best case for you even if there is no price which would be highly unlikely the buyer could order an appraisal and hold you accountable to sell at that price - fair market but again that's highly unlikely as you took a deposit based on some agreed or published value.

Sellers are allowed to market after taking a deposit - allowing for a back up contract the only trigger to enact that contract is the original buyer fails to perform. In this case buyer was 100% capable of performing so the dealer is acting in bad faith ethics and the buyer relied on the dealer to his detriment - detrimental reliance which is subject to punitive as is the dealer buying the Ferrari below market it would appear that there are real damages -again I would not suggest pursuing the dealer but I am not in his shoes nor your neighbor
Just my 2 cents.....this isn't anything similar to what OP is dealing with? Nothing above applies to this situation. While I am not a fan of dealers that aren't transparent with orders, deposits, and communication (agreed upon sale price in writing) this particular deal hasn't come close to meeting terms in your post.

1) I have not seen a price ever stated on a contract and unfortunately if just spoken about it won't hold up in court without many things to go along with the verbal air exchanged....he said, she said will follow written facts when in doubt.

2) We need to see the Pre-trade details on paperwork signed to allow dealership to sell the Ferrari before the GT2 RS final buyers contract was executed (Vin needed and price breakdown required). I assure you language exists on it for just a situation in which a deposit car never materializes ("subject to availability") from Porsche, if the dealership sold Ferrari and afterwards the OP wanted to back out of getting the deposit vehicle, or terms just don't come together when a car materializes. In other words dealer cant just get keys to the Ferrari and sell it without other docs being signed by OP so that it can be completed legally.

3) You can't "make a seller sell" if the seller didn't sell anything or agree to? They agreed to take a deposit for a potential allocated car with almost no other info or vague info at best to secure a deposit.

4) Other than making an honored individual serving in our armed forces that protects our great nation feel screwed which was easily avoidable by the dealer just stating 2+ years ago.....we won't discuss a potential price until we examine market value but we will leave you first on list with a right to turn down when final asking price is determined, or we won't consider selling at MSRP so keep your deposit money and your trade in because it would be wasting your time, or WE WILL SELL AND COMMIT ON CONTRACT THAT WE WILL HONOR THE MSRP AS THE SALE PRICE PLUS PURCHASE FEES WHATEVER IT MAY BE AS LISTED ON MONRONEY STICKER FROM PCNA...I just don't see how this experience mirrors a home purchase or sale at all from a contract standpoint?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:46 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solved

Last edited by SHAG; 10-17-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: solved
Old 10-06-2017, 06:11 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
This thread is being stolen! So,
Old 10-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
Update-
I have spoken with the owner Bob this morning and the GM Paul multiple times in the last few days. It doesn €™t appear that I will have a resolution to this over night but they are in communication with me and it appears the are trying to make this right.
I hope they make it right for you.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys,

Op should contact PCNA, his attorney and dealership on this issue. I am sure this issue can be sorted.

Quick Reply: Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line