Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will there be an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

VW will no doubt have a RS in the line up. They love the sales.

The RS will either be a more powerful, more wing version of the GT3 with crazy graphics OR they will make it more of a stripper compared to the non RS.

Personally i would like to see the 991RS with an almost bare console free of all electronic aids, pull tab door handles, light weight headlight option, radio delete option, A/C delete option, full carbon front and Cup car brake callipers. RSR type body work would also be welcome.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why Porsche will not make a RS this time.

Can't wait to see what tricks in the hat Porsche has on the RS.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I don't see why Porsche will not make a RS this time.

Can't wait to see what tricks in the hat Porsche has on the RS.
I will predict right now that it will be PDK only and will include the hated RWS and PTV, otherwise it risks being little or no faster than the GT3. I think expectations that Porsche will drastically change their newly developed GT formula for the RS are unrealistic. It will have a modest HP increase, some weight savings, and a higher price tag. The delta between the 997 GT3 and RS will be more or less maintained with the 991 GT3 and RS. Just my guess: you can come back in 12-18 mos and tell me I was wrong.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I will predict right now that it will be PDK only and will include the hated RWS and PTV, otherwise it risks being little or no faster than the GT3. I think expectations that Porsche will drastically change their newly developed GT formula for the RS are unrealistic. It will have a modest HP increase, some weight savings, and a higher price tag. The delta between the 997 GT3 and RS will be more or less maintained with the 991 GT3 and RS. Just my guess: you can come back in 12-18 mos and tell me I was wrong.
Can't wait, I just put a deposit down for the RS.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

If we ever see a manual, expect it to be a $$$ option on the RS only.

The RS will have to retain all the tech and maybe even add more to ensure it's faster than the base GT3, when compared apples to apples with PDK in both cars.

They don't have to do much to make the next RS - CF body panels, titanium center muffler, door pulls like the 7.2 RS, wider body, big wing, decals, etc. And they will sell all of them at whatever price they charge. We know it and they do too.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Can't wait, I just put a deposit down for the RS.
Congrats. I'm sure it will be spectacular, regardless.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 216 Posts

QUOTE=kyrocks;10277301]Thank you. It's a pic of my car at COTA taken with the iphone camera using an app called "camera +".[/QUOTE]

definitely going to look into that app. Did you get on track at COTA? What did you think?

I believe there will be an RS variant, as for cost and timing who knows but my guess is base of $150-$160 and hits the market in 18 to 24 months.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The total number of GT3/RS in the past were quite small. Is it correct to assume that the primary driver for that exclusivity is the mezger engine? Specifically, a production "bottle neck" becasue of havingto share allocations with the Motorsport division? I ask because the new 991 GT3 engine is not in motorsport - will that allow prodcution numbers increase subtantially for the GT3/RS?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Based on the comments in that interview, I think it is next to impossible for the RS to have a Mezger engine. And didn't they stop production?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by brake dust
The total number of GT3/RS in the past were quite small. Is it correct to assume that the primary driver for that exclusivity is the mezger engine? Specifically, a production "bottle neck" becasue of havingto share allocations with the Motorsport division? I ask because the new 991 GT3 engine is not in motorsport - will that allow prodcution numbers increase subtantially for the GT3/RS?
Turbo, produced in significantly higher quantities, had the same engine block through the face lift.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
If we ever see a manual, expect it to be a $$$ option on the RS only.

The RS will have to retain all the tech and maybe even add more to ensure it's faster than the base GT3, when compared apples to apples with PDK in both cars.

They don't have to do much to make the next RS - CF body panels, titanium center muffler, door pulls like the 7.2 RS, wider body, big wing, decals, etc. And they will sell all of them at whatever price they charge. We know it and they do too.
Even if they do offer a manual, it will still be the dual-clutch based "manual" as seen in the C2S, so it won't really be a true manual, and it won't shed any weight as such.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mvez
Even if they do offer a manual, it will still be the dual-clutch based "manual" as seen in the C2S, so it won't really be a true manual, and it won't shed any weight as such.
Agree. I'm sure they could change some software, exchange plastic for metal in the "linkage" - if there is one - etc. to provide more feel, but it's not the same.

Seems a bit strange to take away the unique feel - steering and 7MT; also the sound symposer - to appeal to a broader audience, and then add it back using tricks and gimmicks when it would've been cheaper, easier, and lighter not to get cute.

Quick Reply: Will there be an RS?