Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
WTF was BMW thinking?
There not thinking -obviously!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 04:17 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
In many ways, their collaboration with Subaru (GT86) is more successful than their work with BMW (Supra)...
I think it rather generous of you of referencing "their work with" BMW on the Zupra.

It seems to me that it is a Z4, wholly engineered and built by BMW with a different skin (albeit largely identical interior.)
Old 10-25-2019, 04:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by horns
What is so bad about the Supra? I haven't really followed it. I know it isn't a Toyota, it has Japanese styling which might not be everyone's taste, but the few things I've seen written haven't been too critical. This thread makes it out to be a disaster. Again, I don't have much upon which to form an opinion, so curious what the big issues are.
It is a Supra. With a car having that much history and heritage, to end up making it a parts bin BMW was really unacceptable. It shows that the people in charge at Toyota do not even understand their own history. I just think the car deserved better, and by Toyota partnering with BMW it makes you wonder if Toyota can build something special anymore. They would have been better off taking one of their high performance Lexus models and starting there. But this approach was just not right given the heritage. jmho!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Consider this with a really good Lexus engine...

Old 10-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
It is a Supra. With a car having that much history and heritage, to end up making it a parts bin BMW was really unacceptable. It shows that the people in charge at Toyota do not even understand their own history. I just think the car deserved better, and by Toyota partnering with BMW it makes you wonder if Toyota can build something special anymore. They would have been better off taking one of their high performance Lexus models and starting there. But this approach was just not right given the heritage. jmho!
I think Toyota could have done a much better job but decided to produce a cheap product that should have been named something different. The Lexus LC500 is a great looking car imo and worthy of "supra" badging
Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Funny enough I made this post while getting all excited about how good 992 GT3 was going to be in view of the 992 S coming in first place... but the dead last zupra is just as interesting to discuss. Everyone loves a train wreck
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 08:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,867 Likes on 4,810 Posts

The coolest thing about the Zupra is when you step inside and sit down you become instantly transported into a Z4.

The Toyota salesperson told that was an OEM standard feature, free of charge.

Obviously everyone is just wrong. There was no cost cutting by Toyota.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:43 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I think Supra, Lexus Track Edition, Infinity Qsomething are all pseudo sports cars, designed to attract customers that do want a "sporty" look, but want heavy and comfy seats, a somehow noisier exhaust, but smooth and comfortable ride. Handling, crispy transmission shifts, and lightness are not what they were engineered for. These are aimed to serve all those that want to drive a "sports" car but do not either want to spend German/British car coin or are not able to give up a smooth ride. And some fans of Transformers as well. Just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

What I found impressive was:

0-60mph in 3.0s
0-100mph in 7.3s
1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 124mph

These figures are right there with the 991 GT3RS. Then Randy Pobst lapped Laguna Seca on Pirelli PZero:

1:35.52 on street rubber, no MSPSC2 or Cup2R, that's fast. Very few DE Cup drivers have gone faster on better tires with a GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS.

We know the next 992 GTS will perform better than the 992 Carrera S, and a simple change of tires to the Porsche-spec track capable street tires (GoodYear SuperSport, Michelin Cup2, Dunlop SportMaxxRace) will make these 992 S and GTS perform better lap times.

The next GT3 will need to perform better, and it will.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:02 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by br911
I think Supra, Lexus Track Edition, Infinity Qsomething are all pseudo sports cars, designed to attract customers that do want a "sporty" look, but want heavy and comfy seats, a somehow noisier exhaust, but smooth and comfortable ride. Handling, crispy transmission shifts, and lightness are not what they were engineered for. These are aimed to serve all those that want to drive a "sports" car but do not either want to spend German/British car coin or are not able to give up a smooth ride. And some fans of Transformers as well. Just my opinion.
This is exactly what makes Porsche GT cars more special and these "pseudo sports cars" are just Cruisers usually owned by people who already have a "race car" on their stable Lol. I'm also a fan of Transformers

I have nothing against the "Zupra" (except for the label) and would probably buy one if ever made in a manual version
Old 10-25-2019, 10:46 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
What I found impressive was:

0-60mph in 3.0s
0-100mph in 7.3s
1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 124mph

These figures are right there with the 991 GT3RS. Then Randy Pobst lapped Laguna Seca on Pirelli PZero:

1:35.52 on street rubber, no MSPSC2 or Cup2R, that's fast. Very few DE Cup drivers have gone faster on better tires with a GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS.

We know the next 992 GTS will perform better than the 992 Carrera S, and a simple change of tires to the Porsche-spec track capable street tires (GoodYear SuperSport, Michelin Cup2, Dunlop SportMaxxRace) will make these 992 S and GTS perform better lap times.

The next GT3 will need to perform better, and it will.
Yep, I’m excited to see what the 992 GT3RS brings!
Old 10-25-2019, 11:21 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Yep, I’m excited to see what the 992 GT3RS brings!
+1 I'm sure will be faster/capable but there is much more to it than just being faster
Old 10-25-2019, 11:25 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Was very pleased to see the 992 win!

I was very surprised by the supra performance, and not quite sure what may have been wrong with their car, for them to take it to the dealer on the drive up. They seemed to believe the car didn't 'drive well' on the roads... but no one else has said that. I have the new Supra, and love the way it drives.

Also, I was surprised for the Supra to be so 'awkward' on the street, yet beat out the M2 Competition which 'conservatively' is making 50 more hp... so on the 'track' the Supra seems to punch well above it's weight class.. for a car with realistically 380hp.

I love that the Supra is a BMW on the inside and undercarriage... with the Toyota styling.

Just sold my 3RS for a ZL1 1LE... so I'm probably a bit crazy lol!

But for now... I'm enjoying the Supra (Autox) and the ZL1 1LE (for One Lap).

Best regards,
Dave
Old 10-25-2019, 11:43 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCCAForums

I was very surprised by the supra performance, and not quite sure what may have been wrong with their car, for them to take it to the dealer on the drive up. They seemed to believe the car didn't 'drive well' on the roads... but no one else has said that. I have the new Supra, and love the way it drives.

Also, I was surprised for the Supra to be so 'awkward' on the street, yet beat out the M2 Competition which 'conservatively' is making 50 more hp... so on the 'track' the Supra seems to punch well above it's weight class.. for a car with realistically 380hp.

I love that the Supra is a BMW on the inside and undercarriage... with the Toyota styling.

Best regards,
Dave

There will be a TRD supra 3000GT concept reveal at Sema
The following users liked this post:
SCCAForums (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums

Best regards,
Dave
Did Robbie just do a wrap on your 1LE

Quick Reply: Motor Trend COTY *spoilers*