Sponsored by:

Break in Fallacy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
I know this topic has been covered numerous times, and people have heard different things.

For reference/perspective:

1. At PEC LA and Atlanta, all GT3, GT3 RS go through a 1500 mile break in period. The instructors were instructed by the headquarters to require the complete break in period before letting the first customers drive it. Since PEC cars are not registered for road, they can only put on the miles inside the facility on the circuit. Instructors rotate through "on duty" hours everyday to put on the miles, it takes over a week to put the miles on one GT car, this is why sometimes it takes awhile for new GT cars to be available for normal consumers to "experience" after it had landed. I was the first to drive a particular GT3 at PEC and it had right over 1500 miles. Although sometimes they do get it out a little early due to prior scheduling, delays and etc.
Very good post. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:49 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Follow the owners manual for break in. Anything less is risk v reward and your individual tolerance.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently met some working for Porsche UK that was asked to drive GT car from Germany to UK to run in engine. Cool job. Person said they def follow break-in recommendation.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Lots of .1 GT3/RS cars for sale that are a few years old with less than 2,000 miles on the OD. I seriously doubt they were never taken over 4,000 RPM...
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I don't know what it says in the 991.2 GT3 European manual, but here's the break-in section from the 991.1 version.

European 991.1 GT3 owners Manual
Very strange - they do not use miles in Europe.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

I know this topic has been covered numerous times, and people have heard different things.

1. At PEC LA and Atlanta, all GT3, GT3 RS go through a 1500 mile break in period. The instructors were instructed by the headquarters to require the complete break in period before letting the first customers drive it. Since PEC cars are not registered for road, they can only put on the miles inside the facility on the circuit. Instructors rotate through "on duty" hours everyday to put on the miles, it takes over a week to put the miles on one GT car, this is why sometimes it takes awhile for new GT cars to be available for normal consumers to "experience" after it had landed. I was the first to drive a particular GT3 at PEC and it had right over 1500 miles. Although sometimes they do get it out a little early due to prior scheduling, delays and etc.

2. At factory tour in Germany, I asked couple engineers about this, and they suggested that the way the engine is built on the 4.0 engine, it is much more important to do the proper break in on this particular engine than the normal engines (3.8, 3.0 etc). They suggest me to do it.

Just what I've seen and heard but you should decide for yourself
Interesting. This must be recent. They let me drive .1 GT3 and Turbo in Atlanta both with less than 1500 miles, and same with .2 Turbo S in Leipzig. Anyway, brake in is not that painful - just 1-2 roadtrips, so why not do it.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I honestly fail to see what the angst and confusion is all about. The manual states quite clearly on why and how to do the break in. Why not do it? The car is such a joy to drive, I put in the 2000 miles in less than a month just by doing frequent day and weekend trips. So again, why not just do it? I can understand if you are a flipper and will only keep the car a for a few hundred miles so you want to drive those hundred miles HARD. If you're not a flipper, you'll keep the car more than the 2000 break in miles, and you can easily run those miles up and stay within the break in parameters.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Owners are impatient
Old 04-11-2018, 10:41 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Very strange - they do not use miles in Europe.
Whoops! You're right MaxLTV. Here's the excerpt from the the UK 991.1 GT3 owners manual.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:07 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I did Euro Delivery for my 991.1 GT3RS and nothing in the US handbook but At the factory they were adamant first 500 miles under 6000rpms the add 1000rpms every 100 miles ready for action at 800 miles. Hey that's what the guy at the factory said!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:58 PM
JWH7
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I was at PSDS a couple weeks ago - great fleet of P-cars they have you drive, all new - I think the most miles on any of the cars I drove was ~2K miles

i asked one of the instructors about "break in" - they said no need...

meh, who knows?
I was at PSDS too. In the Pits, waiting to go out out on track, I noticed my car had 115 mi. Redline was encouraged. Break in was apparently driving car off transporter.
Also PSDS was great. Their Turbo S did about 125 launch control starts in a row to cycle the class through in a day!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding from people at the factory is that all GT engines are run in on dynos at the factory. Break-in period is primarily for transmission, half shafts, etc. and to give the parts a chance to wear-in together. Their suggestion was to avoid hard launches for the first few hundred miles and it will be fine. Advice like "don't run high RPM on a cold engine" has nothing to do with break-in, that's good advice all the time.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:38 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Race7117 wrote
I did Euro Delivery for my 991.1 GT3RS and nothing in the US handbook but At the factory they were adamant first 500 miles under 6000rpms the add 1000rpms every 100 miles ready for action at 800 miles. Hey that's what the guy at the factory said!
This ^ is what I got from a Motorsport guy and the same thing Grant told me he got Andreas Preuinger's recommended break in and it was the same as Race7117 said
AP said “I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles”

So thats what I did. I just changed the oil at 650 miles and its time to GO!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

So many theories on here and I bet they all last about the same. The whole "I did it this way and now my car has 27k mi with no issues" doesn't mean anything. If your car has 227,000 mi with no issues then we'll revisit the "theory".

The engine itself is not what's going to give first on our cars (10yrs from now). The electronics, suspension, transmission, clutch, brake system, etc will likely fail way before the actual engine block. So stop worrying so damn much and drive the car as it's built to.

I kept mine under 4k for 500mi (it was difficult), 6K until 1,000mi, then maxed out after that. And no, you don't really need to change the oil right after break-in. The dirty oil actually helps the engine continues to wear to specs quicker, so maybe change the oil after 2,500mi if you're super **** or before your first track event.

I've built engines in my earlier life and knows that every moving part requires break-ins (Even handguns require about 250 rounds for it to function to its optimum level). It doesn't take very long for piston rings and rod bearings to wear in (about 500mi, variable speed driving), just don't put too much load on it under 500mi (lower RPM and lots of gas).

The "break-in" period is mostly related to tires/brakes/gears/clutch (yes DCT guys, your transmission has a clutch pack in it) to wear evenly and mate properly. The tires have a slick wax coating on it and the lawyers don't want you to hit a wall and sue Porsche. Brakes won't mate flat to the rotors until 500mi or so, so they want you to be able to stop the car at high speed. On the clutch, if you put too much load on it before it's mated to the disc then it will create hot spots (bad). They're more worried about those than you blowing up that engine, which will Never happen due to improper break-ins (oil burns maybe). The engines will last well over the warranty period no matter how you break-in so the lawyers can care less.

Last edited by Jnosol; 04-12-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:29 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

2. At factory tour in Germany, I asked couple engineers about this, and they suggested that the way the engine is built on the 4.0 engine, it is much more important to do the proper break in on this particular engine than the normal engines (3.8, 3.0 etc). They suggest me to do it.

Just what I've seen and heard but you should decide for yourself
i have a completely different experience of this in Europe. Last year I was attending the Masters PSDS at Spa. PAG needed to get a small fleet of new 4.0 GT3s to Spa for the course. The instructors were asked to go to Stuttgart and pick up a car and put 500kms on them on their way to the track. How do I know this? One of the instructors, who is a personal friend, dropped by my house with the GT3 on his way to Spa and we both drove in convoy to the track as I was participating in the same event. The next day a small fleet of brand new 4.0 GT3 hit the track all with 500kms on the clock and then boooom...max revs for the next two days.

Quick Reply: Break in Fallacy?