Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage of 991.1 GT3 engine failures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 12:20 AM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2015 started making a knocking noise from lower right region of the motor, is this a known symptom of the FF issue people have been discussing? Car doesn’t appear to be throwing any codes.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:43 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul in San Jose
My 2015 started making a knocking noise from lower right region of the motor, is this a known symptom of the FF issue people have been discussing? Car doesn’t appear to be throwing any codes.
Might or might not be. You can take it to Porsche or a Local shop to get it diagnosed. Hard to say that it is a FF issue.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:58 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

In 2-3 years, post-warranty, .1 cars have a market bifurcation: G6 equipped .1’s migrate closer to .2 prices, F and maybe G0 .1’s keep this $40k delta.

Compared to past model’s changes (say 997.1 to .2) there’s not much performance and equipment difference between a 991.1 GT3 and .2 (23 hp, some bling) so the current material price delta is largely due to the engine issue. Unless new data emerges, the G6 replacement engines are proving bulletproof. Obviously this price bifurcation happening is dependant on the broader market understanding the issues (or lack thereof).
The following users liked this post:
Mthrice (05-08-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 01:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

2016 GT3, G1 engine went at 24,000kmi

My question now is (car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks) how long does it take for Porsche to green light the replacement?
Old 05-10-2022, 01:21 PM
ddugas01

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

If they followed the procedures, and it proved to be the warranty issue, just a couple of days.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:37 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993

My question now is (car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks) how long does it take for Porsche to green light the replacement?
Wow...I had a G6 engine installed and picked up my car within two weeks after I dropped it off at the dealer.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:54 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

2016 GT3, G1 engine went at 24,000km. My question now is (car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks) how long does it take for Porsche to green light the replacement?.
Originally Posted by parkerfe
Wow...I had a G6 engine installed and picked up my car within two weeks after I dropped it off at the dealer.
Originally Posted by ddugas01
If they followed the procedures, and it proved to be the warranty issue, just a couple of days.
I think the procedures may not be that easy for dealers to follow. Most don't do that many of these replacements. And even those that have the experience don't necessarily have the experience diagnosing one of the more difficult cases (like mine). If I were you, I would contact PCNA and light a fire under them. I can give you the name of someone at PCNA to call and hopefully he can get one of the engineers from Germany on it.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:01 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

The big time delay is that there's a string of diagnosis steps prior to getting authorization to crack the engine open and visually inspect (which is insanely quick thereafter).

The problem is that each of those diagnosis steps require clearing the codes, getting another fault, rinse and repeat. If they're not efficient at getting the ecu fault then they'll send you home with new spark plugs at your expense.

I'm a broken record but with my car we found the best way to get the faults to trip again was to have the techs get on a flat/safe spot of road, shift to second and slowly get up to 9k at partial throttle and hold it in the rev range for a brief couple of seconds. Just driving it around and shifting at the rev limiter at dangerous speeds is not only bad for your car, but dangerous for society in general. Suggest to your SA to have the techs do that if they're not familiar with the MA175 replacement process as I'm sure they want that bay hog out of there as fast as you do.

Good luck!

Last edited by itrsteve; 05-10-2022 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:05 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ddugas01
Originally Posted by parkerfe
Originally Posted by itrsteve
The big time delay is that there's a string of diagnosis steps prior to getting authorization to crack the engine open and visually inspect (which is insanely quick thereafter).

The problem is that each of those diagnosis steps require clearing the codes, getting another fault, rinse and repeat. If they're not efficient at getting the ecu fault then they'll send you home with new spark plugs at your expense.

I'm a broken record but with my car we found the best way to get the faults to trip again was to have the techs get on a flat/safe spot of road, shift to second and slowly get up to 9k at partial throttle and hold it in the rev range for a brief couple of seconds. Just driving it around and shifting at the rev limiter at dangerous speeds is not only bad for your car, but dangerous for society in general. Suggest to your SA to have the techs do that if they're not familiar with the MA175 replacement process as I'm sure they want that bay hog out of there as fast as you do.

Good luck!
Thanks all. The dealer it's at now has done most of the GT3's in my area, I personally know of 3 engines they have replaced in the last couple years. They should know what they are doing and how to get it done. It sounds like I'm not getting any kind of priority and need to contact PCNA to get the ball rolling.

It's obvious the engine has failed, it barely idles and will die if you hit the accelerator. Both plugs and coil packs are less than a year old.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:45 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
Might or might not be. You can take it to Porsche or a Local shop to get it diagnosed. Hard to say that it is a FF issue.
On my way back to the dealer to pick up the car. They acknowledge the knocking/tapping noise, but have not found the cause so suggest I just keep driving it until it throws a code. They checked the oil and compression, both no problem. They say next step is $5500 disassembly to inspect valves, still no guarantee they would find anything, so they don’t expect me to authorize this.

Any ideas anyone? The car is mostly a track car, so breakdowns will always be far from home.

Last edited by Paul in San Jose; 05-19-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:03 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Can you tell us your build date?

Old 05-19-2022, 10:42 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

On my way back to the dealer to pick up the car. They acknowledge the knocking/tapping noise, but have not found the cause so suggest I just keep driving it until it throws a code. They checked the oil and compression, both no problem. They say next step is $5500 disassembly to inspect valves, still no guarantee they would find anything, so they don’t expect me to authorize this.

Any ideas anyone? The car is mostly a track car, so breakdowns will always be far from home.
I wrote a letter emailed to high level execs at Porsche USA and Germany expressing how this type of approach by dealers is unacceptable for a high end brand with a known problem with these engines. In its reply, Porsche USA claimed that most dealers don’t understand the diagnostic procedures, and they assigned an engineer from Germany to take over my case. A week later a new engine was ordered.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:32 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

drive it till you het a CEL or contact PCNA and ask them to look into it.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:12 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
drive it till you het a CEL or contact PCNA and ask them to look into it.
I tried the 9K in second gear method, but no CEL. As luck would have it, there was a track day nearby, so I did that yesterday. The knocking was so loud it was attracting attention, but still no CEL or performance issues. I’m attaching a video to show how it sounds from about 15 feet away (it’s the dominant noise at idle). I feel it is rather ridiculous that I should have to put my neck on the line waiting for the car to self-identify a failure.

Anyone know how the engine “knows” it has a misfire? Would this require such extensive valvetrain wear that there should be other methods (such as oil analysis) that would give an earlier indication?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0966.MOV (718.1 KB, 178 views)
Old 05-21-2022, 06:53 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

I tried the 9K in second gear method, but no CEL. As luck would have it, there was a track day nearby, so I did that yesterday. The knocking was so loud it was attracting attention, but still no CEL or performance issues. I’m attaching a video to show how it sounds from about 15 feet away (it’s the dominant noise at idle). I feel it is rather ridiculous that I should have to put my neck on the line waiting for the car to self-identify a failure.

Anyone know how the engine “knows” it has a misfire? Would this require such extensive valvetrain wear that there should be other methods (such as oil analysis) that would give an earlier indication?
wow that’s crazy. I would contact PCNA and attach the video. Maybe try another dealer. Or maybe someone on here can help better by pointing you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Mileage of 991.1 GT3 engine failures?