Sponsored by:

Nankang CR-S on a GT3 old CR-1

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:05 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Nankang CR-S on a GT3 old CR-1

Has anyone any real life experieice driving the Nankang CR-S over the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's? I have read alot, and in fact own a set of AR-1's on the 19's, but would like to know real world CR-S Experience. I would love to give them a go. Would love to see how the 20's fit on the wheels. Yes, I know they heat up quicker, and yes, I have read ALOT!

Let me know.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:26 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 781 Posts

Yes, do a search there's a guy from Florida that has great time on the Nankang tires.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I have been running them since they came out last summer, and I got a thread about them.

They are around $400 a set cheaper over Cup2's and last about as long.

No track experience on them, but lots of AX, and street driving. All round they are much better then Cup2's, much better usable heat range, they car less about ambient temps, they work in the rain, and run quite and smoother than Cups. But I feel on track they will start to overheat and when it's hot out over 75deg they can overheat in AX when being pushed, but a quick spray down and they are fine.

Also been playing around with tire pressure, and the fast pressure appears to be 31f36r hot.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:41 PM
thewestwon
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran them for the first time on my .1 GT3 at COTA in February. I liked them quite a bit. It rained on Saturday and they performed much better than my experience with MPSC2's (although to be fair my wet experience with those was at MSR Houston rather than COTA). In the dry, I was very happy. Again my dry MPSC2 experience was at MSR Houston, but the CRS felt similar to fresh MPSC2, arguably better, but I wasn't running them back to back. They are perhaps a bit more chatty close to the limit. I last ran AR-1's, so obviously for road noise they seemed super quiet in comparison, but it felt on par with MPSC2's. Wear was really good on stock alignment. I figure they're gonna heat cycle out before the tread is an issue. Based on experience with AR-1s I was generally shooting for 32psi all around. They came up to temp quickly, but when pushing I had a hard time keeping the rears below 35 regardless of starting pressure. However, I didn't see the big dropoff in performance with higher rear pressures that I was used to with the AR1. I plan to continue running these as my standard track tire unless something drastically changes as they age, but based on my observations and what I've read, they seem like a great choice.

The CR-S sizes are a good fit to the wheels. Here are some pics for reference:

Front:

Rear:

Last edited by thewestwon; 03-15-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:17 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Yes, do a search there's a guy from Florida that has great time on the Nankang tires.
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I have been running them since they came out last summer, and I got a thread about them.

They are around $400 a set cheaper over Cup2's and last about as long.

No track experience on them, but lots of AX, and street driving. All round they are much better then Cup2's, much better usable heat range, they car less about ambient temps, they work in the rain, and run quite and smoother than Cups. But I feel on track they will start to overheat and when it's hot out over 75deg they can overheat in AX when being pushed, but a quick spray down and they are fine.

Also been playing around with tire pressure, and the fast pressure appears to be 31f36r hot.
Originally Posted by thewestwon
I ran them for the first time on my .1 GT3 at COTA in February. I liked them quite a bit. It rained on Saturday and they performed much better than my experience with MPSC2's (although to be fair my wet experience with those was at MSR Houston rather than COTA). In the dry, I was very happy. Again my dry MPSC2 experience was at MSR Houston, but the CRS felt similar to fresh MPSC2, arguably better, but I wasn't running them back to back. They are perhaps a bit more chatty close to the limit. I last ran AR-1's, so obviously for road noise they seemed super quiet in comparison, but it felt on par with MPSC2's. Wear was really good on stock alignment. I figure they're gonna heat cycle out before the tread is an issue. Based on experience with AR-1s I was generally shooting for 32psi all around. They came up to temp quickly, but when pushing I had a hard time keeping the rears below 35 regardless of starting pressure. However, I didn't see the big dropoff in performance with higher rear pressures that I was used to with the AR1. I plan to continue running these as my standard track tire unless something drastically changes as they age, but based on my observations and what I've read, they seem like a great choice.

The CR-S sizes are a good fit to the wheels. Here are some pics for reference:

Front:

Rear:

My apologies, I guess I never used the (-). I found the thread.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:19 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the info on this guys. Very good stuff! I am going to give them a try!
Old 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I have run the CR-S in stock GT3 sizes for 2 private track days so far and really like them. They're grippier than Cup2s, cheaper, and can dish out more consistent laps. My only gripe about them is that the CR-S run a bit narrower than the stock tires even if they are the same "size", when I set my wheels down the rim itself touches the floor.

I strongly dislike Cup2s, they take longer to warm up and get greasy just after a few laps. To me, they're a glorified extreme performance street tire, not sure why Porsche guys love them so much. Now if only Goodyear would make the Supercar 3Rs in stock GT3 sizes, then I would choose them over the CR-S (3Rs are cheaper too). But for now, the CR-S are my best available option for a streetable track tire that come in GT3 sizing.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM
CayenneTTS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have AR-1s on my RS, they are a great tire, the tire noise on street is way higher then i remember the CUP2s with.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:19 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
I have run the CR-S in stock GT3 sizes for 2 private track days so far and really like them. They're grippier than Cup2s, cheaper, and can dish out more consistent laps. My only gripe about them is that the CR-S run a bit narrower than the stock tires even if they are the same "size", when I set my wheels down the rim itself touches the floor.

I strongly dislike Cup2s, they take longer to warm up and get greasy just after a few laps. To me, they're a glorified extreme performance street tire, not sure why Porsche guys love them so much. Now if only Goodyear would make the Supercar 3Rs in stock GT3 sizes, then I would choose them over the CR-S (3Rs are cheaper too). But for now, the CR-S are my best available option for a streetable track tire that come in GT3 sizing.

What are your thoughts on 325/30/20's? I have a set of BBS FI-R's, and think I will have no issue with this size.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:42 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by swartzzz
What are your thoughts on 325/30/20's? I have a set of BBS FI-R's, and think I will have no issue with this size.
I considered the 325s, however my concern is that Nankang does not offer a size to match the fronts. If they had a 265 front, then we'd be good to go!
Old 03-17-2022, 01:16 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
I considered the 325s, however my concern is that Nankang does not offer a size to match the fronts. If they had a 265 front, then we'd be good to go!
Been considering this as well, they now make a wider front as well. I do think we can go one inch on each end with out much issues. But I'm also worried about tire squirm and loss of feel and feedback with going bigger tires. The other upside is the car will be slightly raised, so got to worry less about hitting things.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:43 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Here are a couple of videos of the CR-1 in action, it was in the low 50's out and the track was cold. Max G was around 1.47.

Last edited by Stealth 993; 03-17-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:34 PM
Magnolia911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swartzzz
Has anyone any real life experieice driving the Nankang CR-S over the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's? I have read alot, and in fact own a set of AR-1's on the 19's, but would like to know real world CR-S Experience. I would love to give them a go. Would love to see how the 20's fit on the wheels. Yes, I know they heat up quicker, and yes, I have read ALOT!

Let me know.
Please let me know if you've learned anything about the CR-S. I've been running Cup 2s on a 991.1 GTS and I'm only getting 5 HPDE days (20 heat cycles) before the tire degrades. Yesterday was day 5 and by the end of the third DE session one of the rears was chunking. I've been considering the AR-1 but if the CR-S is more tuned for HPDE use I am thinking about that. On my prior car (997.2 4S) I ran 18" Nitto NT-01. Do you have any experience that would allow you to compare the AR-1 to the NT-01 as far as behavior, longevity. I understand that NT-01s are not an option for the 991 in either 20 or 19 inch sizes. Thanks!
Pete
Old 04-03-2022, 09:31 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

How does the CR-S compare to the AR1?
Old 04-04-2022, 02:05 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Magnolia911
Please let me know if you've learned anything about the CR-S. I've been running Cup 2s on a 991.1 GTS and I'm only getting 5 HPDE days (20 heat cycles) before the tire degrades. Yesterday was day 5 and by the end of the third DE session one of the rears was chunking. I've been considering the AR-1 but if the CR-S is more tuned for HPDE use I am thinking about that. On my prior car (997.2 4S) I ran 18" Nitto NT-01. Do you have any experience that would allow you to compare the AR-1 to the NT-01 as far as behavior, longevity. I understand that NT-01s are not an option for the 991 in either 20 or 19 inch sizes. Thanks!
Pete
Originally Posted by erko1905
How does the CR-S compare to the AR1?
CR-S is a street tire, it's a 200tw max performance tire. The Cup2's and AR-1 are both track focused tires.
I would not take the CR-S on a track day, they most likely will start to overheat and not last long.
But on the street, or AX the CR-S is the best tire you can get on a GT3.

Quick Reply: Nankang CR-S on a GT3 old CR-1