Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring values based on options...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 12:45 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Touring values based on options...

Long time listener, first time caller in the GT3 section of Rennlist...

I've been hunting on and off for a Touring. Sometime life gets in the way and you get distracted. I've been on the hunt again, almost in a maniacal sort of way recently, not sure why. (Side question, what are the good sites to search for Tourings for sale?)

Now to my original question. How much do certain options affect the price of a car? Hypothetically speaking, if I have 2 identical tourings, same colors, miles, conditions etc, but one has buckets vs. the other one has say 18ways or 4 ways, how is the pricing different? Same question, but say PCCB vs. steel rotors?

Based on the pricing I've seen, it seems that options don't really make a difference. When it does, it's a "high optioned car" vs. "average optioned" or "low optioned" car.

What are the must have options? In my mind, FAL 100%! What about sport chrono? LED vs. xenon? Actually, what was the standard option if you didn't get LED or Xenons? Regular incandescent?
Old 10-23-2023, 01:43 PM
golfinz
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. Options are tough to value because everyone values things/options differently. The big options are leather dash, pccb and lwb. The others are more preferences. If I would put a number on the big options, a car with pccb and lwb is probably worth 10-15k more than one with steels and 18 ways.

My personal must have options, ignoring color: fal, leather dash, bose, and extended tank. I prefer pccb's over steels but the steels are good brakes and would get a car with one. I prefer 18 ways over the lwb, but lwb are cool and would get a car with lwb.

Good luck with your search. I'm also looking for one and they are hard to come by.

Last edited by golfinz; 10-23-2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:32 PM
carb0n
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 15 Posts

With only ~700 tourings in the US, I think it's safe to say a lot of us pulled the trigger on a 8/10 car in terms of options.
As someone who acquired a touring on the secondary market in 2020 here were some of my top considerations and observations.

Least contentious must haves:
1) FAL
2) Extended Fuel Tank

Options that influence price:
1) Seats
  • In 2019/2020 there was a strong notion that all GT3s should have buckets. I've seen this shift and is more 50/50 and notice a good portion of 992 Tourings going for the non-LWB route.
2) Colors
  • PTS commands a substantial premium (more so for crowd favorite greens, blues and grays)
  • There's a PTS Touring registry out there and I recall 70%+ had specced them with buckets. Something to consider if you're trying to chase a PTS non bucket car.
  • Noticed a demand for Chalk/White cars based on threads here for non PTS
3) Leather Dash
  • Touring interiors swap the alcantara for leather and most don't want a rubber dash in a 200K vehicle.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by carb0n; 10-23-2023 at 07:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by carb0n:
mattyf (10-24-2023), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 07:22 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a 2018 Touring and can't imagine it without Sport Buckets and PCCB's. Anyone who says the Sort Buckets aren't comfortable, I'd question how much time they've spent in them. Yes, they're tough to get in and out of, but small price to pay for such great seats. I don't have leather dash and actually like the "rubber" dash. I was going after a lite weight, no frills car, so it fit's my theme. I think Bose is a waist of money. I don't have it, and have listened to cars with it and can hardly hear the difference. The engine makes the real music! And I feel the FAL is an absolute must! Just about to hit 23k on my car, so have some time behind the wheel.

Last edited by Chris88; 10-23-2023 at 07:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris88:
911Vintage (10-25-2023), chance (10-25-2023), Larry Cable (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 08:20 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Pick the options that you want. In general options that seem to increase desirabilty and hence price seem to be PTS (rare only ~155), CXX interior (very rare), LWBS, PCCBs, FAL. I had the good fortune to spec my own touring and regretted optioning the iron brakes and made few other little choices that annnoyed me. Eventually traded it for another touring with PCCBs. You will get varying opinions, in the end buy what you like, don’t skimp on options you may come to regret it later on like me. Also everyone has their own must have options some of which are very personal, for me I would not ever consider a 991.2 touring with the LED headlights because I find they ruin the otherwise classic appearance of the front end while others would say the exact opposite.

Last edited by GT325; 10-23-2023 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:20 AM
homesauce
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 57 Posts

The 991.2 touring seems to be very high in demand.

For me it’s the 991 car to own outside of the 991R because it is a combination of beautiful (just look at our touring picture thread they all look incredible compared to the 992 fish mouth), all manual trans, insane power train 9krpm, flies under the radar to everyone but a Porsche enthusiasts who go nuts when they see it, and has all the modern comforts that allow you to truly daily drive the car and enjoy each mile. Never punishing in ride quality but wakes up when pushed harder.

I also noticed that outside of PTS, the must have options are PCCB, buckets and FAL. It’s hard to find a well optioned touring without some compromise given the limited numbers produced.

Regarding pricing I think they are held in check by comparable winged 991.2 cars. But when the right car color and options come up they seem to sell so quickly which hints that they are selling a bit lower than they should be. Only time will tell how this comment ages but I think well optioned cars should be $250k cars given what people are paying for the 992’s and PDK RS cars. I just don’t see PDK cars aging as well as a well optioned manual touring.

I had for the longest time considered my touring as a forever car. Just look at this thing…

The following 4 users liked this post by homesauce:
Blrmkr (10-25-2023), carb0n (10-24-2023), golfinz (10-24-2023), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 01:12 AM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

FAL, sport buckets, PCCB's, leather dash. One could argue that also being highly optioned is preferred on a touring, although, anecdotally, it does seem like more touring's were higher builds on average than the regular winged versions.
Larry Cable (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 03:44 AM
yoda888
Racer

What's interesting to me now is that if I had an opportunity in 2018-2019 to get a brand new Touring build, I wouldn't have built it back then to what I'd desire now. As an example I would not have considered PTS or PCCB back then. Now I'm looking for a Touring with PCCB. PTS would be great as well, but this one is a bit more difficult. I'd buy it if it was a color I like, not because it's unique. The worst part would be a manual would 101% turn me off back then as I would be so annoyed driving it in traffic to/from work. Now, I want a manual (again) because my commute isn't bad at all! And I think it helps since I don't really have an itch to track anymore. Plus I do honestly miss rowing through the gears.

As for buckets, I'm not attached to them either way. For me the big thing about the buckets is the PIA effort to get in and out of the car. Comfort-wise once I'm in, not an issue. It's the getting in and out that would grow old quickly for me.

Another interesting thing are the headlights. I was wondering why folks opted for the bi-xenon vs. the LEDs. After reading some of the threads, I realize it's because of the look of the headlights. I had never even considered that.

The 2 items there absolute deal breakers for me is the car must have FAL, no crazy colors, and no black. Black is a great color, but man it's so hard to take care of and keep clean. No crazy colors as I like to be subtle, else I'd just get a winged GT3.

The hunt continues...
Old 10-24-2023, 03:49 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think carb0n hit it with his analysis in what drives prices but I wouldn’t get too hung up on options.

My 2 cents

FAL is nice, but you can live without it. You might have to replace your front lip every so often, but knowing how to cut a driveway goes a long way.

Extended range, also nice, but without it you just fill up more often.

Buckets command a premium, but for a touring I like the 18 ways. I’m 6’3” and don’t fit great in buckets for long trips and there’s no way I can get in and out without feeling like a goofball. 18 ways are also better for date night. I kinda feel like I need 2 GT3, one with PDK, a wing and buckets and the Touring with 18-ways.

I like PCCB, especially for a Touring, but again I could live without. The real benefit is not having to wash your wheels. People claim they’re expensive to replace and they are, but you don’t have to replace with carbon and there are cheaper CCB options now.

The leather dash should have come standard. There’s probably a way to get a leather dash from a wrecked car later, but that’s such a hassle.

I like having Bose, but really the car is pretty damn noisy so it doesn’t really matter much.

Sport chrono is an ugly dash wart. But I like stupid stuff like painted gauges, illuminated sills, carbon interior, fire extinguisher and painted skirts, but I don’t think these drive the price much.

Really I think cars are ~30k over MSRP, plus a tad more for buckets, or special color or low miles.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:55 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

And I’m with you on black, but then I wound up with a car that had all the options I wanted and CPO, so black it is. I did paint correction and PPF’d the whole thing. I don’t let it get honda civic dirty, but it doesn’t really bother me that much if it’s a little dusty.
Old 10-24-2023, 07:04 AM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 484 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
And I’m with you on black, but then I wound up with a car that had all the options I wanted and CPO, so black it is. I did paint correction and PPF’d the whole thing. I don’t let it get honda civic dirty, but it doesn’t really bother me that much if it’s a little dusty.
I have a Jet Black Metallic Touring and I absolutely love the color. I know color is subjective. People have always complained that it’s hard to keep clean but I don’t see that as a problem. My ‘88 Carrera is also Black and I’ve had it since new and it looks amazing. My car is pretty well optioned with FAL, PCCB’s, buckets.leather, stitching, LED,s, extended tank, chrono, fire extinguisher, and a few more options. I prefer it to a car without these features. As time goes by there will be less choices because eventually they will end up with someone who is going to keep it for the long term.
Bottom line is the are great cars, somewhat limited and desirable to those that know. Good luck to all of you who are looking for one.
​​​​​​.
mattyf (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 01:03 PM
Wudee
Advanced

I specced my Touring mildly and as follows:

carrera white - classic white as a GT colour but with a nice modern twist being sharper / more blue
chrome pack - wanted the retro classic look and it highlights the raindrop shape of a 911 best imo
FAL - absolute must have in my country with speed bumbs everywhere
buckets - part of a GT car in my view and must have according to Andreas in a recent interview on the 992 S/T. Long time doubted if i go for folding buckets i/o carbon but lack of height adjustability made me go for carbon and not folding, Although i find folding buckets with their leather more classic and suiting to what i wanted as a look for my car. One thing i am sometime regretting
no PCCB, i don't track and wanted red calibers with the white bodywork. Also replacement cost of PCCB is ridiculous. They do certainly obtain a premium on the 2nd hand market now.
no Bose, i think Bose is poor quality and the noisy cabin ruins it even more]
sport chrono as the SA pushed me, wanted to go without to get clean dash. Regret it slightly
leather dash, to me must have as it really gives more quality luxury experience
Standard colour wheels which no one seemed to do, but now really is appreciated by many and again more classic. I really dislike black wheel etc. You don't grasp the size of the wheel as much

that is it really. no red stichting as i think it looks tacky and cheap

GL with your search. I been on the verg 2x of selling as i drive 500mls per year in the Touring but then when I look at it, use it I realise how special it is and you cannot find a replacement offering same analog / performance feel I believe

edit: went for standard bi-xenon as again more classic and no weight penalty
also have 90L tank and painted side skirts that make the car look lower to the ground

Last edited by Wudee; 10-24-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:16 PM
TheDangerZone
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll be the outlier here and say PCCB vs Iron brakes were not important to me, and I do track my car. I'm not a professional driver and maybe not experienced enough to tell the difference. The iron brakes certainly did not demonstrate (to me anyway) any fade after 8 sessions over two days. The brake dust is not really an issue for me either, the car gets cleaned once a month regardless.

No shade towards the PCCBs, I would gladly take a car with them if the other options were right but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

My must have's were LWBs, FAL and extended range fuel tank.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:53 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,396 Likes on 669 Posts

Options in order of importance for me:

Color (this is the single most important option when choosing a touring)
PCCB's
FAL
Buckets
​​​​​​​PDLS
Extended Leather
Quite interior (no colors)
Illuminated Sill Plates
Painted Side Skirts
Extended Fuel Tank (but everyone gets this anyway)

The 991.2 touring IMO is the best Porsche ever made. It can lap a track, get groceries, BLEND IN with the other cars, take your wife to the Opera in style etc.

There isn't nothing it cannot do well.

Buy one and become a member of the NO **** club

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 10-24-2023 at 03:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 168glhs1986:
homesauce (10-24-2023), Lebreeze (10-25-2023), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-24-2023), TheDangerZone (10-24-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 01:45 AM
Paddington17
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was fortunate to recently buy a 991.2 touring and found it to be an exercise in compromise. I ended up with a fairly limited option car after swearing to myself that I would wait for the "perfect spec". The reality is that there aren't many out there and if you find a good example just go for it! Many of the options can be changed so don't think you are stuck if there are some that aren't perfect for you. My thoughts on options after owning the car:

FAL: my car doesn't have it and honestly it hasn't been an issue nor has it scraped any more than my previous GT4 or Carreras. Unless you have a driveway that you can't get up without it, FAL is probably not as big of a deal breaker as some make it out to be. Also one less thing to fail in the long run.
Headlights: my car has the xenon lights and they are fine. I think they look better than the LEDs but the LEDs with PDLS are more functional.
Brakes: got the irons wanted the PCCBs, pros and cons to both. may end up doing something about this in the future but its a costly change
Radio: either factory system sucks, this should not be a deal braker. Musicar in Portland has excellent options that work off either factory system. I got their stage III and it sounds excellent and will drown out the car/road noise and still sound good which can't be said for the factory system.
Seats: I think buckets are they way to go here and add to the GT car vibe but seats can be changed afterwards especially if you want standard sport seats
Leather Dash: this was the only thing I wasn't going to compromise on. I have no idea why they even offered a plastic dash in a touring. I've tried to live with plastic dash Porsches and every time it hasn't worked out. Its a lot of work and money to go from plastic to leather if that is important to you.

Regardless of the options they all come with a glorious high revving 4.0 flat 6 and manual transmission and will drive the same. Happy Hunting!
The following 2 users liked this post by Paddington17:
carb0n (10-25-2023), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Touring values based on options...