Sponsored by:

JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 06:03 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Were you able to do this with the car on the ground? I'd prefer to not put it up on ramps again.
No it was not on the ground completely ; it was on tire saver mats , about 2 inches of extra height above the ground
Old 07-27-2020, 06:30 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

You can do it on the ground, that's what I did last time I made the adjustment.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:42 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jickel180
You can do it on the ground, that's what I did last time I made the adjustment.
yes i agree
Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I have received a few inquiries on how I fixed the rotating tips issue I had with my Silenced Race Pipes. By Design, the Race Pipes and Silenced Race Pipes are the only ones that could experience this little problem, it is not a big deal or the end of the world as some people here want to make it look like.

To this day, I haven't heard a better sound from any 991 GT3/GT3RS than my car on the Silenced Race Pipes and the Akrapovic headers (to make these two work together, took some creativity). The amount of praise for the sound quality and awesome sound waves felt like driving a Hypercar on Gold-Chrome wrap, that level of attention everywhere, tracks and street, even law enforcement.

The quality of the JCR products is amazing, and they are among my favorites. I haven't run my Silenced Race pipes for a year now, as I switched to a full Dundon intake/exhaust system (which on its own is just a powerhouse, amazing customer service, and the most power my car has ever produced backed by lots of data, but that's another thread discussion.

So, here I found a picture of the JCR development for the 991.3 GT3RS/Speedster. I have highlighted with arrows exactly where you're going to need the clamps. They cannot be thick (wide), find something with a narrow width 1/2" or even 1/4" wide. The clamps will go exactly where the JCR picture has the zip ties. This center collector with is common to the Race Pipes and the Silenced Race Pipes is they key for their amazing sound combined with the length of the side pipes coming from the headers. I have heard the Silenced Race Pipes, Race Pipes and Valved Race Pipes in person. The valve system has nearly the amazing sound of the other two, but the other two sound better. If you run stock headers, go with the Race Pipes but they will be very very loud, if you run aftermarket headers, the Silenced Pipes are the way to go, and they are still loud (I could not pass SCCA sound with them, even after resonated tips + turn downs from Soul, the car was loud).

I actually had some drone with the system installed as recommended, and it was reduced once I added the two extra clamps. In my experience, it made it better, contrary to Johnny's opinion that it will drone more. Indeed, without this extra support, and fresh from the racetrack, you could kick the exhaust tips and see the thing bouncing a little.

The second part is the clamp JCR provides with this system to connect the center piece and the side pieces. If you use that band clamp so it clamps both the side pipes and the center pipe, your chances of this thing rotating are nearly zero. In my specific application, my heavy resonated Soul Performance exhaust tips + turn downs, plus those turndowns extending plenty beyond the muffler, and the hard driving created more stress on the JCR center section making it more prone to rotate. The rotation occurs between the side pipes and the center pipe, there is no rotation or barely any rotation possible between the headers and the side pipes (there is, but how to clamp it was properly described by Johnny, and I used new gaskets there when I installed this system back in February last year).

There is a point where they cannot rotate anymore, so your tips won't touch the ground, just point downward and look weird. Easy fix, third and last time I explain it. Don't be lazy, fix it, it can be done with no lift, and not removing anything from the car. Lots of good online retailers for SS quality clamps.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S
I have received a few inquiries on how I fixed the rotating tips issue I had with my Silenced Race Pipes. By Design, the Race Pipes and Silenced Race Pipes are the only ones that could experience this little problem, it is not a big deal or the end of the world as some people here want to make it look like.

To this day, I haven't heard a better sound from any 991 GT3/GT3RS than my car on the Silenced Race Pipes and the Akrapovic headers (to make these two work together, took some creativity). The amount of praise for the sound quality and awesome sound waves felt like driving a Hypercar on Gold-Chrome wrap, that level of attention everywhere, tracks and street, even law enforcement.

The quality of the JCR products is amazing, and they are among my favorites. I haven't run my Silenced Race pipes for a year now, as I switched to a full Dundon intake/exhaust system (which on its own is just a powerhouse, amazing customer service, and the most power my car has ever produced backed by lots of data, but that's another thread discussion.

So, here I found a picture of the JCR development for the 991.3 GT3RS/Speedster. I have highlighted with arrows exactly where you're going to need the clamps. They cannot be thick (wide), find something with a narrow width 1/2" or even 1/4" wide. The clamps will go exactly where the JCR picture has the zip ties. This center collector with is common to the Race Pipes and the Silenced Race Pipes is they key for their amazing sound combined with the length of the side pipes coming from the headers. I have heard the Silenced Race Pipes, Race Pipes and Valved Race Pipes in person. The valve system has nearly the amazing sound of the other two, but the other two sound better. If you run stock headers, go with the Race Pipes but they will be very very loud, if you run aftermarket headers, the Silenced Pipes are the way to go, and they are still loud (I could not pass SCCA sound with them, even after resonated tips + turn downs from Soul, the car was loud).

I actually had some drone with the system installed as recommended, and it was reduced once I added the two extra clamps. In my experience, it made it better, contrary to Johnny's opinion that it will drone more. Indeed, without this extra support, and fresh from the racetrack, you could kick the exhaust tips and see the thing bouncing a little.

The second part is the clamp JCR provides with this system to connect the center piece and the side pieces. If you use that band clamp so it clamps both the side pipes and the center pipe, your chances of this thing rotating are nearly zero. In my specific application, my heavy resonated Soul Performance exhaust tips + turn downs, plus those turndowns extending plenty beyond the muffler, and the hard driving created more stress on the JCR center section making it more prone to rotate. The rotation occurs between the side pipes and the center pipe, there is no rotation or barely any rotation possible between the headers and the side pipes (there is, but how to clamp it was properly described by Johnny, and I used new gaskets there when I installed this system back in February last year).

There is a point where they cannot rotate anymore, so your tips won't touch the ground, just point downward and look weird. Easy fix, third and last time I explain it. Don't be lazy, fix it, it can be done with no lift, and not removing anything from the car. Lots of good online retailers for SS quality clamps.

Wow , thanks for the thorough explination ! I will give it a try until maybe Jonny comes up with a fix or a bracket . Tks
Old 07-27-2020, 07:58 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S

The second part is the clamp JCR provides with this system to connect the center piece and the side pieces. If you use that band clamp so it clamps both the side pipes and the center pipe, your chances of this thing rotating are nearly zero.

I dont get this part ! The band clamp has to be used to connect the side pipes and center pipe - i had this way and it still rotated , is there any other way ?
Old 07-28-2020, 05:20 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

A/S added a fifth and sixth clamp which would provide the necessary center support, but when I was under the car I don't recall there being a pass through for a clamp of any kind. It looks like there's some type of L-bracket in that picture and maybe I missed it.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:18 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

^^it is there, his is clamped to the same thing you see right below the pipe, same thing stock center clamps to.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:05 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S

This is great info. I would think the problem should be entirely resolved for most people who experience it by repositioning as you describe the clamps provided by JCR to connect the side to center pipes.

Regarding the additional clamps you describe that can be added - this seems like a secondary measure, and also seems like the pipes could theoretically still rotate unless made very snug and if the first measure using the JCR supplied clamps was not also taken.

Finally, because I have the Valved pipe, it was not clear to me the issue others were describing until I saw the picture you posted above. The Valved Pipe has two pipes connecting side to center, so these two pieces cannot rotate on themselves. On this pipe, if the tips are dropping, it would not be due to the center rotating relative to the side piece, rather it would be the entire system dropping due to a loose clamp on the cat.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:31 AM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ I think the support/clamps for the center section is more for support and taking the torsion off the header/cat clamps. But yes from a physical standpoint the center section can’t rotate because the ends are not straight. The bend/curve will not allow that to happen.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:55 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Thats right, the centre on all of our designs cannot rotate due to the angle at which the centre section interacts with the sides, this essentially locks the rotation whilst the slips allowing growth during heat cycles.

The system is supported from the sides with the brackets provided and isolated with the rubber mounts.

The OE centre silencer mount and additional support is not required and may of our customers remove this for additional weight saving however a simple clamp around one or both of the pick up points and the centre of our race pipe will provide an additional secure point for peace of mind.

The OE header clamps are more than up to the job at stopping the system from dropping. Any centre bypass which runs with OE side silencers is asking for the same from the header clamps and the OE side silencers weight significantly more than our Race pipe sides.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube

Quick Reply: JCR Race Pipe Vs Soul Modular System: the good, bad and ugly