Sponsored by:

991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 12:53 PM
991DUC
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport

I currently have a 991.2 GT3 that is pretty well set up for the track with a half cage and Track alignment that I run with Hoosier R7’s.

I am seriously considering buying a new Cayman 718 Clubsport Competition Race Car to replace the Gt3 as my track car as I really don’t drive the GT3 on the street much. I will have a garage at my local track so a race car will be pretty accessible.

My thought process is that the Clubsport will be safer and handle better on track while also giving me the option of club racing. I also think running costs will be similar with the exception of slicks being a little more expensive. My only hesitation is that the engine in the Gt3 is so special. I think the Clubsport should be slightly faster lap time wise even at the bigger tracks than the Gt3 with Hoosiers.

Any thoughts or advice from those who have made similar switches or drive a Cayman Clubsport?
Old 12-27-2019, 01:38 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 991DUC
I currently have a 991.2 GT3 that is pretty well set up for the track with a half cage and Track alignment that I run with Hoosier R7’s.

I am seriously considering buying a new Cayman 718 Clubsport Competition Race Car to replace the Gt3 as my track car as I really don’t drive the GT3 on the street much. I will have a garage at my local track so a race car will be pretty accessible.

My thought process is that the Clubsport will be safer and handle better on track while also giving me the option of club racing. I also think running costs will be similar with the exception of slicks being a little more expensive. My only hesitation is that the engine in the Gt3 is so special. I think the Clubsport should be slightly faster lap time wise even at the bigger tracks than the Gt3 with Hoosiers.

Any thoughts or advice from those who have made similar switches or drive a Cayman Clubsport?
I'll be running a 718 Clubsport MR next year primarily for DE and some club races.

I ran a 991.2 GT3 on Hoosiers and a 991 GT2RS last 2 seasons and in my hands based on research I expects the Clubsport to be materially faster than my GT3 and a bit faster than the GT2RS (I did not run on cup R's though).

So expect to be faster but some other considerations are materially incremental on and off track race car setup/support costs and no race car insurance on and to the track with most trailer insurance policies.

As for the all mighty GT3 engine, it's great for a street car but I found it underwhelming on track having to wait to rev all the way to 9k to get incremental power. Also that engine is a $100k track liability ; Clubsport engine half the cost.
The following 3 users liked this post by kkabba:
JAhmed (12-27-2019), porscheflat6 (11-05-2020), usrodeo4 (07-29-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 01:56 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 981 Clubsport and a RS, and I prefer the CS over the RS on track. Nothing feels like having a factory built race car with a proper cage in it. Slicks will fall off fairly quickly but are really stickyfor the first 3 to 5 heat cycles, but if you are just doing DE events, you can go as many as 12 to 15 heat cycles on like Pirellis and Yokohamas. Maintenance on the CS has been pretty routine, with just an oil change every 1000 miles and a brake bleed every so often. The car is very reliable and just runs every time. And, you can pretty much self support yourself at the track with this car, as it doesn't need anything more than just a tire change.
The following 2 users liked this post by skxf430:
porscheflat6 (11-05-2020), usrodeo4 (07-29-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 02:26 PM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by skxf430
I have a 981 Clubsport and a RS, and I prefer the CS over the RS on track. Nothing feels like having a factory built race car with a proper cage in it. Slicks will fall off fairly quickly but are really stickyfor the first 3 to 5 heat cycles, but if you are just doing DE events, you can go as many as 12 to 15 heat cycles on like Pirellis and Yokohamas. Maintenance on the CS has been pretty routine, with just an oil change every 1000 miles and a brake bleed every so often. The car is very reliable and just runs every time. And, you can pretty much self support yourself at the track with this car, as it doesn't need anything more than just a tire change.
Thanks for feedback on clubsport requiring minimal setup/support for DEs.

Any other surprises guys that are considering or moving from a GT car to a clubsport should consider?

What do you do for insurance for paddock and transporting race car in trailers?

What changes to your driving styles do you make when going from high horsepower GT on street tires to Clubsport?
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (11-05-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 02:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,735 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
What changes to your driving styles do you make when going from high horsepower GT on street tires to Clubsport?
No direct experience (other than street GT4 and GT3), but I think you will be entering corners at a faster speed. The mid-engine platform does not require the slow-in fast-out approach of a 911. You will be braking less and later than you are used to, in order to carry maximum momentum.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:02 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are only doing DE's and not PCA club racing you could get the DeMann 4L engine upgrade (I think they also have 4.2 and 4.5L upgrade$ also??!!)
It will get you close the GT3 engine feel/sound/performance with the safety and ease of drivability of the Cayman platform. It is pricey though.

I tracked my 991.1 GT3 and a 981 GT4 quite a bit over the last 4 years, and thought about either upgrading the GT4 motor to the Demann or going the Clubsport route +/- Demann......but decided on a 991.2 RS instead

GT4 chassis (especially the new 718 CS) is a great platform for DE's, so I think you have the right idea if you don't drive the GT3 on the road much anyways and you don't have to trailer back and forth since you can keep your track car at the track...sounds ideal to me

My PB at WGI with GT4 on used Pirelli DH slicks was only 2 seconds off PB GT3 on Trofeo R stickers, so the pace is close with better tires
Old 12-27-2019, 03:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,485 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I had RS and CS
on track CS way more fun
The following 4 users liked this post by mooty:
911therapy (12-27-2019), kfmcmahon (12-27-2019), porscheflat6 (11-05-2020), usrodeo4 (07-29-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 03:56 PM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
I had RS and CS
on track CS way more fun
Unless you're training for a career in racing, the fun factor is what's its all about on track.

Happy to hear the clubsport is more fun than an a 3RS on track - my track modded gt4 was a total snooze fest on the track.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:03 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Go with all the experience in the posts above. A dedicated racecar is just that: safer, built to be hammered, cheaper to operate and promotes proper driving behavior.

Folks above have covered feel and performance. I'll add that you progress faster as a driver with a consistent platform in the CS. There's less temptation to keep "modding" this and that when you're already driving the best product out of PMNA. That in itself is a variable eliminated and allows you to focus more on YOURSELF, ain't that what this is ultimately about?

Lastly, it's also easier to insure a proper (and cheaper) track car.

Enjoy the path forward! You won't look back.

The following 3 users liked this post by CRex:
kfmcmahon (12-27-2019), porscheflat6 (11-05-2020), usrodeo4 (07-29-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 06:21 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
I'll be running a 718 Clubsport MR next year primarily for DE and some club races.

I ran a 991.2 GT3 on Hoosiers and a 991 GT2RS last 2 seasons and in my hands based on research I expects the Clubsport to be materially faster than my GT3 and a bit faster than the GT2RS (I did not run on cup R's though).

So expect to be faster but some other considerations are materially incremental on and off track race car setup/support costs and no race car insurance on and to the track with most trailer insurance policies.

As for the all mighty GT3 engine, it's great for a street car but I found it underwhelming on track having to wait to rev all the way to 9k to get incremental power. Also that engine is a $100k track liability ; Clubsport engine half the cost.
Since when is a GT3 engine $100k? And what is "materially incremental"? Lol
Old 12-27-2019, 06:30 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have little to no desire to drive on the street, then this is a no brainer. The running costs are much less for the clubsport. I enjoy tracking it a heck of a lot more. I miss the gt3 engine no doubt. but, its much more satisfying to lay down a better lap (and quicker lap) in the clubsport with a lot less power. The balance and grip and brakes on the cubsport are insanely good.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:52 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I too have a Clubsport and GT3. Candidly, they are much different and I much prefer the CS. It obviously doesn't have the same power as a GT3 but it is predicable and a fun experience. I've had (have) other track cars and the CS is truly at the top of my list. I'm a huge fan of them.
got2go (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts

I don't have any experience behind the wheel yet but went through similar thought process and my 718 GT4 CS was delivered earlier this month. Keeping the ,2 GT3 for now. I already had a truck/ trailer and wanted the safety of a race car. The cage is a work of art and the recaro P1300 seat is great. I'm going to start on Hankook slicks based on feedback from some friends. Not sure how many cycles I'll get but the cost of a new set is less than MPSC2.

Have you contacted PMNA yet? I don't know if they are still building competition versions.
CRex (12-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:38 PM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by zedcat
I don't have any experience behind the wheel yet but went through similar thought process and my 718 GT4 CS was delivered earlier this month. Keeping the ,2 GT3 for now. I already had a truck/ trailer and wanted the safety of a race car. The cage is a work of art and the recaro P1300 seat is great. I'm going to start on Hankook slicks based on feedback from some friends. Not sure how many cycles I'll get but the cost of a new set is less than MPSC2.

Have you contacted PMNA yet? I don't know if they are still building competition versions.
When deciding between the Competition and MR version, I was told a few weeks ago that there were Competitions available at both PMNA Cali and Atlanta. The MR and the track versions have to be built and will come from Germany.
zedcat (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

From what I've seen at CHIN and other Advance DE's (not racing), the GT4 Clubsports are generally slower than a .2 GT3 on slicks. Saftey and fun are different factors and I'm talking about DE events at WGI, Mosport, VIR. An RS would be even faster. Again I'm not commenting on fun factor as I have never driven a Clubsport and believe it would be a blast to drive. The Clubsports had to be driven by race car level drivers near the limit to even keep up with a .2 GT3 on slicks. And that 9000 RPM is so intoxicating.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport