Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic 991 GT3 track mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

R6 was never a problem for the front tires, but always rear. So maybe this is a solution even though the R7 are grippier maybe they will hold up better.

Still trust MPC2 better
Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Yeah, judging from your location I think I know who you're talking about too? Saw you guys (or them) at Sebring. Noticed the Crawford wing right away and MONSTER size profile tires from behind and had to chase down the car to get info and compare notes.

If we're talking about the same car, the fronts were running Hoosier R6's and rears were the new R7 compound? (I understand Hoosier is expected to make appropriate sizes by the summer for the fronts in R7?)

Anyway, as I stated I only ran R6 and it's these that I'm talking about. Matter of fact, "Dave", pro racer/coach happened to be right there while we were talking and he too confirmed that our GT3's don't like the Hoosier R6's? He wasn't sure exactly why, but he wasn't getting faster lap times at all, while I was getting slower lap times.

I think that the R6's have too soft sidewalls and the compound doesn't slide whatsoever? Maybe something w/ the AWS that prevents good traction? I don't know, but at least for me proof is in the pudding. My Aim/Solo confirms it.
That was us! We spoke at sebring it was very nice to meet you. Ok there is NOTHING wrong with R6's on the GT3. We have been running this setup for five events (Road America, VIR, Daytona, Sebring twice) with zero issues. They work perfectly and we couldn't be happier. At sebring my old man was driving the GT3 and was exclusively coached by Dave the coach whom you mention. Dave drove a few laps an did a 2:16 in the GT3 with traffic and a passenger according to the solo. How on earth is that not getting a faster time than stock tires? That is light years faster than any of the 991 GT3's that have been at sebring. Most are mid twenties and happy to be there (not that there is anything wrong with that). I will be back at sebring this weekend for david murray and I'm sharing the GT3 with my old man and will post up some videos and lap times. The car is a 2:14 car imo with the hoosiers, crawford wing and proper setup just need some clean laps. Our setup was designed by one of the best wrenches & setup guys in motorsports which also helps.

If you are slower with the correct sized hoosiers then you must not blame the tires but the guy behind the wheel. Get more practice and or a coach and you will learn to use the tires to their abilities.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know of one GT3 on stock tires that ran 2:16 at Sebring. A very accomplished driver of course. As more drivers get laps you will see many be below 2:20 in short order.

PDK ftw in terms of lap times.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
That was us! We spoke at sebring it was very nice to meet you. Ok there is NOTHING wrong with R6's on the GT3. We have been running this setup for five events (Road America, VIR, Daytona, Sebring twice) with zero issues. They work perfectly and we couldn't be happier. At sebring my old man was driving the GT3 and was exclusively coached by Dave the coach whom you mention. Dave drove a few laps an did a 2:16 in the GT3 with traffic and a passenger according to the solo. How on earth is that not getting a faster time than stock tires? That is light years faster than any of the 991 GT3's that have been at sebring. Most are mid twenties and happy to be there (not that there is anything wrong with that). I will be back at sebring this weekend for david murray and I'm sharing the GT3 with my old man and will post up some videos and lap times. The car is a 2:14 car imo with the hoosiers, crawford wing and proper setup just need some clean laps. Our setup was designed by one of the best wrenches & setup guys in motorsports which also helps.

If you are slower with the correct sized hoosiers then you must not blame the tires but the guy behind the wheel. Get more practice and or a coach and you will learn to use the tires to their abilities.
Nice. Thanks for clearing things up.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:26 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

By correct size, I'm guessing you still mean a smaller rolling diameter than the stock 20s? Which size Hoosiers were you running?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:26 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha, thanks for the tips, Ace. I didn't realize you were so omniscient when we spoke?

As you were trying to compare whose "engine" was bigger, you obviously missed Dave confirm my comments about the R6. News FLASH…it was he who commented about the softer sidewalls and his similar comments about the R6's to mine.

As for "correct size", I don't know? Admittedly, I'm NOT the all knowing expert, so in full confession I did engage a "coach." They're a small shop that cuts a wheel here and there? Perhaps you've heard of them? They're called Forgeline, run by two brothers Dave and Steve. I shipped my car for them to cut tires based on their professional opinions and what would work the best. Since my car happened to be what they used to R&D the 991 GT3, if they got it wrong and cut wrong dimensions, a lot of others are going to be in the same boat?

I had already hired a professional coach for Road Atlanta next week prior to your post, but gee whiz! Boy, I'm really excited at being able to use my tires to their abilities.

Then, again what do I know cuz I'm just the guy behind the wheel?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Haha, thanks for the tips, Ace. I didn't realize you were so omniscient when we spoke?

As you were trying to compare whose "engine" was bigger, you obviously missed Dave confirm my comments about the R6. News FLASH…it was he who commented about the softer sidewalls and his similar comments about the R6's to mine.

As for "correct size", I don't know? Admittedly, I'm NOT the all knowing expert, so in full confession I did engage a "coach." They're a small shop that cuts a wheel here and there? Perhaps you've heard of them? They're called Forgeline, run by two brothers Dave and Steve. I shipped my car for them to cut tires based on their professional opinions and what would work the best. Since my car happened to be what they used to R&D the 991 GT3, if they got it wrong and cut wrong dimensions, a lot of others are going to be in the same boat?

I had already hired a professional coach for Road Atlanta next week prior to your post, but gee whiz! Boy, I'm really excited at being able to use my tires to their abilities.

Then, again what do I know cuz I'm just the guy behind the wheel?
No need to get nasty I didn't mean any offense or mean't to insult your driving ability. If that's the way you took it I apologize but that is no reason to start insulting me for trying to help you at the track and on here. This is supposed to be about having fun and helping others.

Anywho I recall you were running the incorrect size hoosiers before and that's probably where the problem came from. There is no reason hoosiers should be slower than the stock tires. We run them successfully and are willing to help anyone that wants to run hoosiers on their GT3.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:06 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Still waiting on what the "correct" size is...
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Still waiting on what the "correct" size is...
265-35-19 front

325-30-19 rear
Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
265-35-19 front

325-30-19 rear
Thanks! I'm hoping Nitto makes the NT-01 as well in these sizes, then I'll have a reason to jump to 19" with more selection. I hope more 991GT3 owners switch and report back good things.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alignment, pads, then optional (but what I'd do) 1/2 cage/HANS capable seating etc
Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

... Our setup was designed by one of the best wrenches & setup guys in motorsports which also helps.

Sincerely, I too apologize if you thought I was getting "nasty." Sarcastic? You betcha ***!! Nasty? Not intentional, anyway.

There are a lot of folks on here who have plenty of experience, but opinions are much like belly buttons, we all have one.

I'm happy to hear you feel comfortable w/ your newfound setup. (Although, for the life of me, I can't figure out how you'd openly recommend anyone uses two completely different construction (even if by the same manufacturer) front and back?

Then, proffering advice and suggesting I not blame equipment had me admittedly perplexed???
Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Sincerely, I too apologize if you thought I was getting "nasty." Sarcastic? You betcha ***!! Nasty? Not intentional, anyway.

There are a lot of folks on here who have plenty of experience, but opinions are much like belly buttons, we all have one.

I'm happy to hear you feel comfortable w/ your newfound setup. (Although, for the life of me, I can't figure out how you'd openly recommend anyone uses two completely different construction (even if by the same manufacturer) front and back?

Then, proffering advice and suggesting I not blame equipment had me admittedly perplexed???
Again sorry for any offense. If you have the correct size hoosiers your lap times should not be slower. If they are there are other problems all of which can be fixed

Hoosier and Bob Woodman tire will recommend using the R6 and R7 together. The R7 is a replacement to the R6 and is not vastly different. Also it is also common place to run different compounds on the front an back especially on 911's. I always run a softer front compound than a rear with yoko A005 slicks for example. At the end of the day its personal choice what you run on your car. The fact is that there is nothing wrong with the R6 and R7 combo. Many are running it on 991 GT3's without issues.

I think should give the thread back to the OP. I'm happy to continue the conversation in Pm

Quick Reply: Basic 991 GT3 track mods