Old 04-05-2018, 08:33 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Walter Röhrl interview (german) - "EV is deviant/abnormal"

Walter Röhrl Interview

German content.
Hopefully subtitles works.

he is so real and honest; and gives a sh*t. also on porsche. on their strategie.
he just loves the automobile in combination with an ICE.

and i love him.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I love it. Same here. No electric 911 for me.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:23 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Sound is a massive part of the experience. If i want to drive an electric vehicle, i will go play golf.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound is a massive part of the experience. If i want to drive an electric vehicle, i will go play golf.
thats hilarious. I have a guy at my golf course that has a Tesla, I always ask him "why get a cart man just drive your car out there!"
He always wants to drag me in the 3, and I tell him that if I wanted to drag raced I would have bought a Demon. Plus I hate
extension cords.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,203 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
thats hilarious. I have a guy at my golf course that has a Tesla, I always ask him "why get a cart man just drive your car out there!"
He always wants to drag me in the 3, and I tell him that if I wanted to drag raced I would have bought a Demon. Plus I hate
extension cords.
ask him what exact model is his Tesla. I’ve drag raced several Tesla model S cars and beat them. As long as your friend doesn’t have a p90d or p100d, you beat him 0-60 in a PDK .1 or .2 GT3.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:24 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I think it's deviant / abnormal for the car enthusiast, especially Porsche fan yes. But that comprises a very small faction of car owners worldwide, if that. If I was not a sports car enthusiast, I would go EV 10 out of 10 times hand over fist. Cheaper to run and operate (especially if you have solar power), way more tech that is only getting better (autopilot is lovely when stuck in traffic, range is getting better from 80 on my first Leaf to 240 on my Model X and they are only getting better), more infrastructure coming to support EVs at longer ranges and make it more convenient/viable, and my favorite part is better for the environment which I do really care about (yes - directly clashes with my love for the 911 and the glorious flat-6 experience, all the characteristics that make a 911 a 911, and just enjoying my 911 on an empty winding road).

I hope personally that ICE cars become like the motorcycle and still developed and refined while retaining the most important characteristics, while people who just need transport to get from A to B, from work and back or on an outing with family, can viably do electric to reduce emissions worldwide for the sake of the planet. And if you fit that bill *and* like luxury, the Mission E is perfect. The build quality on my Tesla sucks, and if I could have the Tesla technology in a Porsche IMO it would be perfect for a commuter car in the luxury segment for me. I am queued up for the Mission E and hope to have the perfect pairing of my GT3 and Mission E for the best of both worlds in my garage someday.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,203 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I think it's deviant / abnormal for the car enthusiast, especially Porsche fan yes. But that comprises a very small faction of car owners worldwide, if that. If I was not a sports car enthusiast, I would go EV 10 out of 10 times hand over fist. Cheaper to run and operate (especially if you have solar power), way more tech that is only getting better (autopilot is lovely when stuck in traffic, range is getting better from 80 on my first Leaf to 240 on my Model X and they are only getting better), more infrastructure coming to support EVs at longer ranges and make it more convenient/viable, and my favorite part is better for the environment which I do really care about (yes - directly clashes with my love for the 911 and the glorious flat-6 experience, all the characteristics that make a 911 a 911, and just enjoying my 911 on an empty winding road).

I hope personally that ICE cars become like the motorcycle and still developed and refined while retaining the most important characteristics, while people who just need transport to get from A to B, from work and back or on an outing with family, can viably do electric to reduce emissions worldwide for the sake of the planet. And if you fit that bill *and* like luxury, the Mission E is perfect. The build quality on my Tesla sucks, and if I could have the Tesla technology in a Porsche IMO it would be perfect for a commuter car in the luxury segment for me. I am queued up for the Mission E and hope to have the perfect pairing of my GT3 and Mission E for the best of both worlds in my garage someday.

Just my 2 cents.
agree. I plan on never selling my .2 GT3 and adding a telsa model 3 late this year to be my daily beater, for my complete garage.

Also have a deposit down on mission E. Depending on how long it takes for Tesla to finally build me an AWD model 3, and how financially secure Tesla is at that point, I may just skip the model 3, and just go straight to a long term garage of .2 GT3 and Mission E.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:39 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

For me the engine is everything, I was fascinated by the noise from a very early age, built race engines for a local builder while at school, got in to F1 building engines, got a degree in Automotive Engineering then made the daftest move and became an accountant. But engines have always been my love and the noise, feel and mechanical harmonies are pure music. Somehow my electric hedge trimmer doesn't stir the soul in quite the same way.

If Ferrari or Porsche or anyone else build an electric car, I won't be a customer. Tesla's are the worst way I can think of spending £100k on a vehicle
Old 04-06-2018, 05:05 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
For me the engine is everything, I was fascinated by the noise from a very early age, built race engines for a local builder while at school, got in to F1 building engines, got a degree in Automotive Engineering then made the daftest move and became an accountant. But engines have always been my love and the noise, feel and mechanical harmonies are pure music. Somehow my electric hedge trimmer doesn't stir the soul in quite the same way.

If Ferrari or Porsche or anyone else build an electric car, I won't be a customer. Tesla's are the worst way I can think of spending £100k on a vehicle
What he said. ICE:s are my reason for being and I have also spent a period in my career developing F1 engines (during the high-revving 3l V10 era). My whole career of now almost 25 yrs has revolved around ICE:s. So no, I will also not spend any of my own money on a BEV. Of any brand.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

servicing the front axle brake on the .1RS cost more - than the fuel used to wear it.
do the math.

a track-ready or just sporty EV for saving money is surreal... (at the moment)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Nothing is really green apart from grass and I suspect that someone could demonstrate that was better left to a more natural and eco friendly biosystem, than having green grass. I also accept that revving a petrol engine jars with a lot of people along with a whole heap of other things. If they did look at carbon footprints and holding people accoutanble , I'd happily walk to work, catch the train or bus and use my acceptable footprint at the weekend revving my petrol engine :-)

In any case lots of stories anyone could dig up about the ECO of batteries. EV will be the devil at some point and for me it would make a lot of sense to continue to evolve the ICE and look at alternative fuels
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

There is a lot to like and dislike about EV's but let's face it, they will replace ICE cars at some point.

I had an i3 as a daily driver for a while and now my wife has the plugin hybrid Volvo XC90. For everyday cars I will admit, I like having an EV. For my enthusiast car, absolutely not. I don't see how an EV could ever give me the same excitement as my GT3 regardless of performance.

My hope is the general population will convert to EV's and make regulators happy, but I really hope regulators will allow some new nitch cars to remain ICE for as long as possible. Just like the Cayenne and Macan generate profits for Porsche to develop the fun stuff, I hope the Mission E is successful and does the same.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:51 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm an EV fan, I like things that are different. I would get an EV 911 if available now but it would supplement and not replace a 2RS and 3RS. Since it's not available yet, I tempted to pick up a new iPace while waiting for the mission E.

No extension cords needed - just install a charger on the wall at home on a 240V circuit. We had ours down through Bosch Automotive, cost like $1500 from memory 3 years ago.

I could see what Jaguar and others have done bringing back old classics as new cars they aren't street legal becoming more normal. Also more track only cars.

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2016/11/new-original-jaguar-xkss-makes-world-debut-los-angeles?q=&start=0&brand=jaguar
Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,399 Likes on 725 Posts

No electric for me- 0 interest
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I had some time to kill at a swim meet with my 17 yr old son last week. nothing much to do in the area so i asked him do you want to go test drive some cars. I was offering him to drive some cool cars himself ( we were in my gt4 so sure to get a salesman to cooperate at the opportunity to sell an expensive car)
he was only interested in driving an electric car..... tesla, i3, volt.

times are changing whether we like it or not.

Quick Reply: Walter Röhrl interview (german) - "EV is deviant/abnormal"