Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires and alignment: long return road trip for track days

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 02:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I would NEVER change suspension for a road trip. Tires are disposable, and CUP2's even more so. If I'm going to do a long trip, I just put on a set of PS4S and drive, they last forever (in 911 terms) and if you need track tires, at the destination, have them shipped, or find a friend with a trailer going down.

One track day will be way more wear then a thousand miles on the road
Old 04-13-2022, 06:43 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

All good feedback, thanks. On the topic of track alignment, on my past 996 C2 (lowered) and 997 GTS cars I have run zero front toe for track setups so no issue doing same again with the .1 GT3. On my 997 GTS I ran PSC’s then later switched to NT01’s and found I did not need as much neg camber either F or R, I believe I was -1.8F/-2.0R with the NT01’s. Fine for the highway too, but those were very noisy tires, which was ok as I had both road and track rim sets. With the GT3 I am going (back) to PSC2’s as a one-tire-for-all, as I won’t have separate track and road rim sets. But how (if at all) does the rear steer direct rear camber and toe track settings?

Bottom line: I’d like to try the least aggressive but still confidently viable track alignment for PSC2’s… weigh in please.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid
All good feedback, thanks. On the topic of track alignment, on my past 996 C2 (lowered) and 997 GTS cars I have run zero front toe for track setups so no issue doing same again with the .1 GT3. On my 997 GTS I ran PSC’s then later switched to NT01’s and found I did not need as much neg camber either F or R, I believe I was -1.8F/-2.0R with the NT01’s. Fine for the highway too, but those were very noisy tires, which was ok as I had both road and track rim sets. With the GT3 I am going (back) to PSC2’s as a one-tire-for-all, as I won’t have separate track and road rim sets. But how (if at all) does the rear steer direct rear camber and toe track settings?

Bottom line: I’d like to try the least aggressive but still confidently viable track alignment for PSC2’s… weigh in please.
You can't have it all. Just do a stock alignment, and maybe adjust front toe.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

OP here , just to close the loop I completed the 2000km/1250mi trip incl. two track days. I ran one set of Cup2’s through it all with alignment settings of 2.3*F/2.1*R, zero F toe. I think those settings were the right compromise as the outside shoulders still showed most all of the Michelin Man indicators and they did wear a bit more than I liked but nowhere close to eating through the shoulder tread. And inside shoulders also were getting thinner from the highway but had plenty of tread left. I gotta say I am pretty impressed with the car (.1 GT3) as afternoon temps hit 38C/100F but water and oil temps stayed ok through 20-25 min sessions. The tires though definitely got a bit greasy towards the end of the afternoon sessions. Endless Blue pads and Brembo LCF 600 fluid held up really well too although I did get some pad residue left on the rotors so cold braking now has some shudders. Will scrub those next track day.

Finally, I will say if you ever have the chance to drive the Area 27 track in Oliver, BC, jump on it. An awesome, challenging track and fine clubhouse facility. Just 20 mins N of the WA border.

Quick Reply: Tires and alignment: long return road trip for track days