Sponsored by:

Looking for thoughts on exhaust comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 01:57 AM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Looking for thoughts on exhaust comparison

I currently have the Dundon long tube street headers and loud muffler on my Touring. They are glorious. From sound to the power increase, they're every bit as good as advertised. But, the system does have some drone in lower RPM ranges and overall it can be a bit much on longer drives. This is my only car, my daily, and I spend a good portion of the time in the car driving around the city in 1st and 2nd gear or brief highway stints going from here to there. If this were a weekend warrior car, or a track focused car, I wouldn't even consider swapping.

I'm thinking swapping back to the OEM headers will provide a reduction in both drone and volume, tho I'm not sure just how much. I'm looking to avoid adding back the OEM side mufflers, as the weight and heat they bring doesn't outweigh the noise/drone related benefits. I've been looking at various catback combinations and curious if anyone has experience with either the Kline system or this JCR valved titanium superlight race pipe. The Inconel version of the Kline likely solves all my problems with the number of small mufflers it incorporates, but I'm not a fan of their tips and I worry if it will be too quiet, which sounds ridiculous to me even as I type it out. The JCR I know will sound f'n amazing, but I have the opposite concerns, will it even be quieter than what I currently have, seeing as it only has the two tiny mufflers?

Appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or alternative suggestions here!
Old 10-04-2023, 07:42 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

are you using valved side deletes?
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:05 AM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by handdoc
are you using valved side deletes?
Yep! I don't think I'd ever go with a non-valved option.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:48 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

I know the touring is a bit different than my RS, I got so little drone (like a 300RPM range) I just elect for a different gear if I'm stuck there. That being said it's not my daily... which is huge. What I wanted to say to you since you love the torque and sound of your current set up (which is the same as mine) is that when you pull it off, you will notice a huge difference, and likely not in a good way.... I took my Dundon headers and muffler off my .1RS before selling and drove it a little bit before it sold. Night and day difference with the Dundon off the .1RS. The car really lost a lot of character.... When I moved it all to my new-to-me .2RS I added the intake and throttle body and honestly I don't have drone anymore. Maybe consider adding the intake instead of getting rid of what you know works well and no need to touch our ECU's. Just my $.02. I'm guessing Jamie at Dundon may have some advice.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:42 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

One of the quieter alternatives for your 991 GT3T would be to swap the Loud muffler for an OEM muffler. Keeps nearly all of the power, but dials back the sound a lot. Depending on your current system, you may need a set of 2.5" valves to accommodate this change, but the header and cat sections are the same.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions!
Ted@dundonmotorsports.com
Dundon Motorsports
+1.253.200.4454

www.dundonmotorsports.com

Larry Cable (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:49 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

i believe i read on the dundon site that as long as you have valved side deletes, there shouldn't be any drone
Old 10-04-2023, 09:02 PM
inspire
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

i had dundon headers + loud muffler, I will agree that it does have super small drone at low rpm if you are are heavier on the throttle (it didn't bother me, and probably doesn't bother most ppl). But if you want something quieter, I recommend using the OEM muffler.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:14 PM
AirKuhl
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Free fix: Downshift.

Last edited by AirKuhl; 10-04-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:46 AM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
I know the touring is a bit different than my RS, I got so little drone (like a 300RPM range) I just elect for a different gear if I'm stuck there. That being said it's not my daily... which is huge. What I wanted to say to you since you love the torque and sound of your current set up (which is the same as mine) is that when you pull it off, you will notice a huge difference, and likely not in a good way.... I took my Dundon headers and muffler off my .1RS before selling and drove it a little bit before it sold. Night and day difference with the Dundon off the .1RS. The car really lost a lot of character.... When I moved it all to my new-to-me .2RS I added the intake and throttle body and honestly I don't have drone anymore. Maybe consider adding the intake instead of getting rid of what you know works well and no need to touch our ECU's. Just my $.02. I'm guessing Jamie at Dundon may have some advice.
Totally get what you're saying about missing the power bump if I were to swap. I know what I'd be signing up for and I would definitely miss it at first, but I'll adjust. This might be the first time anyone has ever said buy a thing that typically makes your car louder (intake) in order to make it quieter. The "because race car" side of me is like "yeah, yeah, you should totally do that". LOL.

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports
One of the quieter alternatives for your 991 GT3T would be to swap the Loud muffler for an OEM muffler. Keeps nearly all of the power, but dials back the sound a lot. Depending on your current system, you may need a set of 2.5" valves to accommodate this change, but the header and cat sections are the same.
Thanks, Ted! I figured the OEM muffler would go kaboom but good to know it's an option. If I can find a good price on a titanium one I may give that a go. Would definitely need the 2.5" valves to accommodate.

Originally Posted by inspire
i had dundon headers + loud muffler, I will agree that it does have super small drone at low rpm if you are are heavier on the throttle (it didn't bother me, and probably doesn't bother most ppl). But if you want something quieter, I recommend using the OEM muffler.
I think that I just hit that range more often because of the type of driving I do, and when I can be, I'm definitely heavier on the throttle. Good to hear multiple suggestions on just swapping to an OEM center.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:06 AM
markiegt3
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I have Dundon Street Header system into a standard rear muffler.

Bit 'boomy' under load around 2300 - 2800rpm range, but can drop a gear.

No drone cruising though and still sounds fantastic at full chat.

Benn told the steel muffler is fine with the catted Dundon system, not sure about the more prone to cracking, Titanium box.
The following 2 users liked this post by markiegt3:
fractionofawhole (10-05-2023), Larry Cable (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Drive at higher RPM in one lower gear = no drone. You’re welcome
Old 10-05-2023, 02:37 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 715 Posts

Almost positive I have the 2.5” valves if you need them. Can check later this afternoon.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:04 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
Almost positive I have the 2.5” valves if you need them. Can check later this afternoon.
Thanks! Can take those off your hands. DM what you would want for them.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:24 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts

Go with a JCR valved titanium if you want to eliminate the drone.

GT3 991.1 JCR Titanium Silenced Center Bypass Exhaust and Tips - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Which looks like this, it's their most street friendly product and I love it. Absolutely no drone whatsoever in mine.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:32 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

If it interests you, we offer a great sounding, drone free center x-pipe solution that can be fabricated with or without upper resonators. It can be ordered in either 2.5" tubing for a slight tweak or 2.75" tubing to bring out a little more of the epic GT3 sound. Our "X" design does wonders to eliminate drone and create a truly fantastic wail at the mid to high RPM's! Here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of the designs.

Resonated version

Non resonated version

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

fractionofawhole (10-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Looking for thoughts on exhaust comparison