Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by hlc
Threads like this are why I love Rennlist. Thanks Robmypro

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Nice cars for sure, but....

From the other lane on Sat. I wasn't as impressed with the ZR1 as I thought I'd be. We raced heads up in the 11.00 Index class.

I had to hit the brakes to try to keep from breaking out and still ran a 10.80 @ 120 to the ZR1's 10.92 @ 129 (what seemed to be full out because I was watching him inch up on me after the 1/8 mile).

My earlier pass when hotter was a 10.78 @ 127.28. (Europipe and an OTS Cobb Stg. 2 - pump 93 tune and that's it.)

I killed the ZR1 to the 1000 ft. but it seemed to find Legs after that, as he was coming, but not quite like to thought, given the 755 HP that car has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7e-9Wfwzxo

I don't think dragging this car would be easy. It would take a good driver to manage this thing off the line. Not surprised you killed in for the 1st 1000 feet. You don't just mash the peddle and hold on with this thing! My GT3 would be quicker in the 1/4 I think, until I got a lot more skills.

Originally Posted by viprklr
Awesome wriiteup on both cars. I own a 15 GT3 & have been a passenger in my buddies 19 ZR1 at the track. The ZR1 is shockingly fast with the added ******** squeezing benefit of scary in your face appeal. Have fun & be safe.
i have a new C8 coming in January. Can’t wait.
Congrats on the C8 and thanks! Totally agree. Scary in a good way...I think! lol She's is a beast!

Originally Posted by catdog2
Sexy car that ZR1 in a naughty kind of way ....
Bad to the bone.

Originally Posted by tbutz
Nice post! I can totally relate, my last car was a 2018 ZL1 Camaro that I had exhaust work, intake work and a tune put on it. It was cranking out near 700 HP and a total beast! I tracked it a lot, mostly at Sebring and it was scary fast. My lap times were always around 2:28-2:30 depending on traffic but it felt a whole lot faster due to being scared. Street driving was lots of burn outs, hooliganism and one giant speeding ticket, but lots of fun! I ended up hitting a wall at Daytona on a damp day and just about totaled it. Was not hurt thanks to a good harness and HANS, though it was the end of the car. My 2018 GT3 feels slow compared to the Camaro, though it's like the difference between a chain saw and a scalpel. I have it at the shop right now getting a Fabspeed center delete added along with painting the rims black. Have not been back to the track as my wife has threatened divorce, though hope to track it as soon as the weather cools off this Fall, usually easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!
Glad you weren't hurt. At the end of the day that is all that matters. The ZL1 is a beast. There's something to be said for a **** ton of torque! Chainsaw vs scalpel is right!
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Not trying to be an a**, but no one cares about your modded 997.2 Turbo beating a C7 ZR1 at the drag strip.
I do, and that's all the really matters to me.
Public forum, and I was just sharing since the ZR1 was up for topic.

But Thanks, for not "Trying" to be an A$$! lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
JMartinni (10-03-2019), Napoli (10-02-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
I don't think dragging this car would be easy. It would take a good driver to manage this thing off the line. Not surprised you killed in for the 1st 1000 feet. You don't just mash the peddle and hold on with this thing! My GT3 would be quicker in the 1/4 I think, until I got a lot more skills.
Agreed. However, this guy must have done a very good job. He cut a 1.7 60ft. with it. Bad thing is, I never found out if his was a manual or and Auto. I assume that car has a form of "launch control". He came out of the hole well.

That 755 hp was coming though. 1/2 race or even a "roll race" event and the ZR1 would have got me for sure.

BTW, I wasn't knocking on your car...or as that other guy posted to me, "Not trying to be an As$". I just love all types of cars and racing and thought I'd share.

Thank you for not taking offense like some did.

David
Old 10-01-2019, 12:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

A few more thoughts...

1. The sounds are really good. I would say it is on par with the GT3 exhaust sound, although if I had to choose one the GT3 is slightly better with the Sharkwerks. With a Corsa exhaust I think the ZR1 would sound better. When you floor it all hell breaks loose. And no, I don't really here the blower wine like a Hellcat.

2. The 7 speed manual is a lot of fun, but I struggle a little from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th. I just don't have the feel for the gear at those changes. Working on it! The clutch is light and is really easy to feather the throttle. I have not stalled it yet. I have been able to get out of the hole by feathering the clutch, but as soon as the clutch is fully released it is going to break loose. Need a lot more right foot control!

3. You can use three driving modes. Tour, Sport and Track. You can also set the exhaust note and steering independently. For example, Tour driving mode, track exhaust and sport steering, You can also have them linked to the driving mode so when you are in sport driving, you get sport steering and exhaust. I drive in sport mode, sport steering and track exhaust.

4. The infotainment is really good. Super intuitive. But I like my GT3 a little better, just because I am more familiar with it.

5. Getting into the ZR1 feels a bit more cramped than the GT3. You can program the ZR1 to put the seat all the way back when you get in/out, but I still feel like I am more cramped getting in or out of it. Not a huge deal, but if you are tall good luck.

6. At night the LEDs on my GT3 are much brighter. It is the best headlights I have ever had on a car. The ZR1 are better than my old 2005 LX 470, but nowhere near as good as the GT3.

7. The ZR1 provides a lot more information about the engine, performance, etc. vs the minimal GT3 info. There are pages and pages of info to look at in the ZR1, and it has a built in data recorder.

8. I really like the HUD on the ZR1. First, it is clear even when wearing polarized sunglasses. Second, you can change the HUD to show just your speed and the posted speed limit, or various tach/speedometer combos.

9, The gauge cluster is sharp, easy to read, and customizable. It can be linked to the driving mode as well, showing just the tach, or other info. I am still learning about it.

10. I do not feel like there are any real blind spots while driving. It does not match the visibility of the GT3 but this isn't a Camaro either. It is above average, with the exception of the BIG *** BLOWER sticking out of the hood, which makes seeing the right side harder.

11. The ZR1 comes with a 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The powertrain is 5 years/60,000 miles. I extended everything to 7 years/70,000 for $3k.

12. There's a lot of rear space. You can easily fit a couple full size luggage back there. But good luck getting them in the car, as the wing makes it hard to get anything in the rear, unless you go from the sides.

13. The main display slides down, and there is a charging usb/port and storage area to put your wallet, phone, sunglasses, etc. It is a nice little hidden area that gives you more space to put stuff. The center console also has a charging usb/port and can easily fit a phone and wallet. The cup holders are pretty solid too, but you are going to wear whatever is in there the first time you jump on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by robmypro:
basil2000 (10-01-2019), C5driver (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Agreed. However, this guy must have done a very good job. He cut a 1.7 60ft. with it. Bad thing is, I never found out if his was a manual or and Auto. I assume that car has a form of "launch control". He came out of the hole well.

That 755 hp was coming though. 1/2 race or even a "roll race" event and the ZR1 would have got me for sure.

BTW, I wasn't knocking on your car...or as that other guy posted to me, "Not trying to be an As$". I just love all types of cars and racing and thought I'd share.

Thank you for not taking offense like some did.

David
All good David. I didn't take your comments the wrong way. At the drags there are a ton of variables. A 911 Turbo is a very tough nut to crack!
Big Swole (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Love the write up and comparisons...keep 'em coming!! Living your best life Rob, love it!! Seems like GM is really trying with the Corvette brand...can't wait to read your future C8 ZR1 vs. GT3 thread!! LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Akunob:
C5driver (10-01-2019), SB27 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:29 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

A few more thoughts...

<SNIP>
Always a pleasure reading your detailed thoughts and looking forward to more! This is a great time to be able to experience these cars and we're very fortunate to have the variety.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

[QUOTE=Big Swole;16139162]Nice cars for sure, but....

From the other lane on Sat. I wasn't as impressed with the ZR1 as I thought I'd be. We raced heads up in the 11.00 Index class.

I had to hit the brakes to try to keep from breaking out and still ran a 10.80 @ 120 to the ZR1's 10.92 @ 129 (what seemed to be full out because I was watching him inch up on me after the 1/8 mile).

My earlier pass when hotter was a 10.78 @ 127.28. (Europipe and an OTS Cobb Stg. 2 - pump 93 tune and that's it.)

I killed the ZR1 to the 1000 ft. but it seemed to find Legs after that, as he was coming, but not quite like to thought, given the 755 HP that car has.

/QUOTE]

You're joking, right? It's a RWD car that runs in the 10's stock and you're saying it's not that impressive because it wasn't as fast as a modded AWD car? Not to mention every other variable there is: Were his tires fresh or worn? Did he shift well enough, miss a gear, or bog? Can the guy drive all-out to begin with?

How long is that nose you're looking down?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

joking, right? It's a RWD car that runs in the 10's stock and you're saying it's not that impressive because it wasn't as fast as a modded AWD car? Not to mention every other variable there is: Were his tires fresh or worn? Did he shift well enough, miss a gear, or bog? Can the guy drive all-out to begin with?

How long is that nose you're looking down?
First off, I just like racing and cars of all types.

But since you asked!

-My car ran a 10.96 @ 124.1 last year STOCK!!
-First those that KNOW drag racing. His 1.7 60 foot time SHOWS he got a Good launch (regardless of tires / bog / shift / etc. you bring up)
-Yes, his 10.92 @ 129 shows he was going all out, as well as the fact I physically WATCHED him outside my right window / mirror the whole race. That's the gauge I used on where to hit the brakes (not soon enough obviously) so I didn't break out (but did, as he did).
-The difference in MPH trap shows I was on the brakes vs. my previous run in worse conditions weather wise.

So, Thank you for "playing" but if you knew drag racing, you might not have had to ask.
BTW, my "nose" is short and humble..I'm just a regular guy that works a **** ton of OT to afford my huge payment each month after buying my "bucket list" car that cost about half what the new ZR1 does. I'm not some rich arrogant guy in here. I come here for fun, to learn, to share, etc.
I'm just blessed to eve own this older car compared to many in here that would consider it "pocket change".

I'm just a car / racing enthusiast that likes posting / talking / chatting about all awesome cars. Now, for ALL THOSE that seem to be Butt Hurt by my post. GTF OVER IT!!!

Wow!
The following 3 users liked this post by Big Swole:
C5driver (10-01-2019), mr965 (10-03-2019), rodsky (10-03-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 02:55 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks for sharing all of that. Was definitely a pertinent and useful post. I think it's awesome you taking your car to the strip. Good for you. Sometimes others just have to open their mouth just to open it.
Big Swole (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Akunob
Love the write up and comparisons...keep 'em coming!! Living your best life Rob, love it!! Seems like GM is really trying with the Corvette brand...can't wait to read your future C8 ZR1 vs. GT3 thread!! LOL
Originally Posted by C5driver
Always a pleasure reading your detailed thoughts and looking forward to more! This is a great time to be able to experience these cars and we're very fortunate to have the variety.
Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

11. The ZR1 comes with a 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The powertrain is 5 years/60,000 miles. I extended everything to 7 years/70,000 for $3k.
Took the plunge. Can you share who you got your warranty through and contact info?
richk (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

A few more thoughts...

1. The sounds are really good. I would say it is on par with the GT3 exhaust sound, although if I had to choose one the GT3 is slightly better with the Sharkwerks. With a Corsa exhaust I think the ZR1 would sound better. When you floor it all hell breaks loose. And no, I don't really here the blower wine like a Hellcat.

2. The 7 speed manual is a lot of fun, but I struggle a little from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th. I just don't have the feel for the gear at those changes. Working on it! The clutch is light and is really easy to feather the throttle. I have not stalled it yet. I have been able to get out of the hole by feathering the clutch, but as soon as the clutch is fully released it is going to break loose. Need a lot more right foot control!

3. You can use three driving modes. Tour, Sport and Track. You can also set the exhaust note and steering independently. For example, Tour driving mode, track exhaust and sport steering, You can also have them linked to the driving mode so when you are in sport driving, you get sport steering and exhaust. I drive in sport mode, sport steering and track exhaust.

4. The infotainment is really good. Super intuitive. But I like my GT3 a little better, just because I am more familiar with it.

5. Getting into the ZR1 feels a bit more cramped than the GT3. You can program the ZR1 to put the seat all the way back when you get in/out, but I still feel like I am more cramped getting in or out of it. Not a huge deal, but if you are tall good luck.

6. At night the LEDs on my GT3 are much brighter. It is the best headlights I have ever had on a car. The ZR1 are better than my old 2005 LX 470, but nowhere near as good as the GT3.

7. The ZR1 provides a lot more information about the engine, performance, etc. vs the minimal GT3 info. There are pages and pages of info to look at in the ZR1, and it has a built in data recorder.

8. I really like the HUD on the ZR1. First, it is clear even when wearing polarized sunglasses. Second, you can change the HUD to show just your speed and the posted speed limit, or various tach/speedometer combos.

9, The gauge cluster is sharp, easy to read, and customizable. It can be linked to the driving mode as well, showing just the tach, or other info. I am still learning about it.

10. I do not feel like there are any real blind spots while driving. It does not match the visibility of the GT3 but this isn't a Camaro either. It is above average, with the exception of the BIG *** BLOWER sticking out of the hood, which makes seeing the right side harder.

12. There's a lot of rear space. You can easily fit a couple full size luggage back there. But good luck getting them in the car, as the wing makes it hard to get anything in the rear, unless you go from the sides.

13. The main display slides down, and there is a charging usb/port and storage area to put your wallet, phone, sunglasses, etc. It is a nice little hidden area that gives you more space to put stuff. The center console also has a charging usb/port and can easily fit a phone and wallet. The cup holders are pretty solid too, but you are going to wear whatever is in there the first time you jump on it.
Rob,

I suggest two mods for you:

1 - Akrapovic full titanium exhaust. This will yield 43.2 lbs of weight savings, it will give you decent 25hp, and it sounds insane. No comparison to GT3, maybe that JPL exhaust.

2- MGW shifter. Its like bolt action, made in USA, and will fix 4-5-6 vagueness. It is great and a step above the shifter found in 991.2 GT3. The GT3 shifter still has a plastic feel to it. MGW is all CNC metal, pure art.

Another optional mod is a set of HRE wheels. Stock wheels in ZR1 are spun forged. They weigh 30 lbs. Stock tires are run flat. They weigh 5 lbs more per corner. If you invest in a set of HREs and non run flat tires, you will drop 60 lbs of unsprung mass. Coupled with akra, you are now in 3400 lbs range which for 800 hp/750 torque, and manual, pretty spectacular. No other car in the world that matches those specs and has a manual transmission.
The following 4 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Big Swole (10-01-2019), catdog2 (10-02-2019), robmypro (10-02-2019), thebishman (10-02-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The only one i drive now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billy Wyatt:
basil2000 (10-01-2019), mfreak (10-22-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:56 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

I honestly dont think there is a car on the planet right now that can tick as many boxes as ZR1.

what rob hasnt mentioned is you can take the top off and have a convertible with this car. Its incredible.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs ZR1 - More observations...