Sponsored by:

Value of GT CARS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 09:18 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
My medical background. I'm a cardiac surgeon. I ran ECMO (life support device for people in heart or lung failure - exactly the last ditch life saving device COVID sometimes requires) for Stanford and do it now for a healthsystem covering 4.2 million patients. You can check out my analysis at https://medium.com/@richha. Because of this, I'm immersed in the COVID crisis planning and am a first responder - and having to make extraordinarily difficult decisions. In addition, I've trained in Trauma surgery at Oakland County. I live and work in Santa Clara County - one of the hardest hit counties in California (albeit we are avoiding the sadness and tragedy of NY).

Trauma and infection are two completely different pathophysiologies. You cannot equate the two. Driving has been made as safe as possible with the safety innovations. The risk of you getting on the road and dying is far less than 0.5% (best case scenario mortality right now for COVID). Imagine if getting into your car had that fatality rate. Would you feel good about the 1 in 200 chance you might die?

The exponential spread is another issue: one person driving on the road and causing an accident doesn't equate to 3 more people causing an accident and those those 3 cause 9 other accidents. It doesn't work that way. On the other hand, having a virus unchecked will exponentially infect the whole population. Even the best case fatality rates of 0.5% would equate to 100s of millions of deaths. Unchecked.

Also, you have to take into account the time course here. Without substantial social distancing measures we are looking at 100,000+ deaths in the US... in under 4 months. Total number of deaths for car accidents 2018? 36,000. If you don't social distance - this 100k? That will be worse, and you would have more deaths from one virus than a 10 years of car accidents.

Finally - injury/death related to vehicular trauma has been mitigated extensively over the years. If we were still bouncing around in no seat belt, no crush zone cars - with this many people on the roads travelling this fast - I'm sure nobody would drive until it was safer. We don't yet have a vaccine/treatment that is clearly effective. The only thing we can do is mitigate via social distancing.

My last plea here. The physicians I work with day and day out are putting their lives on the line. I've seen it. But they're not only putting their lives on the line. Their putting their families on the line. I've yet to see one single front line physician (ICU doc, ER doc, surgeon, etc) say - we should not social distance. We're smart enough to manage 4 adrenalin drips, a complex ventilator, kidney failure for 10 patients? We also are smart enough to know what's the best way to fight this. We see what this virus does day in and day out. I've seen some ****. But I've never seen anything like this on this level. And it scares me and everyone around me.

People on this forum are by and large motivated and intelligent people. I believe that. I also believe some of the stuff I'm reading about this virus comes from fear, denial, concern for economic self preservation - and those are all VALID feelings. I get it.

But trust me on this one, you don't want this virus.
One of the most intelligent posts I've seen on the topic. You are being too generous in your assessment of deaths "without social distancing" in the U.S. as being in the 100,000+ range. Sure, you have the "+" sign but the starting point over a four month period without social distancing, and over four months, would be in the millions. We will likely be at 100,000 deaths within weeks if not sooner, with extremely aggressive measures taken by a majority of states. And this is over a period of just over a month from sub-100 measured cases.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:36 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I see “unmitigated” and “unchecked” thrown around a lot when discussing these models. Is the models’ assumption that people are dumb animals unable to adjust the risks/rewards of their own actions to new information about their surroundings, and that they must be prodded by force like cattle to make these adjustments?

The analogy with car accident deaths is much more apt than many here acknowledge. It is a fact that lives would be saved if there were 90% less cars on the roads, if 35 airbags per car were mandated, or if traffic was banned outright. Why aren’t “we” mandating any of these things to “save lives” instead leave all these deaths “unmitigated” and “unchecked”? Why not do the same with every other aspect of these dumb animals’ lives?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,874 Likes on 2,222 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I see “unmitigated” and “unchecked” thrown around a lot when discussing these models. Is the models’ assumption that people are dumb animals unable to adjust the risks/rewards of their own actions to new information about their surroundings, and that they must be prodded by force like cattle to make these adjustments?

The analogy with car accident deaths is much more apt than many here acknowledge. It is a fact that lives would be saved if there were 90% less cars on the roads, if 35 airbags per car were mandated, or if traffic was banned outright. Why aren’t “we” mandating any of these things to “save lives” instead leave all these deaths “unmitigated” and “unchecked”? Why not do the same with every other aspect of these dumb animals’ lives?
There are plenty of historical precedents that people will do dumb things in response to a threat they don't understand, like an exponentially growing pandemic caused by an invisible enemy. It's also very well established that risk perception is heavily influenced by social factors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
ForeverCar (04-07-2020), SpeedyD (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess some rather be rich and dead than poor and alive. Money can always be made. Can't bring your family and friends back. Its a small sacrifice to make right now. Some people need to change the channel and not listen to the talking bobble head that lies on a daily basis. We're playing catch up and have to shut it down for a longer period since it wasn't done nationally earlier. Healthcare workers are dying from doing their job and people want to use "car accidents" and the flu to get back to work so more people can be infected and clog up a health care system that can't handle it. I don't remember health care workers dying by coming to work because of the flu. Once people can get face masks and easily tested, then we'll be able to go back to a semi normal society.

The following 4 users liked this post by carz80am:
neoprufrok (04-07-2020), SpeedyD (04-07-2020), superfast02911 (04-07-2020), trader247 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 10:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
There are plenty of historical precedents that people will do dumb things in response to a threat they don't understand, like an exponentially growing pandemic caused by an invisible enemy. It's also very well established that risk perception is heavily influenced by social factors.
Great article about models. Lot’s of actual data and good charts. Well worth a read in full...

https://wmbriggs.com/post/30182/

Therefore, the model believers cannot claim that they saved us from 1 to 2.2 million deaths. Because that claim is based on the model being accurate. And it isn’t.

Yet you and I both know they will still claim credit. I heard the news conference Monday night at which they were already starting to take credit.

Who takes credit for the flu going away? How does it go away without massive intervention? How much more would totals be for coronavirus without intervention?

If it’s right, then the lock downs are working. Turns out firing people from their jobs and locking them inside keeps them from dying of things like car crashes. All we have to do, if we want to save lives, is lock people away forever. Right?

Look how many people would be saved from flu deaths if we locked everybody down, and not just the elderly or sickest. Why don’t we? Why not every year do a lock down? Answer below.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:20 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carz80am
I guess some rather be rich and dead than poor and alive. Money can always be made. Can't bring your family and friends back. Its a small sacrifice to make right now. Some people need to change the channel and not listen to the talking bobble head that lies on a daily basis. We're playing catch up and have to shut it down for a longer period since it wasn't done nationally earlier. Healthcare workers are dying from doing their job and people want to use "car accidents" and the flu to get back to work so more people can be infected and clog up a health care system that can't handle it. I don't remember health care workers dying by coming to work because of the flu. Once people can get face masks and easily tested, then we'll be able to go back to a semi normal society.
You are not following the discussion. It’s not about money vs lives. It’s about lives vs lives, and a lot of them too...
Old 04-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you to all the doctors, nurses, hospital workers, first responders,, police, fire and even essential personnel, like grocery store employees out there dealing with this. You folks are incredibly brave and deserve our praise and thanks. In 1918 the practice of social distancing was a well established method of dealing with an epidemic. But President Wilson chose to ignore the Spanish Flu and social distancing in favor of war production and crowded war bond drives. The US suffered 600,000 dead in a population around 100 million. If we project a similar situation, and similar losses, unchecked today, that's about 1.8 m dead. That number is unacceptable and will have a serious impact on everyone's future. We can't let this happen. For now, the immediate, try not to worry about the value of your car, your 401k or anything other than keeping yourself, your family and everyone else safe. Stay home. There will be a vaccine, this will end and the economy will return.
The following 7 users liked this post by Suitcase:
999 (04-11-2020), basil2000 (04-07-2020), carz80am (04-08-2020), D1ESEL (04-07-2020), Marv (04-07-2020), neoprufrok (04-07-2020), rodsky (04-07-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Reality is this. Due to massive social upheaval and aggressive mitigation efforts (stay at home being the one that really works) the actual deaths will be significantly reduced.

Absent these extreme measures, we would see death rates in the tens of millions (globally). These would be incremental, avoidable deaths.

The avoidable piece has a near-term economic impact. A severe one, sure, but a far, far smaller economic impact than incremental deaths in the tens or hundreds of millions in the economically advanced countries alone. This is what Bill Gates understands - and he has a pretty good handle on both global health and global economics.

Those who argue the cure is "worse than the disease" are either parroting unfortunate and ill-informed tweets, or severely misunderstand both the virus and economics.

The value of exotic cars in either scenario (mass deaths, or prolonged shutdown) will drop because at the margin this is bad for wealth and disposable income. It is also going to hit those carrying large amounts of debt, especially hard. In my worldview, however, it is better for someone's car(s) to drop in value than for a bunch of additional people to drop dead as well as the car market dropping in value.

Stay safe!
I just hope no one here will be forced to sell their treasures to stay afloat.

However, I really think we will be okay. Let's not despair.

Another silver lining from this is that I hope more people see the value of having an emergency fund. Too many live paycheck to paycheck, spending what little they have on things that social pressures push people to buy that they really could do without. Hopefully, more people will follow Dave Ramsey's financial advice.
The following users liked this post:
basil2000 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Marv,
was just talking to my wife about this. We have always listened to Dave’s advice and have an emergency fund. We only buy things with cash. Makes our life much less stressful at a time like this. I know lots of people that have been spending all kinds of money on vacations and cars. They are very stressed about paying the bills now. One added bonus is we are in position to help others like first responders, veterans and people at our church.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

A few of my colleagues probably had CV19 already.
As soon as they can get tested, they can travel freely without worries.

What a luxury ....

Old 04-07-2020, 02:57 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

What a luxury ....
Hopefully no permanent damage
Old 04-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,874 Likes on 2,222 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

What a luxury ....
Hopefully. There are issues of false negatives with some tests, and the possibility of reinfection hasn't been ruled out. A lot of details not yet understood with this virus.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The ones that have been sick had a very mild flu basically.
Lets hope we have a few soldiers that are immune :-)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Hopefully. There are issues of false negatives with some tests, and the possibility of reinfection hasn't been ruled out. A lot of details not yet understood with this virus.
That’s pretty much irrelevant now, damage is done and not much more damage can be absorbed.

We have garbage in garbage out, you believe what you want but come December we will know some truth perhaps.
In the meanwhile, planes and metros are and will be full.

Unless there is a vaccine soon, I might as well take a CV19 shot so I can recover at home instead of getting infected on the road later.

Until then, this is my ask for two RS.https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...es-ed-175.html

Also have truck and trailer for sale..
Old 04-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
Marv,
was just talking to my wife about this. We have always listened to Dave’s advice and have an emergency fund. We only buy things with cash. Makes our life much less stressful at a time like this. I know lots of people that have been spending all kinds of money on vacations and cars. They are very stressed about paying the bills now. One added bonus is we are in position to help others like first responders, veterans and people at our church.

All we have left is the mortgage and not much longer on that. I already work at home, mostly, so this doesn't really impact me and I convinced my wife to quit working a few years ago. Easy living that way.

Even so, my wife is still stressed about all this. I feel bad for those not as well prepared. Hopefully everyone will get by and be better prepared for the future. Good of you to be able to help out!!! Good health to you and your family.

Quick Reply: Value of GT CARS