Sponsored by:

Give me your 2 cents on this move ... GT3 to F12

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 12:10 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Give me your 2 cents on this move ... GT3 to F12

Ok, I will try not to be too long-winded here in providing a picture of my current situation: Long-term loyal P-Car enthusiast here. Currently have 5 P-cars in the garage (356, 3.2, Cayenne, new Panamera 4S, 991.1 GT3). Our approach has been to have one modern performance P-car, GT3 occupies that position now. So why the post? Well we are considering moving the GT3 along and moving into a Ferrari F12.
I want to hear the thoughts of anyone who has done the same or considered doing the same... any regrets, suggestions, etc.?
What has your dealership/service experience been like compared to Porsche?
Old 11-10-2023, 12:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,869 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Had 991.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS and have driven both an F12 and 812. Actually considered a TdF at one point.

F12 is awesome.

Do it and don't look back.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
911Vintage (12-14-2023), C.J. Ichiban (11-15-2023), JAhmed (11-12-2023), vodavoda (11-10-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:48 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm a loyal P-car guy but I second the F12... it's a screaming NA V12 Ferrari. Every car guy ought to own one at least once. Do it, and make sure you get it an exhaust it deserves.
The following 4 users liked this post by Xec:
911Vintage (12-14-2023), C.J. Ichiban (11-15-2023), JAhmed (11-12-2023), vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 04:33 AM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

An F car should be mid engined. my .02
The following 2 users liked this post by marcus1982:
Mthrice (11-24-2023), vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 04:35 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Higher level car experience. I would do it as fast as you can.
The following 2 users liked this post by abiazis:
JAhmed (11-12-2023), vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 06:07 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 2,052 Posts

I'd do it. If it was a 991.2 GT3 manual, I'd have a harder time doing it as I really like a manual in my weekend car. But PDK 991.1 GT3 for an F12, I'd do it.

You ask about servicing. This comes down to your particular area. My friend has owned two Ferraris now. Closest dealer is two hours away. We have one shop within 35-45 mins of us and another that is as far as the dealer (two hours away). The shop closest to us is not in a great area and has some drawbacks which has had my friend turn to the shop that is two hours away. Is it inconvenient having to transport or drive your car two hours for service? Yes. Has he tried to make the best of it by grabbing a nice lunch or dinner in the city etc? Yes. This is also, typically, a once per year deal. You're not servicing multiple times per year. He and I agree that dropping your car off at one of the many local Porsche dealers is the easiest solution though and one of the reasons why people tend to like Porsche so much.

Now, do I think that the reliability is vastly different between Porsche and Ferrari for our use case? No. We each drive about 2k miles/yr. If you stay on top of servicing, there isn't much that will go wrong. In the case of his experience, the car has never left him stranded, including out of state road trips.

Do I think cost is different between Porsche and Ferrari in terms of servicing? Depends where you go. I use the dealer or two independent shops. He uses the independent shop only. His bills are pretty close, surprisingly to what the one local independent Porsche mechanic is, maybe slightly higher. My dealer invoices are typically slightly more expensive though than what he pays at the independent. But again, this really comes down to your shop. I've seen some shops have a lower hourly rate but bill more hours.

I will note that Porsche vs Ferrari build quality is different. Ferrari's frequently have sticky interior surfaces and warping leather dashes. 997's have sticky buttons on certain surfaces, but not as widespread. It's also less common that dashes will start to peel, but it does happen.

Best of luck with your decision!
The following users liked this post:
vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 11:27 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 244 Posts

I would. Like others have said, 991.1 GT3 to F12, yes! 991.2 GT3 with manual, no. I have the latter and no interest in getting rid of it, but 2 years ago I was debating between a F12 or ordering a new Huracan AWD Spyder as an additional car. Perfect spec showed up as local collector was selling a few cars including his Bianco Italia over Cuoio F12. Went to see it with the wife and it wouldn't start (dead battery) then trunk wouldn't open after it was started. Wife declared it (and all F12's) lemons, and that was that. Ordered the EVO Spyder, and converted that to Sterrato once it was officially announced, and very happy where I ended up, but will always have a soft spot for the F12. Best looking F V12 since the 330, legendary sound, Jekyll/Hyde personality, refined interior with no screens.... what's not to love. The recent rumors of the 812SF replacement possibly having manual...oh my!
vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 11:41 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I'd do it. If it was a 991.2 GT3 manual, I'd have a harder time doing it as I really like a manual in my weekend car. But PDK 991.1 GT3 for an F12, I'd do it.
+1

In your shoes I wouldn't sell my .2 manual GT3T but a .1 PDK is not the same for me and I have a hard time arguing against the F12.

That said, while I haven't owned an F12, my dad had one and I drove it a bunch, it's a very unique and cool car but not as well rounded as a GT3. It's basically one of the top engines in the world wrapped by a beautiful body with borderline muscle car dynamics. Not saying it doesn't handle well but it can be a handful keeping the rear end in line with all that power and it doesn't have that sharpness and control harmony that Porsche has really perfected with the GT3. To me it's an itch worth scratching but be prepared for an experience with more spiky highs and lows compared to the overall, consistent competence of the GT3.

I too am a Porsche guy first (currently with three 911 variants and a Cayenne) and decided to scratch the Ferrari itch with an F355. I love the experience in contrast to the Porsches but it is not a real substitute - almost like a necessary contrast to round out my garage. But obviously an F355 is a totally different category and era vs an F12. I just have no interest in automatics so modern Ferraris are not for me but if you are OK with DCTs, the F12 is worth experiencing IMO.

Last edited by RudyP; 11-11-2023 at 11:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RudyP:
JAhmed (11-12-2023), Riptide (11-22-2023), vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:30 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A 10 year old perspective on the question you are asking, your roads and your opinions about the 991.1 GT3 seen through the 20/20 lens of hindsight may vary:

IMO, you have several Porsche flavors in your stable already, so you can feel confident about swapping one out for a different flavor, like a front engined V12. If you miss your GT3, you can probably sell the F12 and find another one. If you miss having a manual high RPM sports car, you can go from the F12 to a 991.2 or 992 GT3. If you find that your life was incomplete without that V12 wail, then you'll be glad you started this journey.
The following 3 users liked this post by LFB:
AlexCeres (12-14-2023), JAhmed (11-12-2023), vodavoda (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 04:49 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

I can't offer the comparison perspective as others above have.. That being said, I hope if you do it, you actually drive it like you would your GT3. Guys around me in Atlanta with F-cars park 'em at cars & coffee. I'm up in the Smokies all the time and almost NEVER see them up there with some of the best roads in NA. Honestly have only seen a handful of them - ever! In comparison the Porsche guys are up there in droves driving them like they were meant to be driven every weekend. Have to admit that video of the F12 makes me want one up there!! Good luck.
911-140.6 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 05:40 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 2,052 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
I can't offer the comparison perspective as others above have.. That being said, I hope if you do it, you actually drive it like you would your GT3. Guys around me in Atlanta with F-cars park 'em at cars & coffee. I'm up in the Smokies all the time and almost NEVER see them up there with some of the best roads in NA. Honestly have only seen a handful of them - ever! In comparison the Porsche guys are up there in droves driving them like they were meant to be driven every weekend. Have to admit that video of the F12 makes me want one up there!! Good luck.
Definitely depends on the location and your local club. The local Ferrari club here does considerably more driving than the local Porsche club. Now, to your point, I never see a Ferrari on the road here on a random Saturday morning drive. Porsche, not common but certainly more. Typically it's Corvette. I'm talking about Ohio.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:00 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,569 Likes on 723 Posts

I did a write up on one of the forums. I had an F12 for 4 years, ended up selling it a few months after I got the McLaren 720s. (Also have the 991 GT3 Touring, and my Daily Driver is the 992 Targa).

I have had several F-cars over the years and was on the list anytime a new one came out (still trying to get on the "list" for porsche even though I have had nearly 10 in the past 15 years)...

I really think the F12 is one of the best looking Ferrari's since the 1960's, just great shape and that V12 (everyone should own a V12 Ferrari). Much more a grand touring car compared to the GT3. Ridiculous power. I almost liken it to a 1970's muscle car in regards to power delivery, just a little to much right pedal - and the back end will all of a sudden be the front end. When not pushing it, just a tame kitten. I let a number of my experienced friends drive my cars, the F12 was one, that I gave a ton of caution to when I did. Probably top 5 most dangerous if not careful cars I have driven. You just have to be really cognizant of the back end and how the car delivers power. PS. I was going to move into the 812 SF, which has more power, but the delivery was much much more controlled. I decided to go the the 720 instead, but the 812 corrected many of the power delivery / stability issues. However I think the F12 was much better looking and more historical shape, etc. (PS. I owned a few 1960s F-cars, and have a soft spot for the shape, and coachwork for that generation.

The very different experience between Ferrari and Porsche is the cost of ownership. Anyone moving to F or L cars, need to understand with that exclusivity (production numbers being small) is cost of repair. Out of warranty is eye watering. I had a few Big issues outside of warranty for my last several F-cars (and ultimately why I ended up moving from F-cars). My 458 and F12 had more issues during warranty and after than any of the 6-7 before that. I had a radio go out of the F12, needed replaced just 2 months after warranty. Radio would not tune in - was 10K to replace the head unit, which is also part of the overall nav, and other controls unit. Had several other smaller issues after warranty (that coincidently was found just after my last warranty service, all were 2K each or more to rectify. Just be prepared to spend nearly double what you would on a porsche and you will be fine. Even if you go with the equivalent of CPO that is around 7K per year for the v12. Over the years, I used to say for Ferrari or Lambo - after warranty - I would advise people to set aside 5K per year for maintenance / repair. With the more modern and computer driven (which make porsche look advanced as ferrari is not advanced) - it seems to be creeping up in cost for the last 2-3 I have owned. I would say the extended warranty is worth it, as I do believe the 7K a year price for extended is right on what the cost per year is. And if something big happens, you will be covered.

While I have always had a 911 in my garage, having F and L cars in the past have been fun. I got a little tired of the positioning of Ferrari, and some of the customer service. If you have a good dealer near you that will help as well. Build a relationship with them, or find a independent that works on modern F-cars - that will also help you save.

So I would not tell you don't do it - just have your eyes open to what to expect.

Here is a pic of my F12...

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 11-13-2023 at 11:06 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
911-140.6 (11-16-2023), 991C2S88 (11-21-2023), AlexCeres (12-14-2023), Drifting (12-12-2023), PMAA (12-12-2023), Riptide (11-22-2023), vodavoda (11-13-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-13-2023, 11:47 AM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice writeup, but if everyone would own a V12 Ferrari then it wouldn't be so special anymore and some could not brag about this )).
Nice to see other brand talks are allowed on rennlist. On some other forums(not Porsche) this would mean a few weeks of ban, LOL.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,869 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I did a write up on one of the forums. I had an F12 for 4 years, ended up selling it a few months after I got the McLaren 720s. (Also have the 991 GT3 Touring, and my Daily Driver is the 992 Targa).

I have had several F-cars over the years and was on the list anytime a new one came out (still trying to get on the "list" for porsche even though I have had nearly 10 in the past 15 years)...

I really think the F12 is one of the best looking Ferrari's since the 1960's, just great shape and that V12 (everyone should own a V12 Ferrari). Much more a grand touring car compared to the GT3. Ridiculous power. I almost liken it to a 1970's muscle car in regards to power delivery, just a little to much right pedal - and the back end will all of a sudden be the front end. When not pushing it, just a tame kitten. I let a number of my experienced friends drive my cars, the F12 was one, that I gave a ton of caution to when I did. Probably top 5 most dangerous if not careful cars I have driven. You just have to be really cognizant of the back end and how the car delivers power. PS. I was going to move into the 812 SF, which has more power, but the delivery was much much more controlled. I decided to go the the 720 instead, but the 812 corrected many of the power delivery / stability issues. However I think the F12 was much better looking and more historical shape, etc. (PS. I owned a few 1960s F-cars, and have a soft spot for the shape, and coachwork for that generation.

The very different experience between Ferrari and Porsche is the cost of ownership. Anyone moving to F or L cars, need to understand with that exclusivity (production numbers being small) is cost of repair. Out of warranty is eye watering. I had a few Big issues outside of warranty for my last several F-cars (and ultimately why I ended up moving from F-cars). My 458 and F12 had more issues during warranty and after than any of the 6-7 before that. I had a radio go out of the F12, needed replaced just 2 months after warranty. Radio would not tune in - was 10K to replace the head unit, which is also part of the overall nav, and other controls unit. Had several other smaller issues after warranty (that coincidently was found just after my last warranty service, all were 2K each or more to rectify. Just be prepared to spend nearly double what you would on a porsche and you will be fine. Even if you go with the equivalent of CPO that is around 7K per year for the v12. Over the years, I used to say for Ferrari or Lambo - after warranty - I would advise people to set aside 5K per year for maintenance / repair. With the more modern and computer driven (which make porsche look advanced as ferrari is not advanced) - it seems to be creeping up in cost for the last 2-3 I have owned. I would say the extended warranty is worth it, as I do believe the 7K a year price for extended is right on what the cost per year is. And if something big happens, you will be covered.

While I have always had a 911 in my garage, having F and L cars in the past have been fun. I got a little tired of the positioning of Ferrari, and some of the customer service. If you have a good dealer near you that will help as well. Build a relationship with them, or find a independent that works on modern F-cars - that will also help you save.

So I would not tell you don't do it - just have your eyes open to what to expect.

Here is a pic of my F12...
Sage advice.

But not just for Ferrari, but Porsche as well.

In fact, I wouldn't own any Ferrari or Porsche OOW
Old 11-13-2023, 02:55 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 415 Likes on 301 Posts

The F12 is more of a GT car, so I wouldn't look at it as a vertical move from a GT3, and more both vertical and horizontal. The mid engine Ferrari cars offer great comfort and the performance of an RS. But if you're looking for a completely different experience, then I'd suggest the F12, and like all Ferrari's once they hit their low, typically 2 generations removed, you can't loose on them.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Quick Reply: Give me your 2 cents on this move ... GT3 to F12