Sponsored by:

The right .1 or a fair .2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:31 AM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The right .1 or a fair .2

Ever since my last test drive of a 991.1 GT3, I can’t get the car out of my head. I didn’t pull the trigger because the options weren’t what I wanted but I’m still searching for the right car. ADM’s are ridiculous at the moment but I prefer a .2 GT3. If I decide to wait until spring, would I at least expect a little better deal on a used .2? Will the price slightly drop? Finding the right .1 is getting a bit hard so I’m consider the .2 or may have to settle for an R8 V10.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:58 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

IMHO, prices will go down for a few months on the .2, but will bounce back a little during spring driving season after production ends, then resume their decline. .1 should continue to see a steady decline. Overall, I think the .1 will lose less in absolute dollars because they have already taken a hit.

What spec are you looking for? There are a lot of .1 and .2 for sale. The only thing that seems hard to find at the moment are tourings, but a lot of them should be build this quarter and a bit into next year so supply should increase. :-)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree with above

.1 is great but .2 even better (I’ve had both).

Lastly, if you find a car you like then don’t be shy and make an offer. That’s what I did and I got my ideal spec in the price range I was willing to pay.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

What are you looking for in the .1?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Impossible to say where prices go. If the economy tanks both will take a hit. Obviously the .1 is a lot less expensive, and you get a 10 year, 120k mile warranty on the engine, so that might make a difference to you. But the .2 is the better car as it is newer, but it also comes with a pretty big premium. Can't go wrong either way.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Impossible to say where prices go. If the economy tanks both will take a hit. Obviously the .1 is a lot less expensive, and you get a 10 year, 120k mile warranty on the engine, so that might make a difference to you. But the .2 is the better car as it is newer, but it also comes with a pretty big premium. Can't go wrong either way.
.2 is a marginally better car on the track. .1 is a better value, especially right now. If going PDK there is really not that much difference for most drivers and the cost of a .1 leaves you a good deal more cash for consumables. The extra warranty, especially if CPO’d cannot be underestimated since there are also more data points on .1s.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

At the current prices, I can't justify the price difference between a 991.1 and a 991.2, it is too broad for the minimal gains.

For street driving, it truly is a small difference if you drive a 991.1 GT3 up to a 991.2 GT3 RS.

For track driving, find what type of track driver you're: beginner, intermediate, advance, competitive time trials, hill climbs?

For most GT3 drivers, the performance their cars put on paper/factory tests/magazine tests do not match what they can do with their cars.

If I were in the market for a GT car, and I wanted the most value for my money, I would go 991.1 GT3 with LWB seats and steel brakes on a color that I like.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:25 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

It really depends of whether you want a manual or not. If you are happy with PDK I would do a .1. I have owned both. I would rather have a .2 but I was able to get it at MSRP. My .2 is a manual.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC PORSCHE
Ever since my last test drive of a 991.1 GT3, I can’t get the car out of my head. I didn’t pull the trigger because the options weren’t what I wanted but I’m still searching for the right car. ADM’s are ridiculous at the moment but I prefer a .2 GT3. If I decide to wait until spring, would I at least expect a little better deal on a used .2? Will the price slightly drop? Finding the right .1 is getting a bit hard so I’m consider the .2 or may have to settle for an R8 V10.
I highlighted part of what you posted above. Who knows what the prices are going to be next year for the .2 GT3. The .1 is a bargain compared to the .2, but I don't think anything that you have to pay $100K+ can be considered a bargain. If you can afford either car, let me post you these scenarios. If you bought the 0.1 and feel good because you did not get suckered into paying the extra money, then get the 0.1. However, if you bought the 0.1 and felt like you got second best, then you will never be satisfied and should spring for the 0.2 instead. Another way is to flip a coin, and if you got disappointed with the result, you know to get the other! Basically, only you can make the choice. GL!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Neebs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a similar boat as OP. Trying to decide which is better value between right option .1 GT3 with 2-3 years of warranty including CPO in $115 - 130k range or new / close to new .2 GT3 at about MSRP (most of them $165k+ MSRP). Looking for PDK. Will track it 3-5 days a year and otherwise mostly DD. Both will hopefully be a big upgrade from 981 CS (which I love btw). Hold period is probably 2-4 years. Up front cost delta is $40-50k
Old 10-13-2018, 02:18 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
At the current prices, I can't justify the price difference between a 991.1 and a 991.2, it is too broad for the minimal gains.

For street driving, it truly is a small difference if you drive a 991.1 GT3 up to a 991.2 GT3 RS.

For track driving, find what type of track driver you're: beginner, intermediate, advance, competitive time trials, hill climbs?

For most GT3 drivers, the performance their cars put on paper/factory tests/magazine tests do not match what they can do with their cars.

If I were in the market for a GT car, and I wanted the most value for my money, I would go 991.1 GT3 with LWB seats and steel brakes on a color that I like.
Originally Posted by Banango

.2 is a marginally better car on the track. .1 is a better value, especially right now. If going PDK there is really not that much difference for most drivers and the cost of a .1 leaves you a good deal more cash for consumables. The extra warranty, especially if CPO’d cannot be underestimated since there are also more data points on .1s.
Originally Posted by carcommander
It really depends of whether you want a manual or not. If you are happy with PDK I would do a .1. I have owned both. I would rather have a .2 but I was able to get it at MSRP. My .2 is a manual.
Originally Posted by Palting
I highlighted part of what you posted above. Who knows what the prices are going to be next year for the .2 GT3. The .1 is a bargain compared to the .2, but I don't think anything that you have to pay $100K+ can be considered a bargain. If you can afford either car, let me post you these scenarios. If you bought the 0.1 and feel good because you did not get suckered into paying the extra money, then get the 0.1. However, if you bought the 0.1 and felt like you got second best, then you will never be satisfied and should spring for the 0.2 instead. Another way is to flip a coin, and if you got disappointed with the result, you know to get the other! Basically, only you can make the choice. GL!
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I’m coming from a history of turbo AMG and M vehicles with a lot of torque out the factory. I know the GT3 is the complete opposite of these kind of cars but I’m a car nut and want something naturally aspirated. I already drove a 991.1 gts. It was a great car but I feel I would be “settling” with that model. I love everything the GT3 has to offer. If I can find the right Porsche, I wouldn’t mind jumping on it.

I have a few questions. Will I suffer with the GT3 around town? I wouldn’t be tracking but love the rawness the GT3 offers. I’ve learned that the .2 had a more manageable ride and a bit more torque down low. Also, are the buckets a pain to deal with? I would be doing mainly day to day driving and don’t want to be too uncomfortable in them. A lot of the .1 cars have them but I’m not sure how they feel yet. Even if CPO, doesn’t the warranty run out soon regardless of the 10 year engine warranty? I’ve never owned a car out of warranty before. I’m going to test drive a GT3 this week. Sorry for all the questions. I’ve never owned a Porsche before and I’m very curious.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:25 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

If I were going to DD one I would get sofas. Buckets are comfortable but you need to be reasonably athletic to get in and out of them. If you can afford it I would buy a barely used .2.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Given your criteria, I would buy a low mileage.1 wth sofas and add a fidelity platinum warranty, enjoy!

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I love the LWB seats in my Touring. I took the car on a 10 day, 3,500 mile trip in July and was very pleased with how comfortable they were, even with several 8+ hour days. I do find that if passengers are a bit on the heavy side, they can be too tight. And as you've heard, they are a bit of pain to get in and out of. At 63, it makes me feel young that I don't have any issues with ingress and egress. As an avid autoxer, I appreciate how they hold you. They don't look bad either...
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC PORSCHE
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I’m coming from a history of turbo AMG and M vehicles with a lot of torque out the factory. I know the GT3 is the complete opposite of these kind of cars but I’m a car nut and want something naturally aspirated. I already drove a 991.1 gts. It was a great car but I feel I would be “settling” with that model. I love everything the GT3 has to offer. If I can find the right Porsche, I wouldn’t mind jumping on it.

I have a few questions. Will I suffer with the GT3 around town? I wouldn’t be tracking but love the rawness the GT3 offers. I’ve learned that the .2 had a more manageable ride and a bit more torque down low. Also, are the buckets a pain to deal with? I would be doing mainly day to day driving and don’t want to be too uncomfortable in them. A lot of the .1 cars have them but I’m not sure how they feel yet. Even if CPO, doesn’t the warranty run out soon regardless of the 10 year engine warranty? I’ve never owned a car out of warranty before. I’m going to test drive a GT3 this week. Sorry for all the questions. I’ve never owned a Porsche before and I’m very curious.
The .2 GT3 is surprisingly supple, you'll be surprised given your car history. The LWB's are comfortable for long drives, but getting in an out of them daily or several times a day day to day driving will be a bit of a chore. Supple suspension, raw performance, no track (shame )..........go with the 0.2 rather than the 0.1 and get 4 way seats rather than LWB's

Quick Reply: The right .1 or a fair .2