Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:09 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts

The FaL actually Limits the adaptability in the suspension, so to the hardcore enthusiasts they’ll like no fal. I ordered mine no fal because the idea of my front end bobbing up and down bothered me lol and I’m young. When I went to get a ferrari the other year I thought it was so odd the front end going up and down so I had same story, wanted one without that option.

I think after 3 months you won’t care, I scrape mine from time to time but you save 20 pounds and ur car has a more adaptable suspension win win in my book and yellow is the rarest gt3rs yet, buy it
Old 04-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Cazzius
7th Gear

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah. Motorwerks. I picked up my GT3 RS from them this past Tuesday. 😊

Old 04-11-2020, 09:17 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
are you sure you owned the 991.2 ? It’s definitely not slow!
3RS Acceleration? if you had a turbo it is. Look at the 60 to 124 mph
Old 04-11-2020, 11:23 AM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I am fortunate enough to own both . They are both awesome.,Besides all the good advise on this thread I would add the driving experience in the turbo as lively comfortable and can be exciting.
The RS is like you are inside a missile...you don't drive it you just aim it.
It always feels like my adrenalin is spiked. There is also an amazing wow factor perceived .
my 02s
Elliot
Old 04-11-2020, 01:33 PM
GGorman04
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These responses just prove one thing. How brilliant is Porsche's Development Team. It is clearly not cut and dry as to which one to get.
If only they made the GT3RS a tad quicker than the Turbo S.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:46 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

Ughhh- for me it's Turbo S or GT3RS. And I must tell you- making the choice is quite difficult!
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-11-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 AM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Ughhh- for me it's Turbo S or GT3RS. And I must tell you- making the choice is quite difficult!
Well to make it simpler. What’s the weather like where you live? If it’s sunny most of the time either car will do. If you get inclement weather, turbo s is the better car also a better car if you plan on taking it to the mountains ie.. ski resorts. Do you need a back seat (any toddlers)? Do you want attention or not? The TTS will fly under the radar only car guys know what it is. Most people just think it’s another Carrera. Even if you don’t know Porsche that well you know the RS is something special, so it’s going to get more attention. I couldn’t decide on all these factors hence why I have both. But, if I had to choose I would be systematic about my choice.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:12 AM
chance6
Race Car

Yep I'm in Chicago area so in my mind it's clear that a Turbo S would be the better car for me most of the time. I've driven the 3RS and TTS within a few days of each other. I really like both. But I think part of zapping driving enjoyment would be being beaten up with a really harsh ride...I wouldn't want to go any harsher than my GT3. Part of me wants to possibly punt because I cannot decide between these 2 great cars and drive a Chevy beater for a year while I think about it...lmao.

It may come down to ride quality, Burmester, the simplicity of all-weather prowess. Yep, that could be it.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:48 AM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I've never owned a Turbo S, but I can give you some comparison points between the 991.2 GTS (likely quite similar to the ownership experience of a Turbo S in most regards, aside from being down on power) that I previously owned and the 991.2 GT3 RS Weissach that I now have:

991.2 GTS
  • Power delivery: The primary reason I went with the GTS over a Turbo S (aside from the cost savings), is that the GTS employs a twin-turbo setup that does a remarkable job of nearly eliminating perceptible turbo lag (or at least it does IMO, but I'm not a seasoned track driver), whereas the Turbo S utilizes a more traditional single, large turbo, resulting in more turbo lag before you hit the power band. Nevertheless, the GTS still has enormous (and extremely usable) torque and feels like an absolute rocket on freeways and backroads, even if it's not as monstrous as the thrust provided by the Turbo S.
  • Exhaust note: Despite the dulling of the engine noise due to the turbocharging in the .2 gen, the GTS still sounds amazing IMO, and sounded significantly more lively than the Turbo S (I'd have to agree with others, the Turbo S I test drove did indeed sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner under load; "uninspiring" is how I'd best describe it).
  • Suspension: Firm, but compliant enough for daily driving. I live in San Francisco, which (along with the rest of the Bay Area) has some of the worst road surfaces in the developed world. The GTS is certainly firm enough on these roads that it can be a bit uncomfortable at times, and requires some extra concentration to avoid the worst potholes and other road imperfections, but overall handles most poor roads quite well.

991.2 GT3 RS
  • Power delivery: Given the naturally aspirated engine, power output on the GT3 is linear and predictable, as expected. The 9,000 RPM redline and the experience of revving it all the way out is a very difficult thing to replicate in any other street-legal vehicle you can buy. While it's true that the engine lacks the low end torque punch of the turbocharged variants, in no way can it really be described as "slow" anywhere in the rev range, at least for the purposes of street driving, and once it's properly into the power band above ~6,000rpm it's a brutal amount of razor-sharp power that can be accessed instantaneously.
  • Exhaust note: Not much to say here that hasn't already been said. The only vehicle I've personally owned/driven that can come close to competing here is the V10 in the R8/Huracan, but while that's a very clean and refined "exotic" engine note, the GT3 is simply race-car levels of insanity when it comes to sound.
  • Suspension: It should not come as a surprise, but the suspension on the RS is extremely stiff. It's worth noting that it's dialed in incredibly well, and maintains excellent composure over reasonably harsh road surfaces, but trying to drive this car in a dense city with terrible roads is an exercise in torture. I consider myself to have a very high tolerance for discomfort as far as daily driving impractical sports cars, but I simply don't bother driving the RS through San Francisco other than to get out of it and to the backroads as quickly as possible.
  • Appearance/attention: This point should also be fairly obvious, but this is not the variant to get if you're looking for the benefit of inconspicuousness offered by most 911s. This car in subdued Chalk color attracts significantly more attention than my R8 Spyder or Racing Yellow GTS did, and that's in the Bay Area, where exotic cars are quite common. The wing probably accounts for a good 80% of this attention if I had to guess, but in-person the car has an extreme presence compared to a more run-of-the-mill 911 variant, due to all of the body aero/vents/etc. And of course the sound snaps necks anytime you drive near people walking on the street.

Ultimately, I think the decision between these two cars (the Turbo S rather than the GTS, in your case) comes down to the level of driving engagement versus practically you're looking for. The Turbo S is the quintessential do-everything sports car with supercar-level performance. I would best describe the GT3 RS as pure sensory overload. It will beg you to do irresponsible things every second you're behind the wheel, and on backroads will excite you like few cars will, even at 3/10 of its capabilities. Contrary to what many claim, it's an incredibly rewarding car to drive even if you're not pegging the rev limiter at Laguna Seca- the sensory experience is something to behold even at sane speeds. At the same time, I own a 718 Boxster GTS to fulfill the daily driver role, and I honestly find myself splitting my time between the two fairly evenly. If there is one thing the GT3 RS is not, it's relaxing. There are times I just want to take a chill drive in comfort and still have the punchy power to have some fun, and the Boxster fills that role perfectly. If I'm taking the GT3 out, I need to be in the right mindset, as the entire drive from start to end will be an exercise in 100% focus.

Hopefully at least some of this rambling helps!
The following 2 users liked this post by blabus:
Apex Ace (04-21-2020), RockyTopTenn (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:41 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. This can be analyzed to tears.

Buy the one that will make your heart beat faster when you think about it. You have another car.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
I've never owned a Turbo S, but I can give you some comparison points between the 991.2 GTS (likely quite similar to the ownership experience of a Turbo S in most regards, aside from being down on power) that I previously owned and the 991.2 GT3 RS Weissach that I now have:

991.2 GTS
  • Power delivery: The primary reason I went with the GTS over a Turbo S (aside from the cost savings), is that the GTS employs a twin-turbo setup that does a remarkable job of nearly eliminating perceptible turbo lag (or at least it does IMO, but I'm not a seasoned track driver), whereas the Turbo S utilizes a more traditional single, large turbo, resulting in more turbo lag before you hit the power band. Nevertheless, the GTS still has enormous (and extremely usable) torque and feels like an absolute rocket on freeways and backroads, even if it's not as monstrous as the thrust provided by the Turbo S.
  • Exhaust note: Despite the dulling of the engine noise due to the turbocharging in the .2 gen, the GTS still sounds amazing IMO, and sounded significantly more lively than the Turbo S (I'd have to agree with others, the Turbo S I test drove did indeed sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner under load; "uninspiring" is how I'd best describe it).
  • Suspension: Firm, but compliant enough for daily driving. I live in San Francisco, which (along with the rest of the Bay Area) has some of the worst road surfaces in the developed world. The GTS is certainly firm enough on these roads that it can be a bit uncomfortable at times, and requires some extra concentration to avoid the worst potholes and other road imperfections, but overall handles most poor roads quite well.

991.2 GT3 RS
  • Power delivery: Given the naturally aspirated engine, power output on the GT3 is linear and predictable, as expected. The 9,000 RPM redline and the experience of revving it all the way out is a very difficult thing to replicate in any other street-legal vehicle you can buy. While it's true that the engine lacks the low end torque punch of the turbocharged variants, in no way can it really be described as "slow" anywhere in the rev range, at least for the purposes of street driving, and once it's properly into the power band above ~6,000rpm it's a brutal amount of razor-sharp power that can be accessed instantaneously.
  • Exhaust note: Not much to say here that hasn't already been said. The only vehicle I've personally owned/driven that can come close to competing here is the V10 in the R8/Huracan, but while that's a very clean and refined "exotic" engine note, the GT3 is simply race-car levels of insanity when it comes to sound.
  • Suspension: It should not come as a surprise, but the suspension on the RS is extremely stiff. It's worth noting that it's dialed in incredibly well, and maintains excellent composure over reasonably harsh road surfaces, but trying to drive this car in a dense city with terrible roads is an exercise in torture. I consider myself to have a very high tolerance for discomfort as far as daily driving impractical sports cars, but I simply don't bother driving the RS through San Francisco other than to get out of it and to the backroads as quickly as possible.
  • Appearance/attention: This point should also be fairly obvious, but this is not the variant to get if you're looking for the benefit of inconspicuousness offered by most 911s. This car in subdued Chalk color attracts significantly more attention than my R8 Spyder or Racing Yellow GTS did, and that's in the Bay Area, where exotic cars are quite common. The wing probably accounts for a good 80% of this attention if I had to guess, but in-person the car has an extreme presence compared to a more run-of-the-mill 911 variant, due to all of the body aero/vents/etc. And of course the sound snaps necks anytime you drive near people walking on the street.

Ultimately, I think the decision between these two cars (the Turbo S rather than the GTS, in your case) comes down to the level of driving engagement versus practically you're looking for. The Turbo S is the quintessential do-everything sports car with supercar-level performance. I would best describe the GT3 RS as pure sensory overload. It will beg you to do irresponsible things every second you're behind the wheel, and on backroads will excite you like few cars will, even at 3/10 of its capabilities. Contrary to what many claim, it's an incredibly rewarding car to drive even if you're not pegging the rev limiter at Laguna Seca- the sensory experience is something to behold even at sane speeds. At the same time, I own a 718 Boxster GTS to fulfill the daily driver role, and I honestly find myself splitting my time between the two fairly evenly. If there is one thing the GT3 RS is not, it's relaxing. There are times I just want to take a chill drive in comfort and still have the punchy power to have some fun, and the Boxster fills that role perfectly. If I'm taking the GT3 out, I need to be in the right mindset, as the entire drive from start to end will be an exercise in 100% focus.

a small correction : the Turbo has two turbos not one. Tks
Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Waxer
They both have their strengths and weaknesses. This can be analyzed to tears.

Buy the one that will make your heart beat faster when you think about it. You have another car.
100% right, but also like to get the thoughts from 3RS owners.

“analyzed to tears” - lmao !
Old 04-21-2020, 11:18 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus

991.2 GTS

991.2 GT3 RS

I stopped reading after you said the Twin Turbo has a single Turbo
Old 04-21-2020, 11:27 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Yep I'm in Chicago area so in my mind it's clear that a Turbo S would be the better car for me most of the time. I've driven the 3RS and TTS within a few days of each other. I really like both. But I think part of zapping driving enjoyment would be being beaten up with a really harsh ride...I wouldn't want to go any harsher than my GT3. Part of me wants to possibly punt because I cannot decide between these 2 great cars and drive a Chevy beater for a year while I think about it...lmao.

It may come down to ride quality, Burmester, the simplicity of all-weather prowess. Yep, that could be it.
There is no correct answer. I was where you where 2 years ago and was going back and forth. Bottom line - if you can only have 1 P car, the TT is better car for most of the time. If you can have two cars, the RS is more exciting, thrilling etc., but is not really a car I could see myself using more than just on weekends or at the track. I ended up with 2 cars but if i had to pick just one, the TT stays. I can use it every day and i do. A few mods and its very fun and daily liveable, comfortable when needed, Burmester etc. I couldnt see myself driving a green RS to work (or all the other places i drive around West LA) with its harshness, wing etc. But at 6am on Saturday ripping up some Canyons, the RS would be the keys I'd grab. But i'd only do that 3-4 times per month at best.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:46 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Racing Yellow wasn't really on my mind when looking for an RS until I saw one. Then I was able to find a spec (sofas were a must) that worked for me. Here it is in sunlight and overcast. Car came factory with the A/C vents painted. I had the yellow door straps added and then painted the black strips yellow in the shifter console. Then swapped out the CF for the factory painted surround. Bonus is the center marker on the steering wheel by default is yellow on all RS's.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoyalPink:
cadster (04-21-2020), catdog2 (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: GT3RS