Brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 11:43 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I don't put any fluid in the pressure bleeder. This saves on wasted fluid a little and makes clean up easier, but does require additional disconnects and re-pressurizations to top off the reservoir.

There's one bleeder, I think it's on the inboard side of the front right corner, that will not accept the 11mm flare wrench. It's like the casting on the caliper doesn't allow enough clearance so I have to use an 11mm socket. Makes things a little messy.

And after two non-working Motiv bleeders out of the box, I gave up and bought a different brand that was less money and has a better construction.
I’ve used the Motiv that way also, but it is very risky (can easily introduce air if you don’t keep very vigilant at monitoring the fluid level in both sides of the reservoir).

My box wrench reaches all 8 bleeders without issue. And a box is preferable to a flare wrench for something like this (with a moveable vinyl hose that can be placed through the box - only really need them for hard lines…)
Old 04-16-2024, 07:56 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 69 Posts

Right - box end wrench with the tube through the wrench to the bleeder. I also purchased like 4 feet of tubing at the hardware store and run it into a large plastic jug sitting on the ground rather than a shorter tube to a commercial bleeder catch bottle hanging from the car and getting in the way while working.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:13 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’ve used the Motiv that way also, but it is very risky (can easily introduce air if you don’t keep very vigilant at monitoring the fluid level in both sides of the reservoir).

My box wrench reaches all 8 bleeders without issue. And a box is preferable to a flare wrench for something like this (with a moveable vinyl hose that can be placed through the box - only really need them for hard lines…)
Nah, there's very little risk. Just keep a watchful eye on it. It's no different than making sure you don't run out of fluid in the pressure bleeder vessel.
The following users liked this post:
9914s (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 10:55 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nah, there's very little risk. Just keep a watchful eye on it. It's no different than making sure you don't run out of fluid in the pressure bleeder vessel.
True, but the Motiv can hold far more fluid and is more easily seen (reservoir can get low on one side while showing fluid on the other side).

No need to keep refilling Motiv during a bleed if filled enough, but you do the other way…
Old 04-17-2024, 05:23 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 278 Likes on 134 Posts

I always blow out the bleeder after I'm done with brake clean.

I've had fluid that resides in here after the job boil out on the track and stains the caliper.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
GrantG (04-17-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 09:05 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

And after two non-working Motiv bleeders out of the box, I gave up and bought a different brand that was less money and has a better construction.
I’m pretty dissatisfied with my Motiv. While doing a flush on my old car the line blew and sprayed brake fluid everywhere. I think your idea of keeping the fluid out is a good one. I’ll do that next time.
krell (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 01:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mattyf
I’m pretty dissatisfied with my Motiv. While doing a flush on my old car the line blew and sprayed brake fluid everywhere. I think your idea of keeping the fluid out is a good one. I’ll do that next time.
I’ve had several (probably half a dozen or more) of the Black Label 019 Motivs and each has been perfect
Old 04-18-2024, 03:30 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

subscribed

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush