Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a very low mile 6 year old car with overdue maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 03:29 PM
Chimi-Changa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should not be a secret. As the private dealer with this one let me help: 2018 GT3 207 miles. Owned originally in California, 10k service done at Porsche South Bay on 3/19 with 106miles. Traded 4/22 to a Rolls Royce dealer in NC. We bought it 4/22 and did an oil service on it 5/22.

It came with an Interstate Battery. We have had it in our climate controlled showroom, tires over inflated, with Star-tron stabilizer in it. Started every once in a while ...But don't believe me! ( 12 plus years P car sales at local dealerships, Double brand Ambas, 918 Certified, etc) Best- JC

Last edited by Chimi-Changa; 03-13-2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:20 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

As 38D said, condensation is probably not the issue with the oil. Oil can get contaminated with acids produced from combustion, but that's splitting angstroms and how many miles has this car actually been driven?

Yes, think fluids, fluids, fluids. Everything should be flushed and changed. The tires are a given. I would get an estimate for the cost of getting the car current and deduct that amount from the asking price. The seller should either do this themself or be willing to allow for it in selling price.

This is like buying a house that needs a roof. The final sale price will take that into account.

As for worrying about future problems with the car, I would not be too concerned, but I do most of my own maintenance and the things likely to give you grief are fuel filters and maybe some seals and gaskets. You should clean house and just drive the damn thing, particularly if you do get a CPO.
The following users liked this post:
Palting (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 12:16 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Bottom line: The premium on the low miles needs to be balanced by the cost of bringing the maintenance up to date. The other option is that the current owner brings the maintenance up to date, and then ask for the full price with premium. Either way, I would seriously consider buying the car. Flip side, would not buy it as -is at premium.

Just adding my voice to the choir that has already said the above.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:24 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

I wouldn't worry, but that's me.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:59 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like the car needs to go into a collection, not driven.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:45 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
As 38D said, condensation is probably not the issue with the oil. Oil can get contaminated with acids produced from combustion, but that's splitting angstroms and how many miles has this car actually been driven?

Yes, think fluids, fluids, fluids. Everything should be flushed and changed. The tires are a given. I would get an estimate for the cost of getting the car current and deduct that amount from the asking price. The seller should either do this themself or be willing to allow for it in selling price.

This is like buying a house that needs a roof. The final sale price will take that into account.

As for worrying about future problems with the car, I would not be too concerned, but I do most of my own maintenance and the things likely to give you grief are fuel filters and maybe some seals and gaskets. You should clean house and just drive the damn thing, particularly if you do get a CPO.
THIS is spot-on IMO. Hope you will drive it as Porsche is meant to be driven not just sit and look pretty; however, it does both quite well especially this one! Negotiate and win is my bet.

Quick Reply: Buying a very low mile 6 year old car with overdue maintenance