Hoosier Strange Wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,733 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Mpsc wear on the outside first because they are dual compound. The outer tread is much softer than the inside. That is why even wear on cup2 is impossible.
I guess that means if you toast your tires at the track, you can still limp home on the road pretty easily (when going straight, -1.5 degrees of camber is enough to ride on the inside harder compound).
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

anyone try less camber with hoosiers to try to move the wear laterally? It's unconventional, but only 4 or 5 sessions is more economically stupid than Gillette's ill-advised attempt at social justice warrior shaming their best customers..
Old 01-18-2019, 06:58 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread may be of interest re R7 wear issues.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1097514-have-r7-s-changed-disturbing-grooving.html
Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I’ve given up on Hoosiers.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I’ve given up on Hoosiers.

you running slicks? Any suggestions on alignment and setup?
Old 01-20-2019, 04:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Same as Hoosiers.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A/S
That's normal wear on Hoosiers in a 991 GT3, 991 Turbo S, 991 GT3 RS. I have been running Hoosiers on the 991 RWS the last 3 years, same issue as the pictures when I didn't know the R7 better.

It is due to excessive toe, and it cannot be fixed, even setting static rear toe to zero (a no-no for a 911).

The type of racetrack is what is going to determine if the early wear shows up. Lots of turns at more than 50mph, RWS will be working on those turns. Lots of turns below 30mph, RWS will be working there too.

To give an idea on how much toe-in (or toe-out below 31mph) RWS produces, my static stock toe-in setting in the back is 0.5 degrees total (0.25 degrees per side). When RWS is active in the GT3/GT2/RS it steers (or counter steers) by 1.5 degrees, so on 50+ mph turns, the loaded rear tire will be at 1.75 degrees toe-in for most of the turn, that's massive, 7 times more toe-in than stock. Hoosiers are not designed for RWS cars, I think most tires are not, the exception being Dunlop/Pirelli/Michelin and their work with Porsche/Lambo/Mercedes/Audi. It is even more bad in the 991 Turbo S, my TTS RWS turns 3 degrees.

Hoosiers need more camber, I run -3.2 degrees in the back and stock toe (0.25 degrees per rear corner). My Hoosiers (have gone through many sets) show these same cords inside and out, my target hot pressure in the back is 34 psi. The pictures above are from cars with little camber for Hoosiers, they need a lot.

The treaded part of my rear Hoosiers (those dotted lines in the middle two rows) are pristine, but both edges cord pretty early. I check my tires before every track session, one track session won't do that unless track sessions run for 30+ minutes.

Sebring eats Hoosiers, that's an extra factor, Sebring has an abrasive concrete, it just eats Hoosiers. I get 8 20 minutes sessions on Hoosiers before rear cords.

My front tires never cord, but if I put new rears and old fronts, the car pushes and I'm already maxed out for sway bars (I run full soft front, full stiff rear), so I have a nice collection of 235 and 295 Hoosiers that have plenty of life and grip but no longer usable.

They are still my favorite tire. Tried Yoko, Michelin, GY, Pirelli, dunlop slicks through the years, ended with Michelin and Pirelli as my preference, but 4 heat cycles and $2500 per set, no thanks.
Circling back on this after talking with John at trackdaytire.com with a couple questions if you don't mind? Even though it's ideal for hoosiers, wouldn't more neg camber make this worse? Also, wouldn't toe-in cause accelerated wear on the outside of the tire, so this is likely a toe-out issue? The only problem with this theory is that the inside wear is worse on the driver rear than the passenger rear, so there's really only 1 high load corner at Sebring (T1) that would have toe-in on the driver's side...

Could this maybe be trailbrake related which I think causes extra toe-out? I TB heavily - anybody know what RWS does under TB? If it is in-phase steering, the inside tire may be getting a huge double dose of toe-out under braking and in-phase steering?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Circling back on this after talking with John at trackdaytire.com with a couple questions if you don't mind? Even though it's ideal for hoosiers, wouldn't more neg camber make this worse? Also, wouldn't toe-in cause accelerated wear on the outside of the tire, so this is likely a toe-out issue? The only problem with this theory is that the inside wear is worse on the driver rear than the passenger rear, so there's really only 1 high load corner at Sebring (T1) that would have toe-in on the driver's side...

Could this maybe be trailbrake related which I think causes extra toe-out? I TB heavily - anybody know what RWS does under TB? If it is in-phase steering, the inside tire may be getting a huge double dose of toe-out under braking and in-phase steering?
As I stated before, the wear is due to excessive toe caused by RWS, and it cannot be fixed. No matter what you do for static camber, or static toe setting to your 991 GT3, the Hoosiers will continue to wear like that at Sebring, and it is not a Hoosier tire problem, it is RWS and its 1.5deg of camber change.

It could be fixed if you find a way to disable RWS. And, if you find a way to disable RWS, Andreas Preuninger is on record saying that RWS is the equivalent to remove 100Kg from the car (220 lbs) or add 68 Hp, you'll be back to 997.1 GT3 lap times. Disable RWS (if that's even possible) and your Hoosiers will last just another day (they will cord in and out in 16 track sessions anyway).

RWS, combined with the cheese-grater surface at Sebring and the track layout at Sebring accelerate the wear. The places where this wear is worse are T1, T6, T8, T9, T11 and Bishop's bend. On your next track outing, place a GoPro facing to the rear tires (I did) so you can see the RWS system at work. It is in these high speed turns where RWS is working but the car is dragging the tires with excessive toe (it doesn't matter if toe-in or toe-out, rear tires are being dragged) at high speeds. You could reduce the wear at Sebring, by setting the rear camber to something like -0.5 degrees, but they will wear fast anyway, as they are being dragged for too long at something in excess of 15mm toe per tire, massive toe.

If you want the most predictable (and easier to drive) alignment, the alignment specs need to match the tire/wheel, the racetrack, and the driver. Most GT3s driven out there would be fine running less than 1 degree of camber, because those drivers park their cars at every turn, then go all-out on the straights. Their alignments need the best contact patch on straight line, and that requires 0 camber, as they are great on accelerating and braking on straight line. There are better cars than a GT3 for the point-and-shoot drivers to produce better lap times for them.

I'm a little slow at Sebring, my best laps there are 2:15s in my 2016 RS on these Hoosiers (295/345). I run my cars at Homestead, PBIR and Daytona most of the time. At PBIR my Hoosiers are happy, at Homestead too, at Sebring they cord the inside as your first pictures (I don't let my tires get that bad, I inspect them before every session). At Daytona, I avoid Hoosiers as they cannot handle the downforce and the rear weight in the 991 TTS and 991 GT3 RS, at this place only MPSC2 or TrofeoR.

I went through 9 alignments in my .1 GT3 RS, as I try to optimize the car for a specific set of tires/wheels. Started with -2.5 camber all around, different front and rear toe settings, eventually ending in -4.0 camber front and -3.2 rear. I have to start from scratch with the 991.2 GT3 RS, as the spring rates are drastically different and the car has full monoballs, but for Sebring that wear will continue. I'm going to test Michelin slicks next, as Hoosiers are letting me down a bit on track days (the things love rotating on the wheels, and my car only keeps the wheel balance for one session, I don't even balance my track wheels anymore).
Old 01-24-2019, 06:13 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Good technical information.

A shop near me that does a lot of setup work on GT cars says they run zero toe in the rear. Any possibility this would mitigate the issues we're discussing on a car with RWS?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Good technical information.

A shop near me that does a lot of setup work on GT cars says they run zero toe in the rear. Any possibility this would mitigate the issues we're discussing on a car with RWS?
Nope, it won't. When the rear wheels turn, they turn 1.5 degrees. These cars don't use a lot of static toe-in from the factory, Porsche has been using 0.25 degrees per rear corner for ages. 0.25 degrees is pretty small, 1.5 degrees is 6 times that, and that's what RWS would do. 991 Turbo S: 3 degrees, I once corded a set of 315 rear Hoosiers in 26 laps (3 track sessions at Sebring in my TTS).
Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

A/S - again, very helpful, thank you. For backdrop - you aren't slow at Sebring, and I'm not a point and shoot guy either - have 20+ years of club racing and DE experience - run low 2:20's on MPSCs and upper teens on hoosiers in a completely stock 2014 GT3.

The super-hard interior rubber of the MPSCs makes a lot more sense given the toe-induced wear. Also makes sense why extra neg camber doesn't help as much with those specific tires.

I suspect trailbraking is making this worse, but it sure is fun and smooth to left foot brake and transition to the gas while still under braking. Hope to see you out there.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:43 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Inside face cording on mine also.

Quick Reply: Hoosier Strange Wear