Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer refunded my GT3 deposit last week..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
It's a weekend car only... Even on my previous 911's, I only put a few k a year on them. I really will miss having a manual, but I'm pretty sure the 458's roar behind my ears will make up for that. The 458 I'm looking at is a 7k mile one owner car being sold by the same dealer that sold it initially. From what I'm reading, the 458 had been very reliable to it's current owners in general. If you would share any of your experience it would be greatly appreciated.
‘check your PM
Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes this was for an MSRP allocation because they are an "MSRP" dealer apparently. Prior to this, I had another dealer play a game where he and I verbally agreed for me to buy an allocation at a 10% markup, but once I got to their to sign the paperwork he tried to tack on an additional 15k! I literally got up from the desk and thanked him for wasting my time and walked out. He followed up with an email saying he's sorry but there's simply too much demand for this car and he'll keep me updated!

It's a shame, I have purchased numerous P cars from both of these dealers previously, and I don't think I'll be giving my business to Porsche again anytime in the near future. I should have known I was being played even though I have a large email chain where he confirms that I'll get an allocation numerous times.

If they were honest from the beginning and simply would have said it's not going to happen, that would have been fine.
Is it any wonder why dealers have such a bad reputation in general? There are some honest ones, but they are few and far between. It is really bad when they took your deposit. That is effectively an agreement between you and the dealer. And then the dealer bails on the agreement.

Edit: Out of curiosity, did you have any documentation of the transaction other than a receipt for the deposit?

Last edited by aCayenneFan; 03-08-2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: See Edit: above.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've now had two dealers refund my deposits for MSRP cars here in SoCal. One was for a GT3 (#3 on the list), and recently for .2 GT4 (#1 on the list). I never lost my spot, but was told ADM only. The second case with the GT4 was just last week. They are "thinking" about enforcing ADM or not. I've accepted the idea of ADM's. And buyers can decide they want to pay them or not. But I do believe if you already had a deposit for a car at MSRP (which I did), that should be honored. Much easier to accept an ADM if you know from the beginning than getting the old switch-a-roo.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:09 AM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE:

Last week one of my good buddies happened to be at the dealer where this happened to me and wanted my opinion about a 911 he was looking at... Being the great friend I am, I said "I'll be right there" and left my office (for the rest of the day).. The SA he was dealing with seemed really nice and starting stirring up a conversation with me. During the course of the conversation I explained to him in detail what had happened to me... He seemed genuinely embarrassed and even upset about what I went through and INSISTED I speak to the general manager who was there. I didn't want to at first but he insisted... So I laid it all out to him, date by date, email by email. The broken promise in writing, my purchasing of another car in good faith, etc.... He then sat back and have me a long apology explaining that it was simply unacceptable what had happened to me and that he wanted to "make it right"... He started working on his computer diligently while uttering phrases like, "Hmmm" ... "Yeaaa"..... "No".... As I sat with great anticipation... Then finally, "AH Ha! Well I don't think I can get you a GT3, but I can probably get you an RS. For the low ADM of..........................50k over

In other news, this will be in my garage next week.

Last edited by JP Manor; 04-11-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

UPDATE:

Last week one of my good buddies happened to be at the dealer where this happened to me and wanted my opinion about a 911 he was looking at... Being the great friend I am, I said "I'll be right there" and left my office (for the rest of the day).. The SA he was dealing with seemed really nice and starting stirring up a conversation with me. During the course of the conversation I explained to him in detail what had happened to me... He seemed genuinely embarrassed and even upset about what I went through and INSISTED I speak to the general manager who was there. I didn't want to at first but he insisted... So I laid it all out to him, date by date, email by email. The broken promise in writing, my purchasing of another car in good faith, etc.... He then sat back and have me a long apology explaining that it was simply unacceptable what had happened to me and that he wanted to "make it right"... He started working on his computer diligently while uttering phrases like, "Hmmm" ... "Yeaaa"..... "No".... As I sat with great anticipation... Then finally, "AH Ha! Well I don't think I can get you a GT3, but I can probably get you an RS. For the low ADM of..........................50k over

In other news, this will be in my garage next week.

Buy the RS for $50k over, flip it for $80k+ over and then use that profit to apply towards Ferrari purchase.
I'm just being mean
Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

nice fiat.
50 over well it's still over...
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

UPDATE:

Unreal...I hope after he said that you walked right out.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:32 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
You are 100% correct of course (whether you have to put on a flak jacket or not!)

I priced a C4S a few years ago, and with a decent level of options, it put me into R8 range. I went with one and had no regrets. Awesome car and worth every cent. Hand-build and special.

So, If you price a GT3 with the Dealership-Bribe™ built in, you are way, way, way, above where a mass-produced,stamped sheet metal car with ancillary gear from a VW toureg is worth.
Once you hit $180K, you get into the zone of true exotics.....it's like the proverbial $75,000 Rolex.....why would you bother? when there are hand-made and truly special Pateks, Audemars, and Vacherons for less money.
The Mclaren I just picked up is built from items that trickle down from $300K vehicles....it has leather in it that does not turn to crap in a year like the GT3, has billet aluminum signal stalks and switch-gear and a carbon fiber tub.
The GT3 just became the Rolex Daytona of the Car-world. Porsche needs to stop the games.

So it just became a timeless classic...the first watch most serious collectors begin their collections with... A watch that holds or even appreciates in value over time and is the measuring stick the others are typically judged by?

If the GT3 is a Rolex Daytona I'm even happier I got mine! Which car is one of those "truly special" Audemars that dealers give away with 20% discounts and depreciate from there?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:44 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@JP Manor : Good choice, lovely Ferrari, let them screw someone else over with their 50k ADM !
Old 04-11-2018, 07:39 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put me down as one more that went through this recently. Maybe even more painful than you because I have purchased several new GT cars and still couldn't get an allocation (at MSRP). I went a different route. After attending Luft4 last year in LA, I got the bug for a 356, so found a fully restored one I like, near the GT3 price, but still a bit less and unlikely to ever go down in value. If I was looking for a modern fun car, I agree with you the 458 would be high on the list. but for me so would the Huracan - love the combo of Italian styling and German engineering. The goofy allocation and limited production games for the GT3 have just gotten too silly...
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Congrats on awesome looking car....i have also bought my last Porsche....they are almost forcing people to flip into another brand because ADMs are real money. On to other brands.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Congrats on awesome looking car....i have also bought my last Porsche....they are almost forcing people to flip into another brand because ADMs are real money. On to other brands.
Did you turn onto JVL Industrial Park drive in that cab yesterday? I yelled "nice 993!" out of the gray Raptor, if so... if not, there's a guy with the same car / top as you around here.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading this thread it makes me very grateful that my dealer is a MSRP dealer. Sorry to hear the pain but do enjoy that F car..
Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Buy the RS for $50k over, flip it for $80k+ over and then use that profit to apply towards Ferrari purchase.
I'm just being mean
After sales tax, capital gains tax, title/registration and other fees, he could pay for a few car washes with what's left.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Enjoy the 458....one of Maranello's finest in recent years IMHO. Not a bad move, I really considered getting an earlier MY 458 Italia as well when I was striking out finding a GT3 allocation

Quick Reply: Dealer refunded my GT3 deposit last week..