Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Bucket Supply causing GT3's to be pushed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Curious - could be more US/ROW differences - with my LWB/clubsport car, the option for passenger harnesses is there (albeit for extra cost)
Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Mike, remember that the anti sub bar that we use in the old GT2 buckets are aftermarket bars made by BK and not Porsche. Porsche never made antisub bars for the GT2 seats. I have always wondered about how the harnesses were mounted from the factory, but Macca has shown that they bolt to the floor from the factory (better way to do it anyway).
You're absolutely right, Joe. If I understood correctly, though, it seemed like some folks were thinking there might be a bar solution for the new seats and as you point out that's not likely. There will be some drilling and perhaps welding required for US cars if they don't have the ROW mounting points which I suspect is the case.

Just as a point of interest (well, it's interesting to me anyway) Porsche did provide mounting bars for the earlier one-piece Euro GT3 seats. I still have one of mine; they came as a pair and the other one was in my 996 when I sold it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014, 10:29 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't thnk cutting a slot in the pass seat will be too hard. Copy the same outline from the drivers seat, drill a starter hole to get a jig saw blade in and saw away. PIA....nothing seems easy between this and the roll bar.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I don't thnk cutting a slot in the pass seat will be too hard. Copy the same outline from the drivers seat, drill a starter hole to get a jig saw blade in and saw away. PIA....nothing seems easy between this and the roll bar.
Agree, but cutting a slot in the cushion is another matter too...
Old 12-05-2014, 10:44 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 193 Posts

Porsche really dropped the ball here, but I'm not surprised these days. Hopefully they fix this before the RS is released.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the pass seat has a web shaped electronic position/weight sensor under or in cushion for passenger side airbags. Cutting in middle to provide a belt slot would probably be a game ender to the system and trigger the warning lights on for good and prevent airbag system from working properly?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Isn't the seat cushion two pieces like the drivers side held in by Velcro ? If not, that is a shame. I should of spec'd the standard seat and bought aftermarket to avoid all this nonsense. I wonder if the seats are standard in the RS ? If not, maybe I will get that car with standard seat and buy after market Sparcos....and trade in my current 3 due to arrive in January.
I suppose we can blame the Neanderthal US DOT agency
Old 12-05-2014, 11:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Isn't the seat cushion two pieces like the drivers side held in by Velcro ? If not, that is a shame. I should of spec'd the standard seat and bought aftermarket to avoid all this nonsense. I wonder if the seats are standard in the RS ? If not, maybe I will get that car with standard seat and buy after market Sparcos....and trade in my current 3 due to arrive in January. I suppose we can blame the Neanderthal US DOT agency
In the GT2 seats, the bottom cushion is one piece with an opening in the center for the belts.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

In the GT2 seats, the bottom cushion is one piece with an opening in the center for the belts.
Well maybe a custom seat upolstery shop could cut and stich a hole nice and neat. I am concerned about how to deal with that weight sensitive airbag sensor in the passenger seat. What a buzz kill. I should of ordered sofa's.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Couple of pics below, hard to get at the moment as it's in a pretty dimly lit garage so can't get a picture looking directly at the seat to focus.

I think the carbon fibre is a pretty good match, not perfect as the seats are a bigger weave but I think it's the best interior combo still. If you stare at it long enough the control console looks different to the dash, and the door, but I think it's really size of the weave more than anything.

About 2" of travel - maybe a touch more.
U

Now that I am in a complaining moood regarding the LWB's, what is up with that POCrap flimsy plastic FE mount ? I wasn't expecting too much, but that is ridiculous. Looks like it could break off under repeated heavy braking.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:44 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is built sears are in!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a couple of things. In the ROW clubs port fitment the belts are situated with a loop and buckle situation after if the centre position in order to avoid the possibility of the belt binding. These are installed in accordance with FIS regulations I'm fairly sure.

Secondly the gt2 seat cushions u have appear to be two piece with the belts running up between the two sections though I have to confess I haven't removed them to be sure. They look outwardly very similar to the 918 seats.

Lastly I would imagine those holes are the ideal location points and it wouldn't be too difficult to weld in the threaded nuts if needed after all that's what the rest of us have had to do with older 911s for many years.

Cutting out the cf at the bottom of the passenger seat now that's an unknown put looks doable...
Old 12-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

My thoughts on the padding below the headrest: I'm assuming it's a DOT issue for children. The cushion is at neck level for me and doesn't touch me while seated. I suppose it's padding for the back of a child's head as that's probably where it would be for children not needing car seats but are still below adult height. I can't think of any other reason it should be there. I guess they added it for the drivers seat as well to keep it symmetric.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:48 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Well maybe a custom seat upolstery shop could cut and stich a hole nice and neat. I am concerned about how to deal with that weight sensitive airbag sensor in the passenger seat. What a buzz kill. I should of ordered sofa's.
Patience grasshoper...

Since the Speedster, Porsches with racing type buckets have been more highly valued. The new GT3 carries forward this tradition with what is an "almost" racing seat that is highly functional. Take a look at anything in the GT3 class or less, and nothing comes even close. You want these seats now and definitely in the future for your collection.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  89.4 KB
Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Disculpa...

Originally Posted by nicolasr
Mira Eduardo, no comments, mejor me callo por no acabar mal antes de conocernos.... Lo de la conquista a lo mejor reconquistamos California nosotros antes.... Yo por lo pronto me voy a Las Vegas la semana que viene por si quieres invitarme a ese Ribera y curas un poquito esa prepotencia
Ahora si que te pido mis disculpas. Tienes toda la razón. El mal genio es algo que es fatal para el espíritu y espero que puedas perdonar esta falta de cortesía que tuve contigo.

Lo que creo que pasa es que no estoy haciéndome entender muy bien a través de estos 'posts' en Rennlist. Necesitamos hablar en directo y entonces puede ser que compartiremos en puntos de vista. Lo de los asientos 'sport bucket' espero que entiendas mejor lo que trate de explicarles a todos con el post #358.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...pushed-24.html

De veras que no entendiste lo que dije en el post #358?

Y a California te la regalo si la quieres...pero a no ser que tengas tu mas sangre de Cuauhtémoc que de Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, en verdad no veo como harás para reconquistarla de la manera que va todo esto de 'fronteras abiertas', a lo bien o a lo forzado! Acuérdate lo que paso con la 'Marcha Verde' del Rey Hassán II de Marruecos en Octubre del 1975 en El Sáhara Occidental. Yo vivía en España en esa época y recuerdo muy bien el mal rato que pasamos todos preocupado por los Españoles (soldados y ciudadanos) en ese territorio en Africa. Y aunque se salvo algo con la famosa 'Operación Golondrina', todo me dejo con un sabor en boca bastante desagradable. Y creo fue algo que también disgusto al pueblo Español! Yo no soy de los que piensan que fronteras no importan. Si que son necesarias! Y ojalá que puedan ser respetadas tanto en Ceuta, Melilla y el Estrecho de Gibraltar como en los estados de Tejas, Nuevo Mexico, Arizona y California!

Favor de disfrutar a Las Vegas y espero vernos cuando estes de paseo por esta zona! Por ejemplo, si vienes a Rennsport V el proximo Octubre!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 12-06-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Bucket Supply causing GT3's to be pushed.