Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which exhaust to get for a 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 01:21 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the sharkwerks CMB and unplugged valves. I characterize it as being 20% more of the factory sound. No drone, just 20% more of what the factory exhaust sounded like. Maybe there’s a little more of that enjoyable off throttle burble around town, too. I don’t recall the factory exhaust having much of that.

I think unplugging the valves actually makes the exhaust more sociable as the very unnatural and sudden switching of the valves calls a lot more attention to the sound. With the valves unplugged your roll into the sound much more naturally and if you want to be stealthy, just keep it under 4500k. If I want to be stealthy in my neighborhood, I’m also not trying to drive quickly.

I can see the case for wanting more of that great sound but for my purposes… 20% more is perfection.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:41 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 140 Posts

Do the Cargraphic option as John suggested above. Then you can run silent when needed or open the valves continually. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:37 PM
head1
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
I have the sharkwerks CMB and unplugged valves. I characterize it as being 20% more of the factory sound. No drone, just 20% more of what the factory exhaust sounded like. Maybe there’s a little more of that enjoyable off throttle burble around town, too. I don’t recall the factory exhaust having much of that.

I think unplugging the valves actually makes the exhaust more sociable as the very unnatural and sudden switching of the valves calls a lot more attention to the sound. With the valves unplugged your roll into the sound much more naturally and if you want to be stealthy, just keep it under 4500k. If I want to be stealthy in my neighborhood, I’m also not trying to drive quickly.

I can see the case for wanting more of that great sound but for my purposes… 20% more is perfection.
Thanks for your reply, I will go with the SW and the Cargraphic valvecontroller!! I don´t want it to be to loud!!
The following users liked this post:
ninefiveone (11-02-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 03:04 PM
nelleven
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same setup and completely agree. Sharkwerks center bypass and disconnected valves is fine so long as you keep the revs low, which shouldn’t be hard in a residential area where you shouldn’t be on it in any case. But the drone-free deletion of the constant open/close of the valves is worth it alone. And of course when you open it up it still sounds very Porsche, which I can’t say for some of the other options. And it’s relatively cheap and been around for a long time. It’s a great solution and a very easy place to start without getting in over your head on cost or complexity.

Last edited by nelleven; 11-01-2023 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Delete - meant to quote prior post
Old 11-01-2023, 03:05 PM
nelleven
AutoX

Originally Posted by ninefiveone

Same setup and completely agree. Sharkwerks center bypass and disconnected valves is fine so long as you keep the revs low, which shouldn’t be hard in a residential area where you shouldn’t be on it in any case. But the drone-free deletion of the constant open/close of the valves is worth it alone. And of course when you open it up it still sounds very Porsche, which I can’t say for some of the other options. And it’s relatively cheap and been around for a long time. It’s a great solution and a very easy place to start without getting in over your head on cost or complexity.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:57 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts

My GT3 came with an exhaust from the factory
The following 3 users liked this post by parkerfe:
BerlinDaniel (12-25-2023), Riptide (12-19-2023), UncleDude (12-19-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 04:34 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by nelleven
Same here and completely agree. Sharkwerks with plugged/disconnected valves is definitely one of the easier ways to go.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:10 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Gonna glom on here. I have a very similar problem but my requirements are slightly different.

1) quiet on startup - I like my neighbors
2) no drone - I like my wife
3) performance - I want more
4) California 😢 - it is what it is and I need to pass them
Old 11-09-2023, 04:15 PM
Tugboat 996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertige
Same here and completely agree. Sharkwerks with plugged/disconnected valves is definitely one of the easier ways to go.

Any chance that plugged/ disconnected valves can negatively impact hp?
Old 11-09-2023, 04:44 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
No, not that I'm aware of.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:56 PM
nelleven
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
Other threads about this - conclusion was no and supported by dyno runs.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:00 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Stealing the thread for a second. Selling my GMG!
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1371962
Old 11-18-2023, 06:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

leave the OEM center and replace the side cans with valved bypass...
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (02-27-2024)
Old 11-18-2023, 06:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
step 1 I tried center bypasses for a few months.

Then step 2 I took the sides out and put the valves side bypasses in with stock center. Liked these better.

Then step 3 I got tired of these for longer date night drives. Put the sides back in some I’m back to stock. Happy with the oem setup.

for maybe a other 12 months then will go back to step 1. Then step 2. Then step 3. Repeat every six months.
this is what I have, drops a ton of weight and heat source from the back of the car ... improves the sound and retains OEM center + tips which you can use turndowns on in Ca to try and
beat track Db limits
Old 11-19-2023, 08:04 PM
Gsl882
Banned

Akrapovic is one of the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gsl882:
Larry Cable (11-19-2023), Lebreeze (11-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Which exhaust to get for a 991.2 GT3 Touring