Sponsored by:

Getting a .2GT3RS from Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 11:05 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Getting a .2GT3RS from Canada

I'm looking at picking up a .2GT3RS. I live in NC, but have found a spec I'm looking for in Canada. I realize there is a lot of complexity and risk with the importing this into the US. What I'd like to know is if there is any actual difference between the US and CA RS. There isn't anything I can tell by looking at the pictures, but I'm not sure if there is anything else that I should be aware of with an RS made for delivery to CA. Thanks!

Last edited by dmac; 09-03-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:04 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac
I'm looking at picking up a .2GT3RS. I live in NC, but have found a spec I'm looking for in Canada. I realize there is a lot of complexity and risk with the importing this into the US. What I'd like to know is if there is any actual difference between the US and CA RS. There isn't anything I can tell by looking at the pictures, but I'm not sure if there is anything else that I should be aware of with an RS made for delivery to CA. Thanks!
The importing process is somewhat unique and a few hoops to jump through re taxes/duties and certifications.

Otherwise (besides the speedo), there is no real technical differences between the cars.
You may get dinged on resale because of the negative halo around CND cars (and conversely US cars in Canada) so ensure you are paying "fair" value to reflect.

Warranty should generally be honored but you may need to "grease the wheels" at your local dealership by paying them to perform any conversion/certification after importing the vehicle.

Otherwise, good luck on the purchase!
The following users liked this post:
dmac (09-07-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:12 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

I would live in the US, I would shop in Canada
Exchange rate is on your side big time, even with the import taxes and the paperwork.
I bought some cars in the US in the past.
Never quite understood why a US car is not good here (or the opposite for Canadian cars in the US). They are coming out the same factory, cross the Atlantic on the same boat and sold by Porsche NA, covered by the same warranty...
Go figure.
dmac (09-07-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 08:25 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The person who bought my 09 GT2 was from California, he had no problems. You pay import duties, and your local state sales tax. If you use TFX exotic car shipping to deliver it to you, they take care of the minor paper work at the border.
dmac (09-07-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 11:33 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 277 Posts

Will Porsche honor the warranty in the US on an imported car? I have read about some other car companies not honoring them on an imported car, so if that’s important to you, you might want to look into that.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:43 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
Will Porsche honor the warranty in the US on an imported car? I have read about some other car companies not honoring them on an imported car, so if that’s important to you, you might want to look into that.
By what is on paper, yes, its a North American warranty (NTD: can't confirm if applies to CPO?). However, there are a few "outs" that dealers will use to be a pain in your *** if you don't "grease the wheels". E.g. importing into Canada, they would at a minimum expect you to pay them to swap speedo, do inspections, reprogram DRLs etc....... (some required by law, other things required by Porsche)..

In some cases, they will price those services in a manner to make importing prohibitive, but this was more of an issue when the C$ was at a premium to the US$.
While I would love to see those days again to blow through some dry powder on real estate and other toys, not sure if that is on the horizon currently.

I am sure select US dealers will be much friendlier due to more competition etc. Canada is a bubble with these things generally............

Last edited by bulldog_YYC; 09-05-2020 at 01:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bulldog_YYC:
AllAboutThatP (09-05-2020), dmac (09-07-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 01:53 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

I imported a GT3 from Canada recently and used TFX to handle the shipping and paperwork. It was all relatively painless. My local dealer has already performed some warranty work no problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by chapmans:
AllAboutThatP (09-05-2020), dmac (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 01:19 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

I had a dealer try and sell me a Canadian car caught it upon inspection. I called Porsche NA and was told they would not honor the CPO.

My local dealer advised me it would be difficult to resell.

Ian
The following 2 users liked this post by flyjets:
bulldog_YYC (11-19-2020), dmac (09-07-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no maybe. Porsche NA Warranty on a Canadian Porsche can be transferred/honoured, in the USA.

They're no outs for Porsche dealers, they have to honour the Porsche NA warranty... of course US dealerships do not want Canadian cars, with the low price of the CAN dollar, they cant compete with the discount in pricing.

Quick Reply: Getting a .2GT3RS from Canada