Sponsored by:

991 speedster vs 992 gt3 w/ manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 05:42 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Ive also driven a Spyder and owned a 991 Spyder, and hands down no comparison the Speedster hands down a more superior car. My comments around the Speedster and the GT3, my assessments it’s the ECU because one is a street track car and the other a street car. The Speedster clearly is a GT3 product no mistaken, but driving on the street is more enjoyable, I sold my 2019 RS for the speedster as my track days were reduced too many other hobbies. Good luck on your choice and most speedster guys will die with the keys in their hand, car was produced 5 times I believe and this is the first with the GT3 engine. I’m just not a 992 guy I’m an analogue gauge guy when it comes to manual cars, and not so much a fan all the digital displays and button pushing. Good luck on your choice no wrong answer get what you love.
This is true. I love my Speedster so much that it encouraged me to buy the 991.2 touring to be able to enjoy that in the winter months and swap them out come spring and summer.

The following 2 users liked this post by jp884:
Maverick787 (11-26-2022), rk-d (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 06:55 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

". . . most speedster guys will die with the keys in their hand . . . ."

Add me to that list! Speedster is brilliant, and in a different league than the Boxster Spyder (I have the older 987 Boxster Spyder).

Last edited by zellamsee; 11-26-2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:29 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Amazing how clam, and good car talk happens with the speedster group. 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
JAM2 (11-28-2022), zellamsee (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:09 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

Like you all, my Speedster is a “forever” car. I have over 11k miles since new and don’t plan on stopping any time soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by rshanholtz:
JAM2 (11-28-2022), zellamsee (11-27-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:13 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts

Thank you all for feedback. Adding speedster to the wish list., hopefully I’ll get a chance to experience one before committing.

buying questions:
Are there any must have options?
on the spyder, it’s simple just tick buckets, pccb, manual, nothing else really matters.
Are sofas a no no? (I have buckets in my Porsches, but my wife doesn’t love them. She is actually a pro at getting in and out, but still doesn’t like them. My kids don’t like them either. I guess I could get a bucket car and buy a 4 way to install in passenger seat?)

how does one track market pricing? Last bat was 77 over for heritage. Pricing seemed to soften from summer and several bat rnm and a few cargurus cars sitting for months with big price cuts

if I am going to pile the miles on, does that change what I should look for?

this has been a great thread. I am absolutely not asking what the market should be or if it will go up or down. NOT a value thread! Just getting feel for current market and trends in transaction prices

Old 11-28-2022, 10:14 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,239 Likes on 2,729 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
Thank you all for feedback. Adding speedster to the wish list., hopefully I’ll get a chance to experience one before committing.

buying questions:
on the spyder, it’s simple just tick buckets, pccb, manual, nothing else really matters.
Are sofas a no no? (I have buckets in my Porsches, but my wife doesn’t love them. She is actually a pro at getting in and out, but still doesn’t like them. My kids don’t like them either. I guess I could get a bucket car and buy a 4 way to install in passenger seat?)

how does one track market pricing? Last bat was 77 over for heritage. Pricing seemed to soften from summer and several bat rnm and a few cargurus cars sitting for months with big price cuts

this has been a great thread. I am absolutely not asking what the market should be or if it will go up or down. NOT a value thread! Just getting feel for current market and trends in transaction prices

I’m not a Speedster owner, but I recently bought a GT3 Touring so I have some idea of where you’re coming from. I was interested in only a very particular spec (extended leather, full carbon interior, buckets, PCCBs, FAL) ideally with CPO and perfect paint. As you can imagine that winnowed the field quite a bit. I looked at cars.com, the Porsche website and BAT.

BaT was a decent approx. gauge of current market pricing (maybe a smidge on the higher side when you add the BaT tax), but the fact is when you are looking for a rare car/particular spec you take what you can get. There are probably only a small handful of Speedsters available for sale right now and you probably have the prices memorized. I suspect dealers will sit on these cars until they get their buyer - and there is always a buyer for rare Porsches.

You have the advantage that you are looking for this during the colder months. I would be surprised if there was a big drop in pricing - not at least until a 992 Speedster comes out (if it ever does) and even then, like the GT3 Touring, there will be people who simply prefer the aesthetics and ethos of the 991.2 which will likely keep the prices relatively stable.

In other words - if you find the perfect car, then do the best you can. I don’t think this is the one where you make a windfall in pricing. I would regret passing on the perfect car for a small amount of money.

My .02c anyway.

Last edited by rk-d; 11-28-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:11 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13

buying questions:

You will alway get opinions, I’m a firm believer get the car you love and will enjoy the most. PCCB’s are standard on the Speedsters so good there, but my must have was PTS and bucket seats I love them, and for me it will sets off the car with full leather options. By the way I drive mine in the winter top down sub 40 degrees …….not a lot of cars out there so when you see the right spec grab it. My keys will stay with me until I die so get the spec you love. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:35 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

I won’t touch a Porsche with out full leather and deviated stitching, lol…yes I’m that guy.

$350k car and plastic dash is 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Most Speedster are well spec’d I find. Like others have said, if you see one you like don’t hesitate.

GRP I believe still has the purple one that failed to sell on BAT.
My local dealer in Toronto has a PTS Ferrari red one(can’t recall the exact red). With the exchange rate it might be worth looking for a car in Canada and importing it.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:44 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Agree -- leather is a must! As are sport buckets and PCCBs -- fortunately, both are standard equipment.

One over-looked "must have" is AC. By default, Speedsters did NOT come with AC. Instead, one had to affirmatively select the 2-zone automatic climate control option (#573).

"Nice to haves" include: (i) extended range fuel tank (#082), (ii) LEDs (#XEY), (iii) front-axle lift (#474) and (iv) BOSE (#9VL).

Attaching a few select pages from the brochure, listing available options.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:33 PM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Wow, some great content here!

I have the 992 GT3 Touring in Manual and a 991 Speedster and I have to say it is remarkable how different the cars can feel and sound for a car that has the same engine, gearbox and OPF filter system.

The Speedster has more mechanical whir when driving, which I like. It also tends to muffle the engine noise with all of the roof and other padding that sits on top of the engine which I dislike.

The Touring you can really push to 10/10 and you can feel the front end hook up hard around corners, it is actually extraordinary how it hangs on!

Even though both cars are from a different design year, the speedster does not feel dated to me, it almost feel like a true modern classic.

Now let's talk about values of the Speedster!

1. The Speedster is a numbered car with a GT3 Engine and a Manual Gearbox and a speedster roof!!! I mean, what more could you want??
2. Just look at the other speedster year models.... They are so expensive compared with this car.
3. In years to come, this will be very well sort after and hard to get, with prices going mental! When everything is Electric, people are going to crawl over broken glass to have one of these!
4. I think that they are currently cheap at the moment based on supply.... It's a great time to secure one for the future!
The following 2 users liked this post by Condor Man:
uhn2000 (12-11-2022), zellamsee (11-29-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:53 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I absolutely love my speedster, I am a pretty avid Ferrari guy and the speedster is the only car I have actually sold and then rebought! One thing that stands out is how usable it is just around town and then once you get some open road is rewards in so many ways. I actually love having my 550 Barchetta and Speedster side by side! So cool to see the different approach by each storied company!

Quick Reply: 991 speedster vs 992 gt3 w/ manual