Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed in GT3 Touring - Can't Double Clutch Rev Match!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 12:03 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Why the hell would you double clutch a modern car?
It's a boomer thread
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 12:10 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 483 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
I miss it already and maybe I will go back to one with lower miles but I am enjoying the apparently better throttle response and possibly lighter flywheel (subjective) and smoother engine in 992 but again it has <450 miles and could be my imagination. Sometimes you wake up one day and decide, screw it, I can't deal with inability to determine whether car is right or off and that's what happened.. 991.2 GT3 Touring is a classic and will continue to appreciate, I got a bad specimen engine vibration wise, everything else in the car was PERFECT, clutch, transmission, handling, etc.
I basically did the opposite of you. Sold my 991.2 RS and bought a Touring over 3 years ago. The RS was an amazing car that I bought new (had a 991.1 RS before that is also bought new). I find driving the Touring more enjoyable on the street. I also like the subtle looks. I was fortunate to also get a 992 Touring allocation but kept the 991 so I could compare both of them back to back. After owning both for around 4 months I made the hard decision and sold the 992. Without going into great detail (which I did in other threads) I preferred the 991. With out a doubt the 992 is more “refined” but that’s not what I was looking for in a weekend car. I think the OG Touring is a keeper and that’s what I plan to do. Good luck on your future endeavors!
Old 06-24-2023, 12:37 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
It's a boomer thread
I know right. New thread "how do I hand crank my 911?"
MKIVdan (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 12:44 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 779 Posts

Last edited by flsupraguy; 06-24-2023 at 12:46 PM.
MKIVdan (06-25-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 07:43 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

@Bruce911_ Yep no doubt the 991.2 GT3 touring is a great car, and I did drive it more than my .2 3RS but in the end I couldn't deal with the vibrations in my sample. I will be on lookout for a low mileage one in the future. For now, I am done with it if that makes sense.

The throttle response of the 992 GT3 is more pure crisp and clean and there is less interference from the flat shift software during double clutching etc; the manual gearbox action is nice and clean.

I followed your dilemna with picking between generations and applauded your choosing the 991.2 GT3T variant. Maybe I come around like you at some point.

Boomers unite !

Last edited by catdog2; 06-24-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Apex Ace (06-26-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 08:37 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 483 Likes on 235 Posts

@Bruce911_ Yep no doubt the 991.2 GT3 touring is a great car, and I did drive it more than my .2 3RS but in the end I couldn't deal with the vibrations in my sample. I will be on lookout for a low mileage one in the future. For now, I am done with it if that makes sense.

The throttle response of the 992 GT3 is more pure crisp and clean and there is less interference from the flat shift software during double clutching etc; the manual gearbox action is nice and clean.

I followed your dilemna with picking between generations and applauded your choosing the 991.2 GT3T variant. Maybe I come around like you at some point.

Boomers unite !
Thanks, you can’t go wrong with any of those choices. They are all amazing cars!
Apex Ace (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 12:31 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I've been trying triple clutch up shifts recently, and I find them to be really enjoyable actually. I find it upsetting though that I can't reset the needle on my in-car LP player while moving, I can't believe Porsche doesn't let me do this.
I long for the days when I could manually advance and retard the spark from the driver's seat
catdog2 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 10:45 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Boomers unite !
curious what you meant by the vibrations? Do you mean how the whole car sort of shakes due to the engine?
Old 06-25-2023, 10:53 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
curious what you meant by the vibrations? Do you mean how the whole car sort of shakes due to the engine?
He explained it in post #86 in this thread.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:30 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
He explained it in post #86 in this thread.
thanks @348SStb ; the engine was glorious in the GT3 touring and it sounded angry and very strong but a little bit less refined than in my RS.

Maybe it was just my car, and it was very subtle but there; and whereas RS engine sounded like a mean screaming sewing machine that was perfectly balanced the engine in the GT3 touring sounded a little rougher and less balanced with some subtle vibrations at certain frequencies that got transmitted through the cabin (no shaking or rattling in the transmission) but faint but definite vibrations you could feel if you place your hand between seat and transmission tunnel. Those were prominent at 4-5k rpm and 'smoothed out' as you went up closer to redline.

They did not go away with service, spark plug change, serpentine belt change etc. and none of the 3 dealers I took it to felt anything was wrong with car and it was CPO. Part of my posting here is hope that another RLer who had or has had both confirm my experience one way or another. I chose not to spend my own money changing transmission and engine mounts to run out that vibration since I couldn't be sure it wasn't a characteristic of the manual 991.2 GT3T vs. my 22k mile car having had a checkered last despite clean DME.

The more I talk about the about the car the more I miss it, the downshifts in auto-blip mode with sports exhaust on we're exhilarating, it's a unique car.

Last edited by catdog2; 06-25-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:10 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

thanks @348SStb ; the engine was glorious in the GT3 touring and it sounded angry and very strong but a little bit less refined than in my RS.

Maybe it was just my car, and it was very subtle but there; and whereas RS engine sounded like a mean screaming sewing machine that was perfectly balanced the engine in the GT3 touring sounded a little rougher and less balanced with some subtle vibrations at certain frequencies that got transmitted through the cabin (no shaking or rattling in the transmission) but faint but definite vibrations you could feel if you place your hand between seat and transmission tunnel. Those were prominent at 4-5k rpm and 'smoothed out' as you went up closer to redline.

They did not go away with service, spark plug change, serpentine belt change etc. and none of the 3 dealers I took it to felt anything was wrong with car and it was CPO. Part of my posting here is hope that another RLer who had or has had both confirm my experience one way or another. I chose not to spend my own money changing transmission and engine mounts to run out that vibration since I couldn't be sure it wasn't a characteristic of the manual 991.2 GT3T vs. my 22k mile car having had a checkered last despite clean DME.

The more I talk about the about the car the more I miss it, the downshifts in auto-blip mode with sports exhaust on we're exhilarating, it's a unique car.
ah
I agree with your assessment. I have a touring and rs. I always chalked it up to the psychology that you’d expect the vibrations in a RS but not a touring, but at end of day nearly identical engines. Grown to love it.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in GT3 Touring - Can't Double Clutch Rev Match!!