Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:41 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default .2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?

Calling all Track Rats with a 991.2 GT3 RS.

I’m looking to learn what alignment specs you all are using as a base-line starting point.

Appreciate anything you can share.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

https://youtu.be/R6RCbL1Woh4
How many days on Dunlops (fast and total)?

These modern multi-compound tires are not sensitive to alignment at all - more camber just pushes more of the hard inner compound into the tarmac, potentially even reducing the grip. But still, stock alignment is probably optimized for highway more than track, so maybe there are gains to be had, if not at speed probably in balance and/or longevity.

I wonder what the Manthey Racing recommended set up is. I know some people took GT2 RS and GT3 RS cars to them for set up. As much as I value their intellectual property rights, I'd love to copy their set ups.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

A lot of it depends on driver likes, track, tire pressure and tires. TrakCar has tried a lot of set ups and tires...check his posts.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
A lot of it depends on driver likes, track, tire pressure and tires. TrakCar has tried a lot of set ups and tires...check his posts.
Totally agree. However, I know the stock set-up is likely optimized for tire longevity and typical street driving. From previous GT-car experiences I do know I want more camber front and rear.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

These modern multi-compound tires are not sensitive to alignment at all - more camber just pushes more of the hard inner compound into the tarmac, potentially even reducing the grip. But still, stock alignment is probably optimized for highway more than track, so maybe there are gains to be had, if not at speed probably in balance and/or longevity.

I wonder what the Manthey Racing recommended set up is. I know some people took GT2 RS and GT3 RS cars to them for set up. As much as I value their intellectual property rights, I'd love to copy their set ups.
Wonder if they would sell me their specs.....

https://youtu.be/R6RCbL1Woh4
Thanks Joe!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Only one day on them so far. I've missed out on 4 track days I was planning on going to because of this pdk vent line leak on my car that PAG is taking their sweet time on deciding what to do.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

There was a great post by someone in another thread where they said that stock works well for almost all of us and those that could use a change know enough where they don't go to a forum to ask for setups. Driving styles vary greatly. I can give you a great example I saw in spec miata racing this year. A guy I know is always trying to 'copy' what the top drivers setups are and each time he messes around with trying emulate them, the car gets slower. I bought his car off of him during a race weekend to use as a spare between my buddy and surely enough I needed the car for the last race. My mechanic warned me that the setup would be janky and sure enough I found it to be very unstable and had a hard time keeping it under control. What works for one does not work for all.

If you guys really want to know, the factory driver at Leipzig told me they run -3 up front and -2.7 in the rear. However, that is on a cup2R setup, which grips a TON more than oem rubber and will need more camber.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:22 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

There was a great post by someone in another thread where they said that stock works well for almost all of us and those that could use a change know enough where they don't go to a forum to ask for setups. Driving styles vary greatly. I can give you a great example I saw in spec miata racing this year. A guy I know is always trying to 'copy' what the top drivers setups are and each time he messes around with trying emulate them, the car gets slower. I bought his car off of him during a race weekend to use as a spare between my buddy and surely enough I needed the car for the last race. My mechanic warned me that the setup would be janky and sure enough I found it to be very unstable and had a hard time keeping it under control. What works for one does not work for all.

If you guys really want to know, the factory driver at Leipzig told me they run -3 up front and -2.7 in the rear. However, that is on a cup2R setup, which grips a TON more than oem rubber and will need more camber.
Interesting that the factory setting comes with that much camber. I was thinking of going -3+ camber front and rear. I'll probably get adjustable sway bar links after I add the roll bar, lithium battery, and take out the side paper weights. What do you have your sway bars set at? Did you remove the pucks from underneath the car in the front (like the GT4)? I was also thinking about adding a wing lip gurney along with going max downforce on the wing.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Interesting that the factory setting comes with that much camber. I was thinking of going -3+ camber front and rear. I'll probably get adjustable sway bar links after I add the roll bar, lithium battery, and take out the side paper weights. What do you have your sway bars set at? Did you remove the pucks from underneath the car in the front (like the GT4)? I was also thinking about adding a wing lip gurney along with going max downforce on the wing.
I don't know what factory setting is, actually. I'm having dealer check to see if mine is in factory spec while there. The setting i quoted above is what Porsche used during their sub 7 min run at the ring on cup2 R tires.

My sway bar settings are middle middle right now. The car feels pretty damn good. Not sure if I will change it. Will drive some more and then see. Yes, I removed the air dams under the car like in the GT4.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:18 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check with Mike Levitas. They have done many setups on modern GT cars plus all the laps they did developing the DSC module for the 991.1.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:18 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know what factory setting is, actually. I'm having dealer check to see if mine is in factory spec while there. The setting i quoted above is what Porsche used during their sub 7 min run at the ring on cup2 R tires.

My sway bar settings are middle middle right now. The car feels pretty damn good. Not sure if I will change it. Will drive some more and then see. Yes, I removed the air dams under the car like in the GT4.
Nice updates Joe!

My inclination is the Dunlop is the quicker track tire, and the Michelin the better street tire.

For me, I'd run 20" Hoosier R7 on track and cup 2's on the street.

Can you share some pics of tire wear on Cup 2's? And how many sessions have you run them?. Did you use them up before switching to the Dunlop tires?

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 12-23-2018, 06:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Nice updates Joe!

My inclination is the Dunlop is the quicker track tire, and the Michelin the better street tire.

For me, I'd run 20" Hoosier R7 on track and cup 2's on the street.

Can you share some pics of tire wear on Cup 2's? And how many sessions have you run them?. Did you use them up before switching to the Dunlop tires?

Best Regards,
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I agree with you that the Dunlops are the better track tire and the cup2s are the better street tire. I still have to prove it for myself, but based on the experience of another good driver, I'm pretty sure we're right. I laugh at the people who complain about getting the Dunlops. The problem with the cup2s is that they are great for one day. The second day they are not bad, about 1 second slower. The third day they are 2-3 seconds slower, but still have decent tread left. I didn't take pics of my factory cup2s, but I had 2 long days at the ring and spa followed by one day at laguna for a total of 3. The front tires still had plenty of tread and the rear tires had the typical cup2 outer edge wear. The tires just didn't grip the way an r comp track tire should, so I tossed them. Sorry, I didn't take pics. I went back 2 days later and my lap time went from 1:36.5 down to 1:34.1 with the new Dunlops at laguna. I was going to run 2 days at laguna this weekend to prove the tires don't slow down, but Porsche is killing me by not being more proactive about getting my pdk leak fixed.

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-23-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Thanks, Dave. I agree with you that the Dunlops are the better track tire and the cup2s are the better street tire. I still have to prove it for myself, but based on the experience of a another driver, I'm pretty sure we're right. I laugh at the people who complain about getting the Dunlops. The problem with the cup2s is that they are great for one day. The second day they are not bad, about 1 second slower. The third day they are 2-3 seconds slower, but still have decent tread left. I didn't take pics of my factory cup2s, but I had 2 long days at the ring and spa followed by one day at laguna for a total of 3. The front tires still had plenty of tread and the rear tires had the typical cup2 outer edge wear. The tires just didn't grip the way an r comp track tire should, so I tossed them. Sorry, I didn't take pics. I went back 2 days later and my lap time went from 1:36.5 down to 1:34.1 with the new Dunlops at laguna. I was going to run 2 days at laguna this weekend to prove the tires don't slow down, but Porsche is killing me by not being more proactive about getting my pdk leak fixed.
Not to rub it in but rather hoping it may help - Porsche Burlingame replaced my PDK entirely within 3 days of a drop-off for a recurring oil leak. The first time they replaced a pan, and it took ~5 business days because shipping took longer.

Anyway, looking forward to updates on Dunlops. MPSC2 are good, and I don't have as much of a problem with having a slow day when they get to wear bars, but I hate when fronts get there before rears and because of the grip impbalance the car starts to understeer so badly it's just plain frustrating.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Any of you tried Trofeo R ? Don’t hear much about them...plus I do t know how they do on the street. I don’t have a 2nd set of track wheels.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Any of you tried Trofeo R ? Don’t hear much about them...plus I do t know how they do on the street. I don’t have a 2nd set of track wheels.
You get 6-8 good heat cycles and then the tires lose their magic. Best street tires I've tracked with are still the RE-71Rs on my GT4...good on the street and in the wet and great grip at the track when warmed up with lots of cycles.

Quick Reply: .2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?