Sponsored by:

JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 11:25 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlas911TT
For those of you who have the race pipe, how is the sound below 4K? Does it sounds literally like a car with no mufflers? Or is there some nice character to it?

All the race pipe videos I have seen are full throttle, none on idle or rolling.
IMO the race pipe loses character compared to stock below 4k. To me it is a bit boomy. In fairness, the dundon street headers and OE center muffler are also a bit boomy to me in the same rpm range though not as loud as the race pipe. It is just my suspicion, but I wonder if all options that delete the side mufflers have this characteristic. I'm not going back to stock because the stock system volume is lacking in a big way.

I'll also say that the race pipe volume is loud when just cruising at low rpm, but it's way, way quieter under those conditions than it is at WOT. WOT vs low load, low rpm is night and day. Be warned if you have family, the cold start, in the garage, is going to wake up your house. There is no sneaking out period.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:26 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlas911TT
For those of you who have the race pipe, how is the sound below 4K? Does it sounds literally like a car with no mufflers? Or is there some nice character to it?

All the race pipe videos I have seen are full throttle, none on idle or rolling.
I plan to make several videos of mine when it arrives with all different driving RPM Sounds. Having had 5+ different systems on my car, i wanted more of the RSR noise higher end but also something that sounds more prominent on the street lower down.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:53 AM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
I plan to make several videos of mine when it arrives with all different driving RPM Sounds. Having had 5+ different systems on my car, i wanted more of the RSR noise higher end but also something that sounds more prominent on the street lower down.

did you get race or silenced race?
Old 07-26-2020, 12:55 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

After loosening all four clamps yesterday morning and trying to get the exhaust back into place I failed. The tips are in the same spot as before I got under the car so clearly I'm doing something wrong. I really don't want to take it to my shop again to have them monkey with it but may go that route at some later date. I'm not driving much these days so it may be like this for a while.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:27 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
After loosening all four clamps yesterday morning and trying to get the exhaust back into place I failed. The tips are in the same spot as before I got under the car so clearly I'm doing something wrong. I really don't want to take it to my shop again to have them monkey with it but may go that route at some later date. I'm not driving much these days so it may be like this for a while.
If tips are dropping, would adjusting the 4 clamps help? Seems adjustments need to be made farther back in the system.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:02 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

The adjustments are needed post cats, so the clamps in the system after that point are all that require loosening.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

What helped me was loosening all 4 clamps, and placing a floor jack underneath to support the exhaust at the tips a little higher than the desired height. This made the exhaust where it meets at the cats to be angled upwards a little. I then tightened the clamps at the cats, and then the two clamps at the silencers. After removing the floor jack the tips dropped some as expected but the height of the exhaust is mostly where I want it.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:09 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

^^This was my point, it needs to be adjusted at the cats. I do what you describe, only without the floor jack, just holding up exhaust with one hand, tighten cat clamp with the other.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:11 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jickel180
What helped me was loosening all 4 clamps, and placing a floor jack underneath to support the exhaust at the tips a little higher than the desired height. This made the exhaust where it meets at the cats to be angled upwards a little. I then tightened the clamps at the cats, and then the two clamps at the silencers. After removing the floor jack the tips dropped some as expected but the height of the exhaust is mostly where I want it.
Originally Posted by drl
^^This was my point, it needs to be adjusted at the cats. I do what you describe, only without the floor jack, just holding up exhaust with one hand, tighten cat clamp with the other.
I was under the car pushing up on the tips while a friend tightened the header clamps and the position of the tips didn't change.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:20 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-bracket.html

Soul commented on how to support GMG center section with their side delete. They recommended using Mikalor Band Clamps to fit around the CMB and the Lower factory tab. This may be the solution here. But maybe would need to hook it up to the upper tab give the curved pipes on the JCR.

Here is a photo:

Last edited by Atlas911TT; 07-26-2020 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
991.2 Gt3 Rs (07-29-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:27 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

If you loosen the cat clamps, and loosen any clamps holding the rear section to the engine block (if you are using any), there is no way the exhaust, and also tips, cannot be moved up and down.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:38 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

I could move the entire exhaust up where it was supposed to be but it still fell after the clamps were tightened so I don't know what's up.

Last edited by krell; 07-26-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:10 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I could move the entire exhaust up where it was supposed to be but it still feel after the clamps were tightened so I don't know what's up.
Unfortunately it sounds like the clamps aren’t clamping. If the exhaust is not secured by the clamps once tightened and shifts even with the clamps bottomed out then they have stretched and lost their ability to properly secure the flange on the JCR part to the headers

I think you’ve found the issue. Thankfully a simple fix

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 07-26-2020, 06:17 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Unfortunately it sounds like the clamps aren’t clamping. If the exhaust is not secured by the clamps once tightened and shifts even with the clamps bottomed out then they have stretched and lost their ability to properly secure the flange on the JCR part to the headers

I think you’ve found the issue. Thankfully a simple fix

JC
They weren't bottomed out, but were torqued to roughly 20ft lbs. It's possible I could have gone tighter but you indicated that actually makes things worse.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:19 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Maybe JCR can chime in here:

you said it is not wise to mount the center bypass part of your race pipe to the oem mounts because of increased vibration......but Soul, Sharkwerks, and quick fixes like above for GRP/GMG are done. What makes your system different to not mount the center? Just curious....

Quick Reply: JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly