Sponsored by:

2014 GT3 price dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 02:01 PM
gils911
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 GT3 price dropping?

Need some guidance please: looking at a 20K mile 2014 GT3 with PCCB. Has the E engine, warranty expiring later this year. I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger for this $130K car, will it nosedive shortly? engine failures are real, i was told they do happen, i don't plan to track the car, but I'm nervous I'll will be stuck with a difficult car to sell in 6-12 months after warranty is gone, i usually don't keep my cars after 6-12 months. What should price be for this taking into account the warranty expiring shortly?
Old 02-07-2024, 02:30 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gils911
Need some guidance please: looking at a 20K mile 2014 GT3 with PCCB. Has the E engine, warranty expiring later this year. I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger for this $130K car, will it nosedive shortly? engine failures are real, i was told they do happen, i don't plan to track the car, but I'm nervous I'll will be stuck with a difficult car to sell in 6-12 months after warranty is gone, i usually don't keep my cars after 6-12 months. What should price be for this taking into account the warranty expiring shortly?
The prices will almost certainly be affected by the warranty expiration. It's unclear how low the prices will drop, or if/when they will recover as the engines are fixed one way or the other (G6, Dundon top end, 4.0L swap, etc.).

If your intent is to buy the car and get rid of it in some time, you're almost certainly better off buying a .2. If your intent is to buy a car about which you feel less guilty using, and are cognizant of the risk associated with the original engine, then get a .1.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:58 PM
fsts2k
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It is hard to see into a crystal ball but the 10 year warranty and engine is well known. I don't see a nose dive happening unless all GT3s drop. In my opinion, the .1s will always be the cheapest GT3 but they are a great car. As long as GT3s overall hold strong on pricing, which I see them doing, I don't think the .1 will nosedive while the others stay at similar prices. It is too good of an alternative for people that can't spend on the .2 or 992. Will is depreciate, probably, nosedive, I don't think so.

But what do I know.. have had my .1 for 8 years and I am terrible at predicting the future.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:44 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone knows about the engine problems and the expiration of the warranty so that is already priced in. For the true enthusiast and the long-term owner it doesn't matter because, in the long run, they (GT cars) go up in value.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:44 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NNayak
The prices will almost certainly be affected by the warranty expiration. It's unclear how low the prices will drop, or if/when they will recover as the engines are fixed one way or the other (G6, Dundon top end, 4.0L swap, etc.).

If your intent is to buy the car and get rid of it in some time, you're almost certainly better off buying a .2. If your intent is to buy a car about which you feel less guilty using, and are cognizant of the risk associated with the original engine, then get a .1.
Makes sense. Seems as though the price drop post warranty would be similar to the expected price to ‘fix’ the engine. But we don’t really yet know the cost to fix the engine. And there doesn’t currently seem to be any negative price implications associated with having a Porsche provided G6 engine. However, will other ‘fixes’ be valued the same as I don’t suspect that the average .1 owner will pay for an engine swap like Porsche has been doing for a number of years.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,852 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by mc_renn
Everyone knows about the engine problems and the expiration of the warranty so that is already priced in. For the true enthusiast and the long-term owner it doesn't matter because, in the long run, they (GT cars) go up in value.
They do?

As an example.

The 996.2 GT3 retailed for something like 100k back in 2003 when it came out.

Recent sales of the car have an average price of around 114k.

Factoring in inflation, cost of ownership, etc., how has it gone up in value? Even with just inflation it's a money loser.

All of this is not to denigrate any Porsche GT car, and certainly not the 991.1 GT3 with the ticking time bomb for a motor, but to think that all GT cars go up in value in the long run is like thinking you will reach the horizon as long as you walk long enough.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
They do?

As an example.

The 996.2 GT3 retailed for something like 100k back in 2003 when it came out.

Recent sales of the car have an average price of around 114k.

Factoring in inflation, cost of ownership, etc., how has it gone up in value? Even with just inflation it's a money loser.

All of this is not to denigrate any Porsche GT car, and certainly not the 991.1 GT3 with the ticking time bomb for a motor, but to think that all GT cars go up in value in the long run is like thinking you will reach the horizon as long as you walk long enough.
but you get to enjoy a 6 gt3 very few made and last of the non nannies cars
Old 02-07-2024, 04:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,852 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
but you get to enjoy a 6 gt3 very few made and last of the non nannies cars
No doubt.

The 996 GT3 might be one of those unicorn cars for me, esp. in the U.S.

Was just trying to say that to think GT cars will always go up in value in the long run is a doing simple arithmetic when the rest of the world has moved on calculus.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:02 PM
911LeeN
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Buyer psychology will dictate that they go down once the engine warranties expire. OP being concerned and starting this thread is a clear example.

It will probably go back up from there if there's a reasonably priced aftermarket fix, like LN Engineering IMS bearing fix for the 997.1s. Until then, there is a non-negligible risk once the warranty expires. I personally loved driving the 1.1 GT3, it was fun!
Old 02-07-2024, 04:05 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

There is no (or at least not enough) upside to spending 6-12 months in a 2014 991.1GT3 with the original motor. Start with the known facts - the 10-year warranty is soon expiring and the engine has a serious (well documented) flaw. The repair outside of warranty will be very expensive. Those who are contemplating offering the fix have yet to provide any price estimates. Based on the details provided outlining what needs to be repaired, I would set aside 50k, and understand it could be a little less or even more.

What I anticipate will happen is this - as these come out of the 10-year warranty they will take a hit relative to the cost to repair. Maybe it’s not 1:1, but there will be a market adjustment. The cars that will hold higher will be those sold CPO from Porsche dealers, and those with the replaced (G6 series) motors.

This car (IMHO) takes none of the above into account. This at 130k is full retail assuming the motor never goes.

How about this question back to you op - let’s say you do buy it at 130k today and put 10k miles on it. And by chance nothing happens under your ownership. What would you pay for a 2014 991.GT3 (original engine) with no warranty?
Old 02-07-2024, 04:11 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

OP - I should have mentioned, based on how you describe your anxiousness today, having not even made the purchase…magnify that times 10 if you actually bought the car. Why put yourself through the stress of unknowns. This is a total unneeded purchase. If it can’t be fun DON”T DO IT!
Old 02-07-2024, 05:40 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by gils911
Is this a dealership car? Will they CPO with you paying for an additional year?
Offer $70K less than asking price if no CPO as that's approximate cost of replacement. Probably even higher for a non-warranty replacement is my guess.
My E-motor went at 23k miles, but also had an unknown amount of prior track time. After my first track event it threw the golden code, but you need to meet or exceed that 8,250 RPM to make it eat itself quicker. Guarantee there is already internal damage, just have yet to check that CEL block.
And yes, you most certainly would be 'stuck' with a devalued car after warranty expiration with no G6 motor replacement.

Last edited by slipaway37; 02-07-2024 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 637 Posts

I’d definitely recommend waiting a full year before buying a 991.1 GT3.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:26 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

If your nervous about the purchase don't buy it.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:56 AM
shehatezme
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I would not pay $130k for a 2014 non G6 car. People have floated that the replacement cost to install a new engine under warranty was $60-70k. The most recent post I saw was $90k. If your $130k gt3 blew up after the 10 year, the addition money could have gotten you into a .1 rs or a .2 gt3. Unless the car is heavily discounted it is not worth it. Look at the 996/997, Porsche left the owners out to dry.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3 price dropping?