Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 12:31 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 606 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein11RS
Why doesn't someone make a track-focused rotor and pad for the PCCB (yellow) calipers? It's not like the calipers work differently?!
We do make exactly that...below are links to our AP Racing by Essex J Hook Discs in the OEM PCCB sizes that mate to the stock yellow calipers. For pads, Ferodo DS3.12 at both ends of the car is ideal. Best of all, these items are all on sale right now.

Front 2-piece AP J Hook Discs in PCCB size= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...1gt3PCCB-front
Rear 2-piece AP J Hook Discs in PCCB size= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...pccb-rear39032
Front Ferodo DS3.12 pads= https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-fc...312-brake-pads
Rear Ferodo DS3.12 pads= https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-fc...312-brake-pads
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following users liked this post:
Nein11RS (11-10-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 12:38 PM
Nein11RS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

@JRitt@essex this may be the better way to go for me for sure. Thanks for the info!
JRitt@essex (11-10-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 02:06 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@JRitt@essex this may be the better way to go for me for sure. Thanks for the info!
Of course! Feel free to reach out to me directly via PM or jeff.ritter@essexparts.com if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2023, 02:42 PM
Nein11RS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone else taking this approach with the PCCB calipers and Essex rotors?
Old 11-10-2023, 02:58 PM
jonnkycvrd
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Any tips for popping out the rear inner pads while on jack stands?

The fronts are super easy to grab with channelocks(and turning the wheel) on the pad backing plate but i find the rears pretty tricky without actually getting the car on a lift.

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Brake squeal is primarily a function of two things...1) pad compound choice and 2) if the pads/discs are bedded-in or not. One of the great things about our system, and Ferodo pads in particular, is that you can run a milder pad like Ferodo DS2500 on the street and an aggressive race pad on the track like the DS3.12. Since our calipers make it so easy to change pads, making that swap is a piece of cake. That said, nobody enjoys changing pads, and many of our customers just leave the DS3.12 in the calipers all the time. The downside to running DS3.12 on the street is that the cold bite isn't quite as great as the DS2500, and when you run the DS3.12 cold they'll wear your discs faster than a milder pad (which is true of any racing pad). Here's an article that closely examines the three primary Ferodo pad compounds: Which Ferodo Racing Pad Compound is Right for Me?

Regarding the pads and disc contact...As you're driving the suspension is constantly compressing, the disc is moving around laterally, and the pads are being pushed slightly away from the disc. Think of the seals in the caliper as a spring or hinge attached to the side of the piston, rather than just a ring through which the piston slides. In an AP Racing competition caliper, the groove in which the seal resides isn't a square cut groove.It has angles. When the pistons slide in or out there is friction between the outer piston wall and the seal, and the seal distorts a bit as shown in the illustration below. A caliper piston sliding out to the left would distort the seal in this manner (the slashes are the seals on either side of the piston):/
---
---
\

As the piston slides back in to the right, the seal does this:
\
---
---
/

There is a certain amount of tension or friction that needs to be overcome before the piston actually starts moving through the seal ring. That tension/friction keeps the piston from dragging on the disc once the pistons are pushed back into the bores by the disc/suspension movement.
Thanks again for your continued support gents!
Old 11-10-2023, 03:12 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's a very common solution for those who don't want to make the full investment in a complete brake kit. While the discs mated to OEM calipers don't offer the weight savings and easy pad swaps of the complete AP Racing Radi-CAL kit, they are incredibly durable due to their size! With some Ferodo DS3.12, you would never fade them. A few visual examples below:

Old 11-10-2023, 03:45 PM
radr
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All the players in the brake game have this conversion available. GiroDisc, PFC, etc. Go with whatever is priced best or tickles your fancy, the PCCB to iron conversion has been a common option going back to 996/997 days. Not exactly rocket science.
Nein11RS (11-13-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 04:10 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
There are layers of ride height, alignment, and sway bar adjustments to work with before deciding the stock suspension components won't do.
Would also suggest you're not guaranteed better performance with aftermarket dampers. This isn't like swapping stock AMG or M suspension for KW, Ohlins, etc. RS dampers are legit. You'd have to work on it (tune), and know what you're doing with 2 or 3 way adjustments to match or exceed stock damper performance on a given track.
Good point - most of these aftermarket solutions are traditional, non-electronic shocks. I'd argue that PASM is an inherently more versatile technology, meaning easier to set up and able to perform well in a wide variety of scenarios as they can react based on steering angle, G-forces, vehicle speed, etc. In addition, GT car shocks are quite good quality, it's not like they are junk because Porsche was trying to build a cheap car! Thus I wouldn't expect an aftermarket traditional shock to be better in every way. Instead, they can be tuned (if you know what you are doing) to optimize for a particular scenario. This is certainly what race teams are looking for, but may not be what many DE participants want to sign up for.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:16 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 824 Likes on 458 Posts

Girodisc for me, Essex option also excellent.

Old 11-10-2023, 04:33 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul in San Jose
Good point - most of these aftermarket solutions are traditional, non-electronic shocks. I'd argue that PASM is an inherently more versatile technology, meaning easier to set up and able to perform well in a wide variety of scenarios as they can react based on steering angle, G-forces, vehicle speed, etc. In addition, GT car shocks are quite good quality, it's not like they are junk because Porsche was trying to build a cheap car! Thus I wouldn't expect an aftermarket traditional shock to be better in every way. Instead, they can be tuned (if you know what you are doing) to optimize for a particular scenario. This is certainly what race teams are looking for, but may not be what many DE participants want to sign up for.
Right, the overall systems integration of an RS is not something to be "binned" piecemeal unless you have a plan, really know what you're doing, or have engineers on hand who do.

Run 3 way coilovers on another car, never once occurred to me that I should do the same on RS.

One of the primary advantages of aftermarket dampers on most platforms is the gain of height adjustability, a drop of 2" + new aggressive alignment specs feels like night & day on an M or AMG. Years ago I put coilovers on an M car and gained like 3 seconds on a 2 minute lap in session 1.

GT3/RS already have all of that built in. So, what's left is the combination of assumed superior aftermarket damper tech and your own track specific damper tuning ability. You're betting that combination will be better than what the GT damper department did, with feedback from Bergmeister and Estre running sub 7 minute laps daily.

And so, I run stock suspension on the GT3/RS. The cars' limitation is tires 99/100x, you're hitting that limit long before being let down by the dampers.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:49 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul in San Jose
Great questions and great observations. I will respond since I was an early adopter to an aftermarket suspension and I have been a long time person who felt these aftermarket shock companies offered more of what people want out of these cars from street driving to DE track day junkies. Since 2006 I have owned ever generation of GT3 or GT3RS offered in North America. In each generation the suspension Porsche supplied with the cars has become better and better. In the beginning the 996 was purely a "mechanical" shock with not other adjustments other than ride height. The 997 Chassis was the first with a PASM system installed and the 991 continued that journey. Each of those became better and better but there was always something lacking. Each time I installed an adjustable aftermarket racing suspension on the car with stiffer spring rates than stock rates the cars all transformed into much better cars. They rode better on the street. They performed better on the racetrack. Getting a good baseline setup from the companies selling them of what they felt would work is important and with those settings most of the time I wouldn't change them driving from the track to the house or out on date night with wife. The ride was always better on the street even with these stiffer spring and stiffer settings on the street.

Yes the PASM eletronically adjustable shocks can work and be more efficient in tuning by theory but it is not user friendly and there are very few companies who make it easier for you the end user to make the adjustments. As for the quality of the stock shocks, they are not quality. They have technology in them but they are actually cheaply made. My 991.2 GT3 RS shocks were weeping from the seals of the shock with less than 1500 miles on them. You can see a coating of shock fluid on the bodies of the shocks. This was with street driving only. I was not very impressed with their quality especially for the cost of the replacement shock from Porsche. At $2k per shock for replacement I would rather spend that money on a quality aftermarket shock. My MCS shocks are 4 years old now with no issues in the seals leaking, weeping, or anything else. Everyone who drives my car has said it is one of the better handling 991.2 GT3RS they have driven.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:01 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Yes the PASM eletronically adjustable shocks can work and be more efficient in tuning by theory but it is not user friendly and there are very few companies who make it easier for you the end user to make the adjustments. As for the quality of the stock shocks, they are not quality. They have technology in them but they are actually cheaply made. My 991.2 GT3 RS shocks were weeping from the seals of the shock with less than 1500 miles on them. You can see a coating of shock fluid on the bodies of the shocks. This was with street driving only. I was not very impressed with their quality especially for the cost of the replacement shock from Porsche. At $2k per shock for replacement I would rather spend that money on a quality aftermarket shock. My MCS shocks are 4 years old now with no issues in the seals leaking, weeping, or anything else. Everyone who drives my car has said it is one of the better handling 991.2 GT3RS they have driven.
Respectfully, counterpoint to them being low quality. Few dampers can take the beating I've put on my stock 991.2 GT suspensions without issues, the need for rebuild after thousands of track miles at a minimum. Dozens of heavily tracked GT cars down here, nearly all with stock, original suspension components performing excellently.

But if you do have a bum shock, at a replacement cost of $2k per, I do agree it's worth considering aftermarket replacement and potential improvement.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:53 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Respectfully, counterpoint to them being low quality. Few dampers can take the beating I've put on my stock 991.2 GT suspensions without issues, the need for rebuild after thousands of track miles at a minimum. Dozens of heavily tracked GT cars down here, nearly all with stock, original suspension components performing excellently.

But if you do have a bum shock, at a replacement cost of $2k per, I do agree it's worth considering aftermarket replacement and potential improvement.
Try a set first before you think the stock shocks are all that especially on track. Your argument will change.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:17 AM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Try a set first before you think the stock shocks are all that especially on track. Your argument will change.
Alright... have run 2 & 3 way aftermarket. Rebuilds, leaking, seizing compression & rebound dials. Been there, done that. Was speaking to my experience of firsthand GT3/RS damper durability relative to your experience.

Wasn't arguing that no top tier aftermarket dampers, with optimized track specific setup, could exceed performance of stock. Are most GT3/RS guys on Cup 2 or SMR2 going to exploit that performance advantage vs. an optimized stock setup? Very doubtful, but spend away. Cheers.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:53 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OG Shark
I just started tracking a 991.2 GT3 RS so right there with you getting up to speed with these cars. I can tell you that a proper alignment made a world of difference. My first time out was on the stock settings with Hoosier R7s. The next time out went with a much more track oriented alignment and made a huge difference. Ran -3.2 with a bit of toe out at the front and -2.6 with a bit of toe in at the rear and it was like a whole different car. I was also on Pirelli slicks last time which definitely helped too. The car actually wanted to turn in now. We swapped the top mounts to get that camber and keep the caster happy but since have swapped in the full compliment of E-Motion arms as I prefer to get the desired alignment in that manner and have the option to knock the camber back down below -3 in the front on the street. Would recommend a better alignment to start for sure after seeing how well my car responded to the change. Depending on what wheels you are running there are some quicker tires out there as well. Not the biggest fan of Hoosiers but they will be quicker than the 2Rs or Trofeos. Good fitments out there in 19s for a good track setup. Forgeline makes a popular setup. I prefer Signature Wheel as they make an excellent track wheel (been beating the crap out of their wheels racing the last few years). Also swapped out the brakes - full AP Racing kits from Essex.

If you get into replacing the suspension there will be another option soon. Have a test kit on the way from Nitron - their elec-TRON version of their R3 kit on the way that we will test extensively until we have it dialed in exactly like we want it. They already have a traditional 3way kit available but the addition of the electronic component ought to step it up a notch but we will see how that goes once we have it. Very excited to get my hands on these and will do a lot of before/after comparisons with them. Also just added a Verus Engineering full aero kit and looking forward to running it out at COTA next week. When we have the suspension nothing else will change though until we finish getting it dialed in.

Really though a proper alignment was a big first step.
What size pirelli DH slicks in 19 were you using? Did you have to turn off TC/ESC?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 991.x GT3 RS best mods for track