Sponsored by:

Autostacker Garage Lift - Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 04:36 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Autostacker Garage Lift - Initial Impressions

i got some time to mess with my new Autostacker lift as well as take some pics, so i wanted to post my initial impressions of the lift. at this point, i haven't used it enough to have a whole lot of impressions yet, but overall i like it and am pleased.

we have two oversized "two" car garages at our home. each garage has a regular 16' wide x 9' high door. one of the garages houses my wife's cayenne diesel and our trailex trailer. the other garage can comfortably fit 3 cars in parallel, currently a GT4, a 993 C2, and a 991.2 C2S cab. i wanted to add a lift to this garage as i have an incoming GT3RS which was just delivered to the dealer last week. i won't be able to pick it up for another 2 weeks (pic below!).

initially i was looking at 4 post lifts. a friend of mine's father in law owns Advantage Lifts. i talked with them extensively and really like their products, but a 4 post lift would have made it very difficult to get 3 cars parallel into this garage as the 2 cars up against the wall have to be cut at an angle to get them through the garage door and then up parallel to the stem walls. based on this, i felt that the Autostacker was the best solution as i really was going for more of a storage lift than a mechanic's lift. below are my initial impressions as well as info based on questions that others have asked.

-lift install cost: $950. took 1/2 a day for 2 guys. overall, they did a good job but were a bit messy.
-electrician cost to wire it up to 220V: $500
-the 2 floor plates are each bolted to the concrete floor with 3 bolts. it seems very solid.
-the lift is not flat. it tilts to the front to allow easy access for low clearance cars. no clearance issue with the GT4 front lip or rear spoiler.
-the car under the lift cannot be fully backed under the lift due to the clearance between the doors and vertical scissor parts of the lift mechanism.

i will post follow up impressions after more use. feel free to ask any additional questions.

Last edited by cbrett; 10-21-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: edit
The following 4 users liked this post by cbrett:
bertram928 (10-15-2019), cadster (04-11-2020), ROCKSTAR. (12-30-2020), Watson (11-03-2023)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Very cool.

I have. a four post lift but if I was to get another, Id look at one of these seriously.

Are you able to slide the stacker back against the wall a bit more? Seems like some empty space back there....
Old 09-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty neat and doesn't look like it takes up much room.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:07 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks neat but are you able to open the doors of the car if you were to pull in forward instead of backing in?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:10 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Very cool.

I have. a four post lift but if I was to get another, Id look at one of these seriously.

Are you able to slide the stacker back against the wall a bit more? Seems like some empty space back there....
yeah, we could have probably pushed it back another foot but i wanted some wiggle room back there. plan to store my jacks and jackstands back there.
The following users liked this post:
technivoro.us (09-01-2019)
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like how simple and clean it is

how high are your ceilings?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fskof
Looks neat but are you able to open the doors of the car if you were to pull in forward instead of backing in?
yes, they can be opened but the car cant be pulled all the way forward. I can take a pic showing that too.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 684 Posts

Very cool with small footprint .

Can you control the height increments, like a 4 post lift?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 36 Posts

I’m looking at one of these also...
I have a benpak 4 post lift already and I’m trying to make my 2 car garage into a 4 😬! (I didn’t build the house).
My question is: Is there any “lift action” necessary to release the platform from a raised locked position before lowering it?
With my 4 post, I must use the hydraulics to lift the platform about 2-3 inches before I can disengage the pneumatic safety locks. I only have limited space when my x5 is parked under the GT4 (6-8 inches).

Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the review. Considering one of these as well.
Could you please post that pic of the car in forward with drivers side door open so we can see that?
Would your wife's Cayanne fit under it?
Your ceilings don't look particularly high. Can the lift go higher if you had a higher ceiling?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SGS
Like how simple and clean it is

how high are your ceilings?
my ceiling is max at 10.5' with a very gentle down sloping grade towards the front of the garage.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Very cool with small footprint .

Can you control the height increments, like a 4 post lift?
yes, there are multiple "bump stops" at the base which allow you to set it at different increments.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:56 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Provie
I’m looking at one of these also...
I have a benpak 4 post lift already and I’m trying to make my 2 car garage into a 4 😬! (I didn’t build the house).
My question is: Is there any “lift action” necessary to release the platform from a raised locked position before lowering it?
With my 4 post, I must use the hydraulics to lift the platform about 2-3 inches before I can disengage the pneumatic safety locks. I only have limited space when my x5 is parked under the GT4 (6-8 inches).

yes, you must raise the lift several inches past a bump stop to allow it to unlock. then you can lower it. sounds similar to your 4 post.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Thanks for the review. Considering one of these as well.
Could you please post that pic of the car in forward with drivers side door open so we can see that?
Would your wife's Cayanne fit under it?
Your ceilings don't look particularly high. Can the lift go higher if you had a higher ceiling?
the first pic shows the door opening at a comfortable position, ie relatively easy to get out. the second pic shows the car more forward with it more difficult to open the door. there is rubber lining the inside of the vertical portions of the lift to prevent door dings.

yes, the lift can go higher. i believe i am at the 2nd of a total of 7 bump stops. if my ceilings were higher, i could fit the cayenne under it.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Stunning stable

Quick Reply: Autostacker Garage Lift - Initial Impressions