Sponsored by:

Buy Back 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:06 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Buy Back 991 GT3

So a dealer near Atlanta has a handful of “buy back” factory repaired GT3s. What’s the deal with that and anyone think that’s a “too good to be true” deal? All are sub $100k with low 20k mileage.

Im thinking of getting out of my 997 Turbo into a 991 GT3 or 997.... want a “forever” car so resale isn’t important as long as it’s a solid car.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:37 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

Did you check out the sticky thread above. There is some nice detail regarding the extended warranty on the 991.1 GT3.

You'll also find many threads with similar questions around this that could be helpful.

From what I recall, the '14s all had the motor replaced. This delayed delivery, however, some had already gone out. Owners who took delivery before the repair order went out had the option to keep the car (still have it repaired) or Porsche would buy it back.

Too good to be true is always a perspective the buyer must decide based research. Post some more details about the cars you're looking at, it could be helpful for additional opinions.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:25 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Edit - Looks like you're getting the scoop.

Net/net: The buy-back 2014 991.1 GT3s had an engine fire issue that is totally unrelated to the finger follower issue that they also are subject to. If you don't care about the paperwork blemish of a branded title, a buy-back GT3 is possibly the best performance car for the money. I'd be less concerned about the buy-back aspect and more just trying to decide if the 991.1 GT3 is the car I wanted for all the other pros/cons.

You can do a search for more comments I've made over the years after owning/selling my buy back.

Last edited by tstafford; 05-24-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Ex-PEATL cars?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:04 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

There’s 2 cars and at Hyundai dealerships...

Silver

White

both $98k and change.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

They’re probably just fine but you will always get around 10% less on resale just because of the branded title on carfax. Many buyers also won’t consider a branded title and some states may not allow branded titles to be registered for public streets.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by krautmeister
There’s 2 cars and at Hyundai dealerships...

Silver

White

both $98k and change.
If you were to state...I'm buying one of these two cars, what do you think. FWIW, I would select the silver car. It has less than half the mileage, better options, and to my eye looks great with the GT Silver and matching silver wheels. It also has the upgraded headlight system, PPCB and front axle lift. Only a quick glance, looks like the brakes might need to be addressed on the white one.

Have you taken the chance to drive one of these?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:10 AM
krautmeister
Instructor

Sorry guys with my short and vague responses.... trying to get my family packed to go to the beach today..... and this thought piqued my interest as I just spoke to my buddy about next steps car wise.

Yes, I was wondering if buy back would have the same effect of a branded title like salvage ( is there a lesser degree here)?

I like the fact that the warranty is there... up to 2024. I would probably track the car maybe a few times a year and street ( mountain drive on occasion). Not a DD by any means.

will drive one when I get back. I’ve been looking at 997 GT3s and 991s are such a jump in “creature comfort” / tech. Wonder if PDK will hold up?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry guys with my short and vague responses.... trying to get my family packed to go to the beach today..... and this thought piqued my interest as I just spoke to my buddy about next steps car wise.

Yes, I was wondering if buy back would have the same effect of a branded title like salvage ( is there a lesser degree here)?

I like the fact that the warranty is there... up to 2024. I would probably track the car maybe a few times a year and street ( mountain drive on occasion). Not a DD by any means.

will drive one when I get back. I’ve been looking at 997 GT3s and 991s are such a jump in “creature comfort” / tech. Wonder if PDK will hold up?
Yes, PDK will hold up.

In regard to these branded titles, it’s tricky as you know the cars are mechanically sound. If it was going to be a 2-3 year car then I probably wouldn’t mess with it as they’re not priced competitively and it’s something you will have to deal with on the other side. Throw an extra 8-10k to your budget and your clean title options will open right up.

Conversely, if the goal was to have a track car to write off and pound into the ground, then that’s a different story. Maybe dig into the price a bit

I’m curious about the white ‘15 getting the buyback as I thought that was for the 2014’s. Something to make note of, there were multiple iterations of this engine (and they finally got it right at the end). I’d dig into when it was replaced and the serial # of the new engine (there will be a sticker on the boot lid)
Old 05-24-2020, 10:12 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

I would stay away from any car with a branded title = radio active.

For an extra $15k you would get a car you can actually sell in the future if/when you need to upgrade, etc.

Best of luck and congrats on venture into the GT3 platform. Amazing and so fun.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:47 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Take the silver one
Old 05-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,972 Likes on 2,049 Posts

Buyback GT3's should not be PECATL cars. Those would have been repaired by Porsche and would not have a branded title.

These would be cars that were probably waiting for engine replacements, the owner got tired of waiting and wanted it bought back. Or there was a bigger issue. As others mentioned, that branded title is going to stay with the car forever, so make sure that you're ok with that. Everyone says they are keeping a car forever, but often we want to upgrade down the road. If this was caused by an engine replacement which was common on these cars and I was keeping it forever, I would not be concerned. If it was anything else I would not want to buy it.

Also, 997 vs 991 GT3 is very different. I would drive both before you make a decision. Either you want a more comfortable PDK car that you can use more often or you want a 997 GT3 which is going to be a bit more of a weekend car and you want a manual transmission. Both are great just make sure you know what you prefer before you buy.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:00 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 129 Posts

This. Getting a "deal" on any vehicle with a branded title is a fallacy. Yes, you buy it cheaper, but you will suffer the agony of your albatross when you go to sell or trade it. The exception for me would be if it was something to turn into a pure track car or mod heavily and you're going to run the value into the ground anyway. More and more lenders won't finance cars with branded titles as well. Obviously a buyback isn't a salvage or flood title, but it doesn't matter to a lot of lenders who don't want to touch anything that isn't 100% kosher, and I can't blame them.

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
I would stay away from any car with a branded title = radio active.

For an extra $15k you would get a car you can actually sell in the future if/when you need to upgrade, etc.

Best of luck and congrats on venture into the GT3 platform. Amazing and so fun.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:16 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

i have my clean title 2014 GT3 up for sale at $100k in the classifieds with a bunch of extras. Only 5k miles on the replacement engine, 43k on the body. Looks better than new, check my post history.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

Originally Posted by josephvman
This. Getting a "deal" on any vehicle with a branded title is a fallacy. Yes, you buy it cheaper, but you will suffer the agony of your albatross when you go to sell or trade it. The exception for me would be if it was something to turn into a pure track car or mod heavily and you're going to run the value into the ground anyway. More and more lenders won't finance cars with branded titles as well. Obviously a buyback isn't a salvage or flood title, but it doesn't matter to a lot of lenders who don't want to touch anything that isn't 100% kosher, and I can't blame them.
Great points by everyone. Although I didn’t want to sell it, just like I’m getting out of my 997TT, having the option is nice for a nominal premium. I guess $115k-ish range is not too untenable... just tough to face the family with another expensive toy purchase with life expenses and all! It is however my stress relief so much healthier and better than hookers and coke (as my default justification for everything).

Quick Reply: Buy Back 991 GT3