Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car & Driver Lightning Lap 2018: GT2 RS sets all time record

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 293 Posts

I see tires always being brought up and yes different tires can have significantly different results, but it also seems that using the OEM tires is fair as that is the tires the OEM decided to use. Once you start changing the tires, you might as well make other mods.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That dude in Performante didn't know what he was doing. So bad driving
Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

As someone mentioned, C&D uses their editors to drive the cars and they don't always appear to be very good drivers.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The question I have is why both the .1 and the .2 GT3 never made it to motor trends best drivers car. Both! We never get a pobst time for either car at laguna
I think because they would be automatic winners every year
Old 09-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where does it had Corsa on it? It says Trofeo R, which are the Pirelli's softest and fastest tire. Actually they are faster then the Cup 2 N1,
Old 09-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Keawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I got the Corsa settings mixed with the Corsa tires, I agree the driver had no idea what how to drive the Performante. I am sure with the right setting and driver it would very close.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Is it possible Porsche didn't make the cars available for them?

at this juncture seeing all the comparisons that the .2 GT3RS is not making there’s no doubt in my mind that PAG is behind this.

You explain to me why the to .2GT3 RS which PAG made such a big stink about how much improved it was and about how it smashed the seven minute barrier at the Ring is nowhere to be seen in any of these comparisons where the GT2RS arrives. Who do you think controls what car is the press gets ?

The GT3RS was only 1.5 seconds down Per mile at the Ring from the 2RS with a 180 hp deficit which is a very fast sweeping circuit and the 3RS posted faster lap times then the cars at other tracks which were a whisker away from the 2RS times at VIR on the lightning lap test .

Seems to me PAG does not want the current halo 2RS upstaged or even have the 3RS post a competitive time to it or or even beat it at tighter closer circuits such as Angelsy.

i call BS
Old 09-21-2018, 10:55 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
I see tires always being brought up and yes different tires can have significantly different results, but it also seems that using the OEM tires is fair as that is the tires the OEM decided to use. Once you start changing the tires, you might as well make other mods.
I agree with you. What about alignments, suspension settings, aero settings etc.? There is no way to standardize all the variables.

Originally Posted by rsierra
As someone mentioned, C&D uses their editors to drive the cars and they don't always appear to be very good drivers.
It is representative of what most track day guys can get out of their car. It is easy to criticize another driver, but if we are objective, and look at video, most of us are not that good when compared to professional drivers. Go and read some of the comments about how Kevin Estre left time on the table during that epic lap of the Nurburgring in the 991.2 GT3 RS...

Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But different drivers.

Different days, different track conditions can lead to hand fulls of seconds variance.

If anyone cares to understand the problems with these types of magazine tests, read the last 4 paragraphs on page 9:

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/9/

Old 09-21-2018, 02:08 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Is it possible Porsche didn't make the cars available for them?
Seems like the case... From C&D website in reference to the weak showing in the truck category:
"Porsche raised an eyebrow at the idea of supporting four cars. We agreed that the 718 Cayman GTS, 911 GT3, and 911 GT2 RS were the more important and interesting entries, and so the Macan Turbo stayed home"
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw this yesterday. Mighty impressive!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman

Different days, different track conditions can lead to hand fulls of seconds variance.

If anyone cares to understand the problems with these types of magazine tests, read the last 4 paragraphs on page 9:

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/9/

These type of articles are going to ruin the internet.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:20 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
These type of articles are going to ruin the internet.
Maybe. Never let truth get in the way of a good story.

Then again bench racers and brand loyalty will likely keep heated debates going no matter what.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:22 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these are MY18 cars. Isn't the new mk2 3RS MY19 car hence it wasn't included in the test. I for one blame tires for unfair results but at the end of the day, it is what is standard from the manufacturer and what car the manufacturer sends to them that they use. Can't blame the magazine or testers. I'm a 720S owner and would enjoy seeing the car come out on top and always say why not use Trofeos as the competition are sending cars with Cup R and Trofeos to make it fair. But that's what Mclaren decides to send to the test so what can we do. At the end of the day, it is also marketing, I'm sure the 720LT will come out in the future with Trofeos and that will be a big help in justifying that the car is indeed much faster than the regular version.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:22 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you're absolutely right about that. The LT will only have a little extra hp and it's additional aero will have more effect on looks than in most tracks. Not trying to do it down by the way. It will be awesome and no doubt an even better driver's car than the 720S. But if it gets stickier tyres that will make the biggest difference to lap times.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Lightning Lap 2018: GT2 RS sets all time record