Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 3.8L Track Car - What my customers are doing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default 981 3.8L Track Car - What my customers are doing...

http://bgb-motorsports.smugmug.com/O...8483594_6z2ZrZ

I was asked by Peter (Trakcar) to post some photos of the latest build we did and given that it is as close to a 991 GT3 as we can get, it's appropriate for posting here; please do not yell at me. When Peter inquired as to what we were up to, I told him that the 3 most recent builds we did were all for customers that were originally on a wait list for a 991 GT3 and it was this realization that led to his suggesting that I post these pics:

ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN:
991 3.8L 400hp/325lb/ft Engine Conversion
991 3.8L ABS/PSM Upgrade with Sport Plus
Guard Transmission PDK Limited Slip Differential with BGB Setup
Aasco Motorsports Lightweight PDK Flywheel
BGB Motorsports / RSS Motorsports Underdrive Pulley Kit
BMC Air Filters
Cargraphic Long-Tube Racing Manifolds with Sport Rear Silencer Seat (NO DRONE NO DRONE NO DRONE!)

BRAKES/SUSPENSION:
Hoosier GT Slicks (255FR/285R)
Forgeline GA3R 18" Racing Wheels (9.5"FR / 11.0"R)
RSS Tarmac Series Lower Control Arms
RSS Tarmac Series Toe Link Kit
Wevo Semi-Solid Front Engine Mount
JRZ RS Pro Double Adjustable Coilovers
Upgraded 991 Brake Master Cylinder
991 GT3 Front Sway Bar
ITC 2014 Spec Carbon Fiber Splitter
Techart Wing Base and Crawford 2013 IMSA Spec Wing Element

SAFETY:
BGB Motorsports 981 Motorsport Harness Bar
Sparco Pro Adv Seat (2)
OMP Racing Harnesses (2)
GT3 Seat Sliders (2)
Rennline 981 Tow Hooks
MSI Racing Products Motorsport Wheel Studs and Lug Nuts

MISC:
Vision X Custom Graphics Package
AIM Solo DL with SmartyCam Video Overlay

Short of starting to move suspension pickup points, there is nothing left to do to improve the handling of this car. The power delivery is rather awesome and I look forward to the car's returning for the install of the Power Kit engine, underdrive pulleys and PDK flywheel that was a bit late to the party to make the Sebring shakedown last weekend. Trakcar seemed to think that a 6-speed version of this with a decent, race proven motor should interest some of you folks.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:05 PM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

One word !

WOW!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet. What's the cost of that baby beast?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:15 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, wow. Also curious on cost & weight.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet !!

Seeing all these Cayman builds, it's very tempting but the wife would have "the boys" in a jar and I'm very attached to them

Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you guys want some round numbers, the components are as follows if starting with a $57K donor car:

- Stage 1 Engine Swap: Engine, ECU and air filters. $30K. (Motor comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty from Porsche Cars North America).

- Stage 1 Track Package: Forgeline Wheels, Hoosier Slicks, BGB Harness bar, Sparco seats, Schroth/OMP belts, Cargraphic manifolds, Cargraphic mufflers, IPD plenum, 991 Front Calipers, pads and rotors, a Guard Transmission clutch style LSD and tow hooks. +/- $25K.

- Stage 2 Track Package: RSS Monoball Toe Links, RSS Monoball Lower Control Arms, 991 GT3 Front Sway Bar, 991 GT3 Master Cylinder Upgrade, JRZ RS Pro 2-Way Adjustable Dampers, MSI wheel studs, MSI lug nuts, brake ducts, front/rear aero and an AIM SOLO DL data system with SmartyCam overlay. +/- $25K.

It is essentially an $80K build to a $60K car. And yes, before you guys tell me that it is GT3 territory, look at what is underneath. $6K alone is lightweight wheels and race slicks...another $8500 invested in monoball suspension and remote reservoir dampers...the aero package was north of $5K. The seats, harneses, harness bar and labor was $5500. That right there is $25.5K in parts that a lot of you would bolt to a stock car whether it is a GT3 or not.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

P.S. the only real weight savings are in the form of lightweight fiberglass racing shells and lightweight wheels. The JRZs weigh less than the stock dampers but nothing has been done to remove the interior. HOWEVER, i know that my good friends at Getty Designs made an entire carbon fiber body kit for our 987.2 Cayman consisting of a front decklid, fenders, doors, roof skin, hatch and mirrors that saved us 130 lbs when we did the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Mark is working on all new Carbon Fiber stuff for the 981 and the beauty of his last carbon fiber kit was that it retailed for under $10K, including doors.

PDK weighs 80 more lbs than 6-speed on the drivetrain scale. A typical 6-speed Cayman is rated at 2880 lbs so in theory, i think that we could get this thing awfully close to 2700 lbs if we start bolting carbon fiber parts to it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool work John!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Sweet !!

Seeing all these Cayman builds, it's very tempting but the wife would have "the boys" in a jar and I'm very attached to them

Now that's friggin' hilarious... i would however expect nothing less from someone with enough creativity to pick the avatar "conekiller." Thanks for keeping it fun!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Gabe Newell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an earlier version of this with a Powerkit, and it's a hoot. If you are tempted, give in.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

John ,
Been chatting with a fellow from north of the boarder , whom keeps showing at Sebring @ the 48
then some Chin and just this past Saturday For a PCA De , a fellow 991Gt3 deposit holder
who told me he is canceling his order for the 3 , doesn't want wait till late fall for his build.
He was very excited to tell me He going to get a new base Cayman and its coming to you for your
magic !! Gave him my guy's info @ Champion ,
Thought you would enjoy such a glowing report track side
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

John,
don't the Interseries cars use a roll bar?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt3rs.
One word !

WOW!
For what it's worth, this is not supposed to be a substitute. I guess you may call it an alternative while you wait?

Let it be known that I have only sat in one of the more recent GT3s. I can only imagine what it would be like to be on track behind the wheel of a 997.2 GT3RS, the mighty 4.0, the new 991 GT3...you name it. Having raced and tried to engineer both cars side by side, the 911 has an advantage on a road course always, unless the track has long duration, fast corners without point/squirt stuff. Since the list of tracks that fit that criteria is relatively short, you can see the struggles we had going back and forth.

These cars are nimble, light and very well balanced with awesome, linear 3.8L power. Gabe's car was the first to have the x51 Power Kit retrofit and when those went on, it had that amazing 3-tier cam profile that the 991 motors have. The cars are great and relatively inexpensive to maintain. I don't know if you can still compare the two though. If the new GT3 is any extension of the improvements I felt in driving the 991 on track half a dozen times, it should be multiple seconds faster on the stopwatch.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTEE3
John,
don't the Interseries cars use a roll bar?
The Interseries cars were all equipped with 1.5" DOM steel safety cages that were 6-point + in design. I would undoubtedly refer to this as a roll bar, roll cage, safety cage, you name it. Our race cars had 1.75" as we were required to by Grand-Am. Briefly we met with the Interseries folks and after the 2nd year of production all cars had 1.75" cages so they could be raced all over without issue.

The car above has what I would call a "harness bar" as it's a 4-point hoop style design that is bolted to the unibody.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Doesn't look like a bad alternative to me :-)

Quick Reply: 981 3.8L Track Car - What my customers are doing...