Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 Engine Worries

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 03:20 PM
nikuhina
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 991.1 GT3 Engine Worries

Hey all. Currently have a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 on order, to be delivered sometime early December ish. Depending on what the markets are looking like, may decide to pony up a bit extra for a 991.1 GT3...

Is there anywhere I can find a concise description of precisely what can go wrong with .1 engines, how much it would cost to fix, and how long it would take to fix?

After the 10-year Porsche warranty runs out, I have read somewhere that you can get an extended warranty with the same terms from Porsche, basically extending the factory warranty. Where can I find more info on this?

I'm worried about buying a .1 GT3, original warranty running out, and then the engine breaking...

Popular Reply

07-30-2022, 01:30 PM
ddugas01

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I’d rather own a 992 cup car, and have a team to haul it to my favorite track and adjust the suspension, alignment etc.. and then have my pilot fly me to one of my many homes or where my super yacht is currently moored, in my G650 jet with a crew of super models attending to my every desire. That’s what I’d prefer if I had a choice. In the meantime, I’ll just have to tolerate knowing there are people who have more and people who have less, and some of the people who have more take great pride in letting the people who have less know they have less. But I have a consistent sub 2:20 track time at COTA in a 2014 3.8L 991 GT3. I pass a lot of drivers who have a newer, faster, more expensive car. Maybe they should invest more in their skills and less in their cars?
Old 07-27-2022, 03:34 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

Lots in this forum to read with some searching. The quick part is the following:

1) All engines (E, F, original G in 2016) are possibly impacted by the finger follower problem.

2) G6 replacement motors are thought to be better, but there is a debate whether the fix is a permanent one or whether the finger followers in those can fail as well.

3) PCNA has been very good about replacing motors under warranty.

4) It is possible to extend the warranties on these motors, I have one that goes through 2027 on my 2016 (original 10 year warranty expires in 2025).

My perspective, owning a 2016 with a G6 replacement? Hard to find any track car with a ten year warranty on the motor, or in my case a 12 year. If mine blows after 2027, I'll put in a 4.0 RS motor.

Cost to replace outside of warranty is probably $40k to $50k. And, I'd also expect the market to develop a "fix" as these 10 year warranties expire, Dundon has one about 80% engineered now.
The following 6 users liked this post by dsteding:
Airbag997 (07-28-2022), BerlinDaniel (08-13-2022), mikey997 (11-30-2023), RDCR (07-30-2022), rekka (01-16-2024), slimmn (08-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2022, 03:36 PM
nikuhina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsteding
Lots in this forum to read with some searching. The quick part is the following:

1) All engines (E, F, original G in 2016) are possibly impacted by the finger follower problem.

2) G6 replacement motors are thought to be better, but there is a debate whether the fix is a permanent one or whether the finger followers in those can fail as well.

3) PCNA has been very good about replacing motors under warranty.

4) It is possible to extend the warranties on these motors, I have one that goes through 2027 on my 2016 (original 10 year warranty expires in 2025).

My perspective, owning a 2016 with a G6 replacement? Hard to find any track car with a ten year warranty on the motor, or in my case a 12 year. If mine blows after 2027, I'll put in a 4.0 RS motor.

Cost to replace outside of warranty is probably $40k to $50k. And, I'd also expect the market to develop a "fix" as these 10 year warranties expire, Dundon has one about 80% engineered now.
TY for the summary!

4) How long can it be extended, how much does it cost, and does it cover a "free complete new engine"?
Old 07-27-2022, 03:41 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 414 Likes on 300 Posts

Hey @nikuhina It is my understanding that once the vehicle becomes 10 years old, that extended warranty from Porsche becomes null, there is no additional 10 years from Porsche, that would mean those cars have 20 years of warranty from Porsche... doesn't really make sense. Here is a link to some information about the 10 year from Porsche on the 991 GT3

https://www.motor1.com/news/176404/p...nded-warranty/

Our extended warranty provider Freedom Warranty does offer extended warranty on the 991 GT3, repairs accepted at all Porsche dealers and licensed independents in the country. For quotes, questions, and example contracts you can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Old 07-27-2022, 03:42 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

It depends, I got a 6 year from time of purchase (we ran my car through the dealership on a private party sale for the seller to get a tax credit) for about $1200 per year. It would cover the engine if it fails, the car still has the 10 year warranty on that as well.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:26 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 414 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding
It depends, I got a 6 year from time of purchase (we ran my car through the dealership on a private party sale for the seller to get a tax credit) for about $1200 per year. It would cover the engine if it fails, the car still has the 10 year warranty on that as well.
Makes sense, I would think you would not be able to do the same if you were to buy a GT3 today.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:37 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nikuhina
Hey all. Currently have a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 on order, to be delivered sometime early December ish. Depending on what the markets are looking like, may decide to pony up a bit extra for a 991.1 GT3...

Is there anywhere I can find a concise description of precisely what can go wrong with .1 engines, how much it would cost to fix, and how long it would take to fix?

After the 10-year Porsche warranty runs out, I have read somewhere that you can get an extended warranty with the same terms from Porsche, basically extending the factory warranty. Where can I find more info on this?

I'm worried about buying a .1 GT3, original warranty running out, and then the engine breaking...
The difference in price between a 991.1 & 991.2 is about the same price of an engine replacement. If you go with a 991.1 you can effectively (1) Drive the snot out of it up until the warranty is about to expire and get an engine changed. (2) As I believe the real number of replaced engines is marginally small (no one but Porsche knows the real numbers) I would take the risk and buy a 991.1 As aftermarket solutions will become available (Dundon) and my guess the repairs in the event of FF failures will be a top engine rework which is exactly what Porsche is doing with the engine replacements.

Note: If you go with a 991.2 make sure you factor in the real cost of ownership to specifically include Registration, Sales Tax and Insurance.

For the reasons stated, I bought a 991.1 with a factory E replacement that I understand did not have the Finger Followers that were made in India with "Inclusion" issues.

Whatever you decide, don't fall into the Analysis Paralysis mode or you will drive yourself crazy.

One last thought. Instead of buying an extended warranty and a couple of months before my 10 Year warranty expires, I'm taking my GT3 for an engine out inspection of the Cam, FF and oil journals at a cost of ~$5k. Cheap insurance if you ask me! Enjoy life, its too short to worry about uncontrollable events
The following 6 users liked this post by TinyPP:
gt3fast (08-11-2022), Marco Tronqued (02-27-2024), mikey997 (11-30-2023), namgoolam (01-07-2024), RDCR (07-27-2022), sdm100 (07-28-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2022, 04:43 PM
nikuhina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TinyPP
The difference in price between a 991.1 & 991.2 is about the same price of an engine replacement. If you go with a 991.1 you can effectively (1) Drive the snot out of it up until the warranty is about to expire and get an engine changed. (2) As I believe the real number of replaced engines is marginally small (no one but Porsche knows the real numbers) I would take the risk and buy a 991.1 As aftermarket solutions will become available (Dundon) and my guess the repairs in the event of FF failures will be a top engine rework which is exactly what Porsche is doing with the engine replacements.

Note: If you go with a 991.2 make sure you factor in the real cost of ownership to specifically include Registration, Sales Tax and Insurance.

For the reasons stated, I bought a 991.1 with a factory E replacement that I understand did not have the Finger Followers that were made in India with "Inclusion" issues.

Whatever you decide, don't fall into the Analysis Paralysis mode or you will drive yourself crazy.

One last thought. Instead of buying an extended warranty and a couple of months before my 10 Year warranty expires, I'm taking my GT3 for an engine out inspection of the Cam, FF and oil journals at a cost of ~$5k. Cheap insurance if you ask me! Enjoy life, its too short to worry about uncontrollable events
@TinyPP , great insight! A $5k out of pocket expense to inspect and verify you are not expecting a big engine failure is an excellent idea.
The following users liked this post:
muzz62 (01-12-2024)
Old 07-27-2022, 04:48 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Originally Posted by nikuhina
@TinyPP , great insight! A $5k out of pocket expense to inspect and verify you are not expecting a big engine failure is an excellent idea.
I negotiated the $5K reduction in his ask when I bought the car. Effectively the seller paid for my peace of mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by TinyPP:
991C2S88 (11-26-2023), nikuhina (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 10:11 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

It would be beneficial to understand that Porsche dealer doing the tear down would know what to look for to asses potential failure and then their commitment to fix/repair prior to failure (preventative). Has anyone successfully achieved this? Inspection no problem or inspection trigger fix?

Should we as a community make a list of dealers willing to work with owners?

I would be willing to travel distance for piece of mind.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Makes sense, I would think you would not be able to do the same if you were to buy a GT3 today.
I did this last fall, and I think the extended warranty thing on a GT3 is a relatively new offering from Porsche. The idea of paying to tear down the engine is a good one too, and I agree on not falling victim to paralysis by analysis. If you find a good one and like the price, buy it. Drive the crap out of it. The smiles are worth it.
sdm100 (07-28-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

It was less of a worry in late 2018 when I bought my 2015. The car came with 3+ more years of warranty and I paid $30K less than current prices. My F engine has been flawless unfortunately LOL. I like the idea of pulling the heads off and taking apart for inspection too. If there are no issues just putting the parts all back together might start a failure. Once you get any scoring the misfires won't be long after.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:20 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by mipcar
It would be beneficial to understand that Porsche dealer doing the tear down would know what to look for to asses potential failure and then their commitment to fix/repair prior to failure (preventative). Has anyone successfully achieved this? Inspection no problem or inspection trigger fix?

Should we as a community make a list of dealers willing to work with owners?

I would be willing to travel distance for piece of mind.
I saw the parts that failed up close and personal after Monterey Porsche tore it down. Trust me even a blind squirrel would find that nut.
991C2S88 (11-26-2023)
Old 07-27-2022, 10:57 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a few years but a used .2 engine and deck lid are cheaper than the price differential so worst case you’re spending the same money. Haven’t heard of a lot of replacement engines failing. Bye late 991.1. Track hard. Enjoy.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:10 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDCR
It was less of a worry in late 2018 when I bought my 2015. The car came with 3+ more years of warranty and I paid $30K less than current prices. My F engine has been flawless unfortunately LOL. I like the idea of pulling the heads off and taking apart for inspection too. If there are no issues just putting the parts all back together might start a failure. Once you get any scoring the misfires won't be long after.
I bet there's a way to stick a camera up through an open valve via the sparkplug access hole in the head. Hell if they can get rid of tonsils by going through a human's back end anything is possible.
991C2S88 (11-26-2023)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 Engine Worries