Autostacker Garage Lift - Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 09:09 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by foxj0001
Rudy: May I ask who did your install?
I see you are in Norcal - I had the Autostacker when I lived in San Diego and it was 3-4 years ago so I don't remember who did the install anyway.

Here in NorCal I have a four post challenger lift because my garage is too small for an autostacker. The guy who installed my lift up here is Jim Erwin at JCP Lifts. I don't know if he does Bendpak/Autostacker but he was very prompt to schedule and had the lift I needed in stock so he had me set up in just a couple of days instead of waiting 4-6 weeks for one delivered from the factory.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:06 AM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by foxj0001
Rudy: May I ask who did your install?
Your’s Truly….💪
Old 03-13-2023, 12:02 AM
genebarlow
Track Day

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Love my auto stacker! I highly recommend the wider version....
Old 05-07-2023, 08:17 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi guys...any new input on the Autostacker? Anyone else with any orders of this? Trying to compare this one for years to the 4 posts. Curious if anyone has other input of why this or the 4 post are better at this point?
Outside of cost of Autostacker, is there any other concern? Anyone have just the 110V one? I like the lack of volume (posts) when not up so has cleaner profile.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:51 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

I have had both - Autostacker in our house in San Diego (see pics above) and 4 post at our house here in NorCal.

Here are my quick summaries:
Autostacker advantages:
  • Much easier to drive on/off since you don't need to mess with ramps. This reduces the time and effort and you use the lift more frequently meaning the upper car doesn't languish for weeks because of laziness of swapping cars
  • Easy controls for up/down and locks are automatic
  • Rock solid stability (but you do have to bolt it to the floor - and it is HEAVY)
  • The whole deck has a bit of a slope to it which can help a bit with door/ceiling clearance as the car is at a slight angle
  • No need to be very precise on car placement as it is a full drive on platform
  • Control console can be placed wherever you want
  • If you are not using the lift for a while (e.g., one of the cars is in the shop for a while), you leave the lift down and just use the spot as a regular parking spot with no tradeoffs. With a 4 post, you are better off leaving the lift up (with no car on it) and parking the remaining car underneath and you still have to deal with ducking your head when getting in and out.
4 post lift advantages:
  • Cheaper
  • You can find smaller footprint 4 posts making it easier to fit in a tight garage
  • No scissor mechanism in the way of the lower car's door opening which makes getting in and out easier
  • Most can work on 110V (or 220V)
  • Can be used as a light duty working lift for things that don't require wheel removal (eg oil changes) and you can get a jack on there if needed. But for a real working lift you want a 2 post anyway
Both of my garages had physical size limitations (ceiling height & footprint) that drove the choices I made. If I had no constraints, I'd pick Autostacker over 4 post for the overall convenience benefit of just being able to drive on and off without using ramps.

Last edited by RudyP; 05-07-2023 at 08:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
cadster (05-10-2023), hlvg (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 08:59 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
I have had both - Autostacker in our house in San Diego (see pics above) and 4 post at our house here in NorCal.

Autostacker advantages:
  • Much easier to drive on/off since you don't need to mess with ramps. This reduces the time and effort and you use the lift more frequently meaning the upper car doesn't languish for weeks because of laziness of swapping cars
  • Rock solid stability (but you do have to bolt it to the floor - and it is HEAVY)
  • The whole deck has a bit of a slope to it which can help a bit with door/ceiling clearance as the car is at a slight angle
  • If you are not using the lift for a while (e.g., one of the cars is in the shop for a while), you leave the lift down and just use the spot as a regular parking spot with no tradeoffs. With a 4 post, you are better off leaving the lift up (with no car on it) and parking the remaining car underneath and you still have to deal with ducking your head when getting in and out.
4 post lift advantages:
  • Cheaper
  • You can find smaller footprint 4 posts making it easier to fit in a tight garage
  • No scissor mechanism in the way of the lower car's door opening which makes getting in and out easier
  • Can be used as a light duty working lift for things that don't require wheel removal (eg oil changes) and you can get a jack on there if needed. But for a real working lift you want a 2 post anyway
Both of my garages had physical size limitations (ceiling height & footprint) that drove the choices I made. If I had no constraints, I'd pick Autostacker over 4 post for the overall convenience benefit of just being able to drive on and off without using ramps.
Thanks so much Rudy. Supports my considerations already. Would love to hear anyone else's opinions if able.
I really appreciate your response!
Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Autostacker advantages:
4 post lift advantages:
  • Cheaper
Thanks for the comparison. Which 4 post do you have?
Old 11-03-2023, 04:21 AM
Wudee
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have experience with installing outdoor underground car lift and what that roughly costs?
Old 11-03-2023, 09:50 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Wudee
Anyone have experience with installing outdoor underground car lift and what that roughly costs?
I would imagine the costs are going to vary greatly depending on things like soil conditions, excavation costs, water table depth and what you have to do to keep water out.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:57 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Autostacker advantages:
Not recommending one or the other but on my bendpak four post, I have enough garage length that the ramps are always in the down (ready to drive on) position. I have these C clamps that bendpak sells, but which i had remade slightly thicker, that hold the ramp flat so that at 6'2" I can walk upright under them. I don't have to touch the ramps for driving on or off.
That said I could see the advantage of not having columns to work around on the garage door side of the lifts.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:44 AM
Wudee
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I would imagine the costs are going to vary greatly depending on things like soil conditions, excavation costs, water table depth and what you have to do to keep water out.
We made an offer on a different home where currently there is a swimming pool in the basement extending approx 7mtrs under the driveway. As I don't really see much use for a pool an idea is to change that into an underground parking for two cars and make into a nice man cave. I own a 991 GT3T and 718 Boxster GTS.

The beauty of having the pool is that the building work would be limited (in my non-builder mind) to opening up de roof of the basement.
No need to dig deeper for the lift, actually there would be less sand required to fill up the pool (lift needs 82cm deep hole to be installed)
Need drainage created where the liftopening would be.
Pool has separate fuse box etc so less work to upgrade electrics.

I made a quick call to a company that sells and installs lifts and was pretty shocked about the price for lift (75k USD). The guy suggested two lifts instead of one wider as that is more reliable and easier in operating. It would be a telescopic set up goor for 6tons. The price indicated would kill the idea for me as I find it disproportionate compared to other work we also need to do to the house.

I am keen to hear if anyone has experience with such a set-up and get a feel for options and pricing.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2023, 10:40 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Thanks for the comparison. Which 4 post do you have?
It is a Challenger CL4P7 - basically the smallest footprint 4 post I could find. I have very limited space in my garages.

Originally Posted by midcont
Not recommending one or the other but on my bendpak four post, I have enough garage length that the ramps are always in the down (ready to drive on) position. I have these C clamps that bendpak sells, but which i had remade slightly thicker, that hold the ramp flat so that at 6'2" I can walk upright under them. I don't have to touch the ramps for driving on or off.
That said I could see the advantage of not having columns to work around on the garage door side of the lifts.
Very good point. I do not have enough room for that (see above) but for those who do, that is a significant convenience advantage.

Last edited by RudyP; 11-08-2023 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:17 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett
Do you track the Caymen, what track purpose mods did you do?

Curious as I'm at crossroads for a track car. I've tracked 981, 718 GT4 and 991.2 GT3. Sold my 718 GT4 this year. Thinking to build a Cayman track car (not race car) or get a 991.2 GT3RS should prices come off their inflated level.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Range 44
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my autostacker. I got the wider model. It has worked great for me through many cars over the years. With the GT3 FAL is needed to not scrub or you can use some boards. I had to use these with my GT4. Definitely leave some room in the back for the overhang of the rear bumper and wing.

The following users liked this post:
Chris M. (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:08 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Range 44
I love my autostacker. I got the wider model. It has worked great for me through many cars over the years. With the GT3 FAL is needed to not scrub or you can use some boards. I had to use these with my GT4. Definitely leave some room in the back for the overhang of the rear bumper and wing.
What’s your ceiling height?

Quick Reply: Autostacker Garage Lift - Initial Impressions