Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket Insert Comparison (Justin, P1Design, ClassicFX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 03:52 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Bucket Insert Comparison (Justin, P1Design, ClassicFX)

Recently received Justin Placek (JP) bucket insert and wanted to do a quick comparison between JP, P1Design, ClassicFX). Fortunately a friend @porsche bud have both P1Design and ClassicFX to allow me to do this comparison to see what the hype is about JP's insert.

Short Version:
  • Overall 3 are VERY similar in terms of look & feel. But VERY different within the details.
  • JP's inserts are not cheap; then again, what is cheap in the Porsche world?
  • Justin's overall is like buying an Apple iPhone from quality perspective. Every little details are designed to perfection, even if it's something you don't see.
  • P1Design/ClassicFX are like Samsung phones. Great overall quality but not the same level of detail obsession.
  • Comfort & fitment is all very similar. JP & ClassicFX both uses OEM foams. P1Design has memory foam which are noticeably more comfortable but also a bit bulky to the look.

Long Version:

Price:
I start with the price because almost everyone knows JP's insert is almost twice the cost of P1Design & ClassicFX. The question is - is it worth it? I will leave this question open since everyone's value to money is different. For me it was and I will explain more in details below and in summary.

Order Process/Payments/Shipments:
I contacted JP via his IG to discuss some of the fabric availability. Most of what he posted on IG are available but are hand cut/made; therefore leadtime is about 8-10 weeks depending what you get. I picked the most basic tartane fabrics so it was about 8 weeks long plus 3 days shipping via Fedex. Hell, even shipping was expensive but it was FAST considering it was shipped from Belgium. After I selected my fabrics he sent me an invoice via email for payment submission. You can use either wire or use www.wise.com but I wanted to rack up my credit card points so I pay via PayPal, which he requested to be Friends & Family (or you can pay for the fees). Yes, I felt a bit fishy to send a payment via Friends & Family for such a large amount but I took a gamble since he has a reputation to keep. When the product was finished he provided a tracking number shipped via Fedex and it arrived at my door step 3 days after he shipped.

I also ordered a matching lumbar support for my old man back. I have pictures below.

Overall Packaging & Out of Box Experience:
Brown overbox packed with bubble wraps. Below are what greeted you when you open it. A very nice soft cotton fabric covers with the fabric of choice at the opening. Compare to P1Design which is a soft bag covers (it's not bad but not the same quality).

Inserts Comparison/Fabric:
JP inserts are the blue/white tartane. ClassicFX is the houndstooth, and P1Design is the yellow grey. As I said above, all three are very similar but differences are within the details. Pay attention to JP's insert at the back side and at the corner of the velcro. Also compare the end sewing differences. While this generally not shown when inserts are installed but it's the attention to details and the overall quality handling that I appreciate. Also note the P1Design is slightly thicker due to it being memory foam.

The fabric on JP feels about mid-weight so hopefully its less prone to wrinkles. All 3 fabrics feels about the same but JP's fabric feels a bit softer to the touch (possibly because the fabric I picked?).

Below pic shows JP's insert also include the harness cutout. The fabric extended from the opposite side to all the way to the bottom. Similar to ClassicFX.

Below is Justin's edge cutting

Below is ClassicFX

Below is backside of back insert

One thing that was noticeable for me was the sewing on the back inserts that shows the 3 sections. Not sure what's the right way to describe it but JP's fabric was far more indent into insert itself so it's almost showing like a 3 pieces. Where as P1Design is less pronounce.

Installation/Fitments:
JP's insert took some time to install on the bottom because the mount at the front of the seat was fresh and it was hard to get the rail to line up with the inserts. Once it's in it's fully secured. Overall fitment I'm quite happy as I'm very particular around the fitment of the top of back insert not protruding too much. Again, comparison between JP/ClassicFX are very close but P1Design does stick out a bit more due to it being memory foam. The lumbar support when placed on the seat the lines is close to matching. Notice the back insert line is very close to the bottom seat so it has a seamless line.

Final Words/Conclusion:
If money is less of a concern I would highly recommend JP's. The overall quality & fitment is just fantastic. I would almost say it's better than OEMs. Since I picked a pretty mundane fabric choice one could argue I could get them from ClassicFX/P1Design for half of the costs. I would probably agree. However, if you're into specialty design inserts I believe JP comes over the top over P1Design/ClassicFX. I've seen some incredible one off design from JP that I have not seen from others; but of course they come at a hefty price. For example, I REALLY like the leather weaves + the holes that brings the Singer vibe but it was pricey. But you know you'll get one of the kind with top notch quality product! You can check out some of his design on his IG (https://www.instagram.com/justinplacek/).

I would say at the end you can't go wrong with any of them. I just like JP's insert slightly better.

Last edited by jimmymoO; 05-13-2023 at 08:48 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by jimmymoO:
air-cooledjbj (05-18-2023), Blue Flame (06-24-2023), fijibubba (05-27-2023), fjpdds (05-14-2023), inspire (05-13-2023), KoNy (05-16-2023), mattyf (05-13-2023), NCheok (05-13-2023), porsche bud (05-14-2023), Porsche911GTS'16 (05-14-2023), RolandT (05-16-2023), smiles11 (05-15-2023), TheDangerZone (05-14-2023), touringGT3 (05-21-2023), UncleDude (06-23-2023) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-2023, 11:15 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 145 Posts

Great review. Thanks for your the feedback.

I have P1 in memory foam and normal and they good and I have a set of Classic coming with OEM material(911R).

My issue with these after market inserts is how the back and bottom cushion meet. OEM has tight fit and has no gap when you sit down as the bottom cushion extends a little further to prevent any gaps. P1 when you sit will have a slight gap, I’m hoping Classic won’t as Garry says his foam is exactly like OEM.

Last edited by STALKER99; 05-14-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:57 PM
meangt3rs
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I got inserts from Justin as well. I am beyond happy with them! I don’t thing anyone else is doing the woven leather on inserts.
The following 6 users liked this post by meangt3rs:
991C2S88 (06-08-2023), Apex Ace (06-16-2023), Dervish (05-15-2023), fjpdds (05-14-2023), motts (05-16-2023), RolandT (05-16-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-2023, 07:30 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by meangt3rs

I got inserts from Justin as well. I am beyond happy with them! I don’t thing anyone else is doing the woven leather on inserts.
Those look awesome. I almost did it but got an exhaust instead. They were pretty much the same price.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:45 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Great review. Thanks for your the feedback.

I have P1 in memory foam and normal and they good and I have a set of Classic coming with OEM material(911R).

My issue with these after market inserts is how the back and bottom cushion meet. OEM has tight fit and has no gap when you sit down as the bottom cushion extends a little further to prevent any gaps. P1 when you sit will have a slight gap, I’m hoping Classic won’t as Garry says his foam is exactly like OEM.
I can tell you Justin's is very tight fitting. I had to install from the top first in order to slide in the bottom. If you start from the bottom of the back insert you won't be able to get the top in.

These are the ones I like! It's very Singer vibe to it but they're $$$$. I bet when you saw them in person everything went away
Old 05-15-2023, 09:55 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Both of those inserts from JP look great. Just from the pics, the detail looks incredible. I must order some. The lumbar pillow looks great. Like the grommets. I want to order a set for my Speedster which is expresso/black interior with silver stitching. I got a sample pic from JP of expresso leather and black alcantera weave. I'm sure the sample weave would look different in the car but as a sample it doesn't stand out. Maybe some different colors on the leather weave? Any quick thoughts?

leather weave sample.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:03 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimmymoO
I can tell you Justin's is very tight fitting. I had to install from the top first in order to slide in the bottom. If you start from the bottom of the back insert you won't be able to get the top in.

These are the ones I like! It's very Singer vibe to it but they're $$$$. I bet when you saw them in person everything went away
Were the Classic inserts tight fitting, better than P1?
Old 05-16-2023, 02:20 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tims16m
Both of those inserts from JP look great. Just from the pics, the detail looks incredible. I must order some. The lumbar pillow looks great. Like the grommets. I want to order a set for my Speedster which is expresso/black interior with silver stitching. I got a sample pic from JP of expresso leather and black alcantera weave. I'm sure the sample weave would look different in the car but as a sample it doesn't stand out. Maybe some different colors on the leather weave? Any quick thoughts?

leather weave sample.

Leather weaves would look great. I think you should add some color like you have on the kicker plate (Green?) with a stripe through it, or maybe the white like your air vent. It's all personal preference.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:21 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

They were about the same. I think JP was harder to fit because it was first time using install so the front bottom of the seat cushion where you attach to the rail was hard to get it on.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:29 AM
porsche bud
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say they’re the same because both are using OEM foam.

P1’s fit slightly different given the custom memory foam (which I’ve gotten used to over time). Not quite OEM, but still pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
jimmymoO (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 10:17 AM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

I went with a 4th option, Frank @ Exclusive Option. We reused my OEM cushions, he added heating seat elements that I sent to him, and then reupholstered with a layer of red alcantara followed by a layer of perforated black/OE alcantara. Pics don't do it justice as the camera has a hard time focusings on the red and instead blurs the black/red to a pink. But I'm very happy. More expensive than P1. But also they went the extra mile by putting the heated seat elements in for me.

I hope this helps anyone considering all the insert options.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:26 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I reached out to JP & he doesn’t have any OEM 911R black/silver houndstooth material available. I really prefer JP’s craftsmanship.

So I’m between ClassicFX & Exclusive Option… I’ve had Garry’s covers in the past & they’re fantastic! So it’s nice to see some comparisons on this thread. Will need to decide if I’m going through Garry again or give Frank a try. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited by smiles11; 06-10-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:27 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
I reached out to JP & he doesn’t have any OEM 911R black/silver houndstooth material available. So I’m between ClassicFX & Exclusive Option… I’ve had Garry’s covers in the past & they’re fantastic! So it’s nice to see some comparisons on this thread. Will need to decide if I’m going through Garry again or give Frank a try. 🤷🏼‍♂️
He had several on sales a month back. He posted on his IG almost daily. Missed out! I'm sure he can make more just matter of if you want to go with JP or not.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:03 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymoO
He had several on sales a month back. He posted on his IG almost daily. Missed out! I'm sure he can make more just matter of if you want to go with JP or not.
JP told me Garry can supply the material & then I can send it to him to produce the covers. Unsure why he can’t get more material.

Last edited by smiles11; 06-12-2023 at 10:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (10-15-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 05:14 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 532 Likes on 308 Posts

Beautiful seats posted here,

We just made an introduction in the 718 GT4 section for our seat covers. We are a small Atelier in Brooklyn, NY crafting seat covers and other Porsche Interior pieces.

We are running a Groupbuy as a thank you for welcoming us onto Rennlist, with more detals in our intro thread

Hope to have us in this comparison next go around

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram

Quick Reply: Bucket Insert Comparison (Justin, P1Design, ClassicFX)