Sponsored by:

Am I totally stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:41 AM
darkus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I totally stupid?

Hi all, new to the 911/Porsche world. Well not even new, I'm actually on the outside looking in a little. I was hoping for some sage advice from the experienced/dedicated ppl out there.

I'm thinking about stepping into a 991.1 GT3 (or maybee a 991.2 GT3 down the road when they become available to mortals)

Background:
I'm a car nut and have always been my whole life. Really became a nut in the BMW world, as I have a feeling a number of people here may have. I'm not wealthy by a long stretch but I am lucky enough to be able to own at least 1 nice car in my 'stable' at a time. I use my cars exclusively on the street and they are my main mode of transportation, to and from work in heavy traffic.

Now I've had car love in my blood for as far back as I can remember. I was a nut for 911s since I was a teenager, yes I had the 'kills bugs fast' ads in my road and track magazine and eventually got the poster at the NY autoshow. I nearly flipped when I saw a yellow CTR2 (or atleast something that was made to look like it) fly past me on a backroad one early sunday morning. When my neighbor let me drive his 993 turbo I totally lost it as well. So I've always had the love and respect for porsche in my blood, but never the means nor the maturity for one, and I was well aware of that.

My real car enthusiasim started with the BMW 3-series (323i then 325i then M3). During ownership of those cars I learned that I wanted more and equipped them with Bilstein PSS coilovers and then KW V3 coilovers to get the maximum handling and feel that I wanted on the street. I never found any of those setups uncomfortable or even compromising on the street. I just imagined 'this is the way it should have come from the factory' as they seemed to mix comfort with max handling.

I then moved onto the BMW 1M and didn't modfiy it one bit, and thought to myself "huh, BMW actually got it right out of the factory", no need to improve the handling and as a bonus an amazing ride and perfect for a daily driver.

After that I got introduced to the AMG Black Series lineup starting with the CLK63 BS. Car was incredible. I worshiped it, and it was expensive for me, so I decided to go down the path of keeping it as a weekend car and using a Mini as a DD. After a few months I realized the truth, that the DD+weekend fun car combo is not for me. I spend most of my car time commuting to and from work and on weekend most of my time is sucked up by family/life responsibility, so much so that I never really got to drive the car and felt almost 'forced' to try to take it out so it wouldn't rust and die. What a terrible life for a car nut. So I went back to using my own personal 'supercar' as my DD and I loved every minute of it.

After the CLK63 I got the opportunity to get the C63 Black Series, which again was/is incredible. Im still currently using it as my DD, going on 6 years now and I have to say every day with it is a riot and a joy to use as a commuter car. Seriously love the car.

In any of these cars, Coilover equipped BMW 3-series/M3, BMW 1M, AMG Black Series (which basicly come with KW V3s from the factory in both cases), I've never found the cars too harsh or too much for me on the street. Maybee the CLK63 was a bit much for the street, but that was due to its really restrictive and hard seats then suspension.

I hope this gives you some background on cars I find ideal for a DD, something fast and razor sharp handling but still based on a sedan which have some inherent compliance and slack in the ride and steering which allows one to be a little lazy on those days when the commute is especially hairy.

My question:
Now after all that, onto my question. I now want (want is not the right work, LUST is the right word) for the 911 GT3, most likely a 991.1, and wanted to get anyone/everyone opionion on if I should do this or not. I'm hoping someone out there also had (or has) a C63 BS which would be the most ideal reference point. My main questions are this:

1) Do you think its a good car for a DD, will it be compliant enough for me to just dredge through about an hour of stop-and-go traffic, something where I can get lazy and just steer with my thumb and index finger and slouch back in my seat as I do in my Benz often times a week. Will my back break, etc...

2) Do you think it will be boring for me? What I love about both AMG BS cars is that they are anything but boring. Now before you think about this one, let me explain, I'm sure on the edge the Gt3 is clearly more fun then an AMG ever could be, but what I actually find fun about the AMGs is that they can be like a rollercoaster of amazing road and chassis feel at street legal speeds. So much so that sometimes I think im going at about 300-400MPH having a blast down a backroad, and I look down at the speedometer and Im actually doing 70MPH -- nowhere near lose my license speeds. Thats what i consider fun, adrenaline road feel and general thrills at 'low' speeds. This is a big fear for me with the Gt3. Thats is just 'too good' in that its designed to conquer the track so that driving at plebian 50-70MPH will be boring and too civilized.

Because i'm not wealthy enough to take a gamble on such a decision, I have to make the right one so I'm hoping the peanut gallery can help on this one! Would really love to hear from everyone but especailly people that may have owned any of the cars I mentioned as that would be a great way to do some kind of direct comparison. I've learned in life that pre-conceived notions just don't work and I remember thinking AMGs were total trash (being a loyal BMW nut) and until I got to drive one I learned the truth.

Thanks for your time to anyone crazy enough to read this post and thanks ahead of time for any thoughts
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

1. your question is driver dependent, hard to answer for you.
2. if you find AMG BS to be not boring, then GT3 will thrill you to no end.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Do you think its a good car for a DD, will it be compliant enough for me to just dredge through about an hour of stop-and-go traffic, something where I can get lazy and just steer with my thumb and index finger and slouch back in my seat as I do in my Benz often times a week. Will my back break, etc...
If you plan on using this beast to drive daily through traffic , then you will hate this car and the car will also hate being there . This is a mean machine that needs stretches winding roads and tracks and the car is not enjoyable unless it is revved above 4000 RPM ,you can still of course enjoy it for weekend drives in roads with less traffic and just driving it .
The AMG is fun in normal roads and is a better daily driver in my opinion ( which a lot of GT3'rs won't agree with me in this forum ) , even with traffic . I had both and couldn't wait to use my GT3 on the weekend but would look forward e to drive my AMG from home to work everyday

2) Do you think it will be boring for me? What I love about both AMG BS cars is that they are anything but boring. Now before you think about this one, let me explain, I'm sure on the edge the Gt3 is clearly more fun then an AMG ever could be, but what I actually find fun about the AMGs is that they can be like a rollercoaster of amazing road and chassis feel at street legal speeds. So much so that sometimes I think im going at about 300-400MPH having a blast down a backroad, and I look down at the speedometer and Im actually doing 70MPH -- nowhere near lose my license speeds. Thats what i consider fun, adrenaline road feel and general thrills at 'low' speeds. This is a big fear for me with the Gt3. Thats is just 'too good' in that its designed to conquer the track so that driving at plebian 50-70MPH will be boring and too civilized.
Answered above . You really need to do a proper test drive on the GT3 before jumping into it

Because i'm not wealthy enough to take a gamble on such a decision, I have to make the right one so I'm hoping the peanut gallery can help on this one! Would really love to hear from everyone but especailly people that may have owned any of the cars I mentioned as that would be a great way to do some kind of direct comparison. I've learned in life that pre-conceived notions just don't work and I remember thinking AMGs were total trash (being a loyal BMW nut) and until I got to drive one I learned the truth.
These are different cars , both are good , different purposes and levels . The GT3 is a cheap supercar that offers thrills like no other , the visceral felling , the rawness and the simplicity along with bulletproof vechile makes it a real bargain .

Thanks for your time to anyone crazy enough to read this post and thanks ahead of time for any thoughts[/QUOTE]
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the GT3 991.1 with PDK a perfectly fine car for driving around LA in daily driving. If your looking for cushy though, it won't be your cup of tea. Of course, it is much more rewarding shooting through the canyons and on the track. What would you expect? OTOH I've had mine for 3 years--and through literally all types of driving, it still feels special to me every time I get in, regardless of where Im going.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 AM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up a cpo 2015 gt3 last december and 20k miles later all I can say it has been one of the best decisions of my life. That smiles that car has brought to mine and various passengers faces is absolutely priceless. I drive it daily and sit in traffic and its fine.
BTW, I am the guy that hits sports exhaust, sports shocks, and pdk sport instinctually as I am starting the car...

My only suggestion is to get the front lift option as that gets used that many times on a daily basis. Oh, and radar is another critical component.

I track mine as well - on aggressive street alignment it is a beast putting various 996 cups to shame at sebring (running 2:20's in august).

Best 145k I ever spent...ever (and this is my 10th porsche and none come close even 993tt).

Ultimately, it is the most suitable, badass car that you can drive daily so do it.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

I can relate to your 2nd comment.

My AMG GTR is more entertaining in DD situations up to 60 mph than my GT3.2 which is a bit of a non-event at those speeds. The GTR is a noisier, more dramatic car. Its giggle factor is much higher at lower speeds.

But at the end of the day, I would always choose a GT3 over a GTR (or any other AMG product ) because of what it does and how it feels at higher speeds.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

I bought my .1 gt3 with the intention of being daily driver, weekend/spirited driving car, and for occasional track use. I didn't enjoy it daily after really using it to its abilities. It became a chore driving it to work while stuck in traffic. Compared to a 911S it is loud, stiff, and not nearly as comfortable. I ended up buying a beater that I drive to work and save the GT3 mainly for track use, weekend/spirited driving, and a second car in case my beater-DD is in the shop. That being said, I probably won't go back to a non-GT Porsche again because it feels how a sports car should feel. If I needed a car for all of the above including DD I would try a .2 GTS.

Last edited by NiteCrawlr; 01-16-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Anything with four wheels I would daily drive so the whole comfort thing is probably not a place for me to give advice.

Given that you are uncertain and especially because you are looking at a 991.1 GT3 which are available on dealer lots used so you can probably test drive, why not test drive one? The AMG mercs/BMW M/Porsche etc etc all feel different to me and some I like and some I dislike. Frankly, I think the GT3 is too plush coming from lotus and air cooled porsche, but coming from a merc you may think the opposite.

The ten year engine warranty on the 991.1 GT3 is really attractive for a daily. If I were not a degenerate 3 pedal guy, I’d have one.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Go for the .1 and don't look back. You can def dd without the fear of being "boring"
Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

1. No a GT3 is not a good DD. I know there are some out there who daily drive GT3's but the reality is they are low, rough, loud, and boring in traffic. A Turbo (S) would be much better in my opinion.

2. Would a GT3 be boring? Absolutely not. I think there are very few cars out there that are more thrilling (and most would cost a great deal more). But a GT3 can be a bit boring around town. If you like the attention when driving, and hearing the exhaust bounce off of buildings it can be fun for a while. But once you drive a GT3 on some good open roads, driving around town is torture.

Ultimately you need to test drive a 991.1 GT3 to decide. But I would suggest driving a 991.1 Turbo (S) at the same time and maybe even a 991.1/2 GTS as well.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

yes, DD is fine (preferred IMO)

on my 2nd and have only DD my GT3s

yes, even in SF/Bay Area traffic
Old 01-16-2018, 10:50 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

IMO a GT3 requires attention when you drive it. It also fairly raw and noisy. I would not do one as a DD. Like the poster above, I would do a turbo. I have a pretty good frame of reference, I own a GT3.2MT, a RS and a TT. I also had a '15 GT3.1.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I daily drive my RS in the summer....it is just fine and the fun factor lies in the noise and rawness of the ride
Old 01-16-2018, 11:04 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

@OP why not go test drive a .1 GT3?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The real q is your level of discipline to DD highway , car WANTs triple digits in your hands and arrives there so easily , so real q is do u have legal horsepower too ?

Quick Reply: Am I totally stupid?