Sponsored by:

Dundon Street Headers / side valve deletes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 04:17 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dundon Street Headers / side valve deletes

I got myself a set of Dundon Street headers and side valved deletes used about a year ago. At first everything was fine then slowly over the year there was an intermittent clanging sound that wasn't always reproducible. I don't track the car, but push it from time to time. As time went on it became worse and i filmed it and sent to my shop to check out when it when in for service. Apparently one of the valves is busted. I contacted Dundon and they told me the warranty doesn't transfer. Anyone have any fixes for this besides buying new side deletes. (side note i'm running the stock center)

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:35 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

That’s a shame to hear Dundon won’t transfer the warranty. Sadly you’re forced to buy Dundon’s valves as regular side deletes don’t work with their street headers. They’re pretty expensive too, but maybe they’ll sell you a single replacement instead of you having to buy a pair.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:48 AM
markiegt3
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I am in the UK and looking to buy a similar setup from Dundon in the next few months, so interested to hear if valve repairable or you need a new side delete section.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:07 AM
hatallas
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a similar issue, although I’m not running dundon but the MR side pipes delete. It’s not always the entire valve that is busted but the clamping/holding mount of it.

the kit you have is using the OEM valves? Like you transferred them?

can you post a picture/video of the valve itself?
Old 02-20-2023, 06:35 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by markiegt3
I am in the UK and looking to buy a similar setup from Dundon in the next few months, so interested to hear if valve repairable or you need a new side delete section.
Buy new and don’t sweat it. Dundon stands behind their products. It is also well known the warranty doesn’r transfer, which is reasonable. Dundon doesn’t have any control over the sale of used products by private parties, no way to tell how it was used, installed, or handled.

I disagree with the response stating it is a “shame” the warranty doesn’t transfer. Again, it isn’t a secret that the warranty doesn’t transfer. You can read about it here. https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pages/policies. First hit when you Google “Dundon Warranty.” People buying used stuff are saving money but taking a small chance.
The following users liked this post:
fractionofawhole (02-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:20 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding
Buy new and don’t sweat it. Dundon stands behind their products. It is also well known the warranty doesn’r transfer, which is reasonable. Dundon doesn’t have any control over the sale of used products by private parties, no way to tell how it was used, installed, or handled.

I disagree with the response stating it is a “shame” the warranty doesn’t transfer. Again, it isn’t a secret that the warranty doesn’t transfer. You can read about it here. https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pages/policies. First hit when you Google “Dundon Warranty.” People buying used stuff are saving money but taking a small chance.
agreed, it is an unreasonable expectation to expect to get the warranty given to the original owner transferred when buying used parts. Its very simple if you want a warranty buy them new, when you buy used that's the risk you run.

Last edited by tgibrit; 02-20-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:23 AM
markiegt3
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi sir,

Yes, accept warranties rarely transfer, presume that comment was directed at Xec?

I will probably buy new, just keen to see if fixable rather than buying a new side delete, as being in the UK, it will mean the car is out of use for a bit of time.

Dundon parts look high quality, hence considering buying from the good ol' US of A rather than home grown parts, as Dundon look like they really go the extra mile.

Do we know what valves are used? Fabspeed make a great deal of noise re using Helical valves (UK product funny enough), saying they are the best and least likely to fail.

Regards,

Mark
Old 02-20-2023, 01:20 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 568 Posts

no way to tell how it was used, installed, or handled.
The exact same applies to the first customer who does get a warranty. I agree it's common practice and clearly stated but the only reason companies do this is it's a convenient way to lower their overall warranty liabilities and nobody can complain about it.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:37 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

Originally Posted by markiegt3

they told me i would need a new set which is 2450 plus tax. They didnt mention if it was repairable. Any problem with running it without the valve working?
Old 02-20-2023, 06:39 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

Originally Posted by hatallas
I have a similar issue, although I’m not running dundon but the MR side pipes delete. It’s not always the entire valve that is busted but the clamping/holding mount of it.

the kit you have is using the OEM valves? Like you transferred them?

can you post a picture/video of the valve itself?

I sadly dont have the pic i have the valve out of the one sdie at the moment. They were the dundon side deletes which come with it i believe. On ly thing left stock is the center
Old 02-20-2023, 07:14 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I don’t get it, in what world do warranties not usually transfer? Even car warranties transfer. The .1 10-year engine warranty follows the engine, not the original owner of the car. Even PC graphics cards have warranties that will transfer to the secondhand owners. I believe Soul at least offers to work with secondhand owners if anything breaks.

Anyways, OP - maybe an exhaust valve module could help? Maybe if you force it to 100% open all the time, it could help mitigate the noise…
Old 02-20-2023, 08:28 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

Originally Posted by Xec
I don’t get it, in what world do warranties not usually transfer? Even car warranties transfer. The .1 10-year engine warranty follows the engine, not the original owner of the car. Even PC graphics cards have warranties that will transfer to the secondhand owners. I believe Soul at least offers to work with secondhand owners if anything breaks.

Anyways, OP - maybe an exhaust valve module could help? Maybe if you force it to 100% open all the time, it could help mitigate the noise…

That was my thought if i buy a Porsche thats 1 year old, the warranty transfers. craftsman is a "lifetime warranty" it breaks they replace. I also understand why they don't want to replace but i think the term lifetime is used incorrectly.

My shop took out the valve, and i took it home to figure out my next move. They said you can still drive the car like this.

Really just looking for a solution or if me driving with 1 valve can negatively impact anything in my car
Old 02-20-2023, 09:04 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by SShrem80
I got myself a set of Dundon Street headers and side valved deletes used about a year ago. At first everything was fine then slowly over the year there was an intermittent clanging sound that wasn't always reproducible. I don't track the car, but push it from time to time. As time went on it became worse and i filmed it and sent to my shop to check out when it when in for service. Apparently one of the valves is busted. I contacted Dundon and they told me the warranty doesn't transfer. Anyone have any fixes for this besides buying new side deletes. (side note i'm running the stock center)

Thanks in advance.
I was on the fence and about to finally pull that trigger on the same setup, and your information has led me to consider an alternative MOD especially at that Dundon cost metric.
Always had good luck with Akra exhaust systems, but that was also with an old S65 e92 M3 application.
Back to square one, lol
Old 02-20-2023, 10:08 PM
DDE997
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

What item broke?
Old 02-23-2023, 09:44 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

Originally Posted by DDE997
What item broke?