Sponsored by:

Porsche Ti Roll Bar Install is DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I have had an issue with the factory glue I used...the panel leather came loose around the trimmed area after a test drive to operating temperature on a mid 90 degree day. After doing some research I have ordered a dual compound interior glue with a much higher temp ceiling. Glue to arrive Monday. I have also spoke to a body shop/interior shop in Central Fl., that is Porsche approved and I may take the panels down to them Monday with my new glue to look at my work and see if they see any product quality or craftsmanship issues. I will take some more pics when I have her back together as the finished product. At this point that is my only thing left on the To Do list
That is exactly the reason why I asked. I think that it is not that simple to cut a hole through. In order to make the hole look original, the plastic needs to be cut through and the leather should have a flap that wrap around the opening of the hole. If the plastic and leather are cut line to line, de-lamination will be unavoidable worse case or cosmetically no good best case.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:46 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

USRodeo4

Nice going it looks like the modding has begun source those MR rear Aero disks.

Ian
Old 05-16-2021, 12:00 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinker23
That is exactly the reason why I asked. I think that it is not that simple to cut a hole through. In order to make the hole look original, the plastic needs to be cut through and the leather should have a flap that wrap around the opening of the hole. If the plastic and leather are cut line to line, de-lamination will be unavoidable worse case or cosmetically no good best case.
Yes from guys who have seen the factory install SC cars I was told Porsche cuts the plastic quarter panel but not the outer leather. Which is exactly what I did, you then glue the leather back on to the newly trimmed plastic panel and the bottom of the leather gets rolled up on to the back of the panel...looks completely flawless, just a little bit came apart on the sides, where the original glue was, I have the panels out right now and don't have any good pics of them in before the side panel glue failed, but before the glue failed it looked perfect. Just a small bump in the road to be dealt with..it's just glue so it can be worked. p.s. I am also considering trying some acrylic foam tapes/epoxies that I am familiar with from their usage in F plane cockpits. As I have said in my other posts, just taking my time and working through the issues I encounter and this one is very minor. p.p.s. Here is a pretty decent pic I hadn't posted that shows some of the qtr panel after install, looked perfect b4 the glue failure. Nice chattin

Last edited by usrodeo4; 05-17-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:44 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you...I took my time and had a blast along the way. Now I am thinking of trying to metallurgically 3D print some pistons like Porsche did to find that free 35 BHP that they discovered in their piston porotype testing last year in the GT2. I know some guys...haha.
OP, you should begin to follow RobertLinton1 on Instagram if you havn't already. No doubt you would enjoy his posts.
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:53 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flyjets
USRodeo4

Nice going it looks like the modding has begun source those MR rear Aero disks.

Ian
lol, I understand the fluid dynamics of the aerodisks but Good Lord they are ugly. That is not a mod I could do...but I do like the lighter BBS motorsports mags As the Roll Bar is OEM I don't really consider this a mod, just righting the table that FDOT kicked over in the first place.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:03 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hardback
OP, you should begin to follow RobertLinton1 on Instagram if you haven't already. No doubt you would enjoy his posts.
Thanks and yes I have spoken with Bob before...he is a great guy and sharp as a tack. A real renaissance man if you will. He knows a lot more about the 2RS than me and is also wired in pretty heavily with the Defense Industry and U.S. Military. When we talk shop I am very careful to watch the words that come out of my mouth as I am sure Bob is too.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:11 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Default The Finished Product

Old 06-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speedster
It is your neck......risk it any way you choose!
I seriously doubt he’s gonna roll the car driving to and from Starbucks.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:44 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I seriously doubt he’s gonna roll the car driving to and from Starbucks.
Cute, very cute...anytime you want to get in the right seat of my Grim Reaper with me I will let you be the judge of my driving habits/prowess...oh and their coffee sucks
Old 06-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Need4Speedster
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

^

I think Archimedes (at least the name implies it) is smarter than to risk his neck with amateur installations and unproven equipment purpose.....your testing wouldn't pass basic never mind rigid engineering standards... Your driving - I can't say. You coffee tastes seem to rank highest with your dislike of Starbucks.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:59 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

As an added note for anyone considering tackling this, one other tidbit; the rear (front section) of the carpet where the front of the roll bar bolts in, is already precut from the factory for the roll bar but if you use the carpet as it comes it leaves a minor space; the carpet "circle" doesn't quite complete to close the gap. To get a perfect "seal" from the carpet you will need to slightly trim the carpet. I decided to install mine without trimming the OEM carpet so if you look closely you can see one partial bolt showing on both sides. As I said it could be remedied by slightly trimming the carpet to allow the circle to be closed but I made the decision to not trim the OEM carpet. I have never seen an OEM Ti bar car so not sure if theirs look like mine or if the carpet is slightly trimmed on the factory floor to get a perfect fit around the front bar. You really have to look to notice...some day if I ever see a factory Euro spec WP Ti bar car and they have no gap I might go ahead and do a quick trim job to make mine the same but for now I am going with the OEM trimmed carpet.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:07 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Need4Speedster
^

I think Archimedes (at least the name implies it) is smarter than to risk his neck with amateur installations and unproven equipment purpose.....your testing wouldn't pass basic never mind rigid engineering standards... Your driving - I can't say. You coffee tastes seem to rank highest with your dislike of Starbucks.
Yawn...Please stop with your nonsensical arguments. It's the factory bar installed with factory (MR) installation kit by a P.E. Graduate degreed Aerospace Engineer.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 06-03-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Cute, very cute...anytime you want to get in the right seat of my Grim Reaper with me I will let you be the judge of my driving habits/prowess...oh and their coffee sucks
I would not want to use up any of the 1,000 miles you put on your car annually. Besides, we'd have to drive all the way to Georgia just to find a curve that you could demonstrate on.

That said, the roll cage looks great and I don't doubt that it's plenty safe.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:01 AM
WhySock
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

@usrodeo4 does the back of the seat come into contact with the bar at all if the seat is in it's furthest back setting? If not, do you have the seat reclining brackets installed? I ask because I have the GMG harness bar in my 3RS, with seat reclining brackets, and it touches the bar (and has marked the seat back). I'm eyeing a 2RS and thinking of finding a factory bar to install like you have done (nice job by the way). I won't bother though if it's going to contact the seat like the GMG bar has done and make a mark in it. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:55 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by WhySock
@usrodeo4 does the back of the seat come into contact with the bar at all if the seat is in it's furthest back setting? If not, do you have the seat reclining brackets installed? I ask because I have the GMG harness bar in my 3RS, with seat reclining brackets, and it touches the bar (and has marked the seat back). I'm eyeing a 2RS and thinking of finding a factory bar to install like you have done (nice job by the way). I won't bother though if it's going to contact the seat like the GMG bar has done and make a mark in it. Thanks.
I don't think you will get an answer from usrodeo4. He sold his GT2RS for a Ferrari and haven't seen him on this forum in a while.

Member neoprufrok has the titanium roll bar installed as well though.

You are not the only one who has issues with the GMG roll bar touching the back of the seat: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...rness-bar.html
The following users liked this post:
WhySock (03-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Ti Roll Bar Install is DONE!