Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 RS - oil overfill

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 04:00 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.1 GT3 RS - oil overfill

Hard to demand excellence from the people servicing your car when you see this after getting a complete service from them.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:01 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Looks like it is safe to drive but how do I fix this?
Old 01-25-2024, 04:11 PM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Which Austin dealer?
Old 01-25-2024, 07:51 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 69 Posts

take it to the dealer. You can loosen the oil filter or the drain plug screw and let it drip but its hard to control and slow and unpredictable (I have done this and don't want to ever again - purchased graduated reservoirs to drain oil into so I can replace exactly the amount I drain, anyway . . .) Then you have to let the car idle on a flat surface and see if you drained the right amount. Repeat 1,2, . . . 6 times.

If you paid the dealer for the job let them fix it. Sometimes it will self-correct. If it was at the correct level when you left the dealer it should be fine in spite of the warning. If the car has been sitting there could be a little condensation in the oil which will cause this condition and it can improve when the oil stays at temp for awhile.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:20 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

It was a dealer in California - going to drop it off to the Austin dealer on Research to get it fixed. Some other issues as well with the dealer in California that unfortunately will be fixed by the dealer in Austin.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:14 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

This is very common and very annoying. Had the same thing happen to me 100 miles after receiving the car from the dealer that serviced the vehicle. At that time I lived 5 minutes from Dundon and took it to them for a quick look. They scanned the car and provided an absolute reading and % that was overfilled. Then converted this to oz over. They would have drained some for me, but the car was too hot to do it on the spot. I ended up doing it myself. Used a hand pump and siphon and took 10 minutes.

A few things here that you may already know. These systems are very sensitive and there is a general process the most knowledgable follow to ensure it doesn’t leave overfilled. Cars that sit a lot and or those driven in many short trips are more prone to see this message, even after a proper change. In this instance, when it’s not materially over by a lot it can be resolved by doing the following. Pop the rear hatch, take off the cap, replace the cap, close the hatch and start the car. The message is automatically cleared, even when nothing is drained. Then take the car and drive it spiritedly, not meaning crazy, just ensure it’s warmed up and hit some on ramps or areas you can get the RPM’s up and ultimately oil hot. This will typically solve the very small incremental amount that triggered the sensor even after a proper change.
The following users liked this post:
achenator (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 08:49 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
This is very common and very annoying. Had the same thing happen to me 100 miles after receiving the car from the dealer that serviced the vehicle. At that time I lived 5 minutes from Dundon and took it to them for a quick look. They scanned the car and provided an absolute reading and % that was overfilled. Then converted this to oz over. They would have drained some for me, but the car was too hot to do it on the spot. I ended up doing it myself. Used a hand pump and siphon and took 10 minutes.

A few things here that you may already know. These systems are very sensitive and there is a general process the most knowledgable follow to ensure it doesn’t leave overfilled. Cars that sit a lot and or those driven in many short trips are more prone to see this message, even after a proper change. In this instance, when it’s not materially over by a lot it can be resolved by doing the following. Pop the rear hatch, take off the cap, replace the cap, close the hatch and start the car. The message is automatically cleared, even when nothing is drained. Then take the car and drive it spiritedly, not meaning crazy, just ensure it’s warmed up and hit some on ramps or areas you can get the RPM’s up and ultimately oil hot. This will typically solve the very small incremental amount that triggered the sensor even after a proper change.
Great info thank you. The first thing the Austin dealer said was that was normal and should go away. I insisted that he check to see if it was overfilled or not. I will follow up to make sure they scanned the car as you mentioned and get an absolute reading for me.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 514 Posts

991/992 cars are sensitive to trigger overfill message when filling to the top bar on the digital level indicator. Oil expansion to temperature can trigger overfill when the cold level is close to the threshold, once hot enough can then meet the threshold. There’s a way to reset it: park on level surface and start engine, let engine idle, open rear trunk lid and continue idle for 2 minutes, then close deck lid while engine is still idling. This should reset the overfill message. If overfill message returns then need to drain some oil out.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 01-27-2024 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:19 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

It would take you maybe 10 minutes to partially open the main drain plug and allow half a quart to pour out. You can do this with the engine cold so you don't have hot oil running down your fingers:

- Jack up one side of the car using rear jack point, place jack stand under center subframe for safety
- Remove torx bolts holding engine under tray and remove under tray
- Locate main drain plug on center of engine, lowest point facing out and loosen using the appropriate allen wrench size
- Once loose, place pan under drain and carefully and slowly open drain plug until oil starts to leak out. Keep pressure on the drain plug so it never fully comes off, but allows oil to drip out.
- Stop when you feel you've allowed enough oil out. I would aim for near 1/4 or 1/2 a quart. Once you can measure the level again, if it's lower then your preference, you can easily fill more oil.

Sorry if this is too simplistic, but if anyone has the overfill warning, it's this simple to rectify the problem vs driving around with excess oil or oil pressure in the system.
The following users liked this post:
jap10 (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 07:42 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

It is very easy to overfill. The difference between underfull and overfull is 0.5 l. To make things even more difficult, there is a delay in the car sensing the exact level, so you cannot rely on the dashboard gauge immediately when you fill it with, say 0.2 l. I used a 60cc syringe and small vinyl tubing about 18 inches long snaked down into the oil fill hole. It took less than a minute to correct the overfill, and didn't get me dirty, and didn't require getting under the car with a lift.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:12 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 78 Posts

Needs an Italian tune up
Old 02-07-2024, 04:03 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Got it resolved, looks like it was indeed overfilled.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 RS - oil overfill