Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First wash... any tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe he's someone who's never owned an expensive car and wants to make sure he doesn't damage his investment. Maybe some other reason. Who knows. Who cares. Are you the guys that punched smaller kids on the playground?...why come pick a fight...?
wolves, sheep, sheep dogs....
Old 01-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
My GT3 was delivered last week on a rainy day so it's been dirty from the get-go. It will finally be nice enough for a wash this weekend... I've got the 2 bucket system with grit guards, microfiber wash mitts, and an electric leafblower for drying. I still need to pick up a hose/pressure gun. Could anyone recommend some pressure guns/kits they use or ones to avoid?
What color is your car? If it's a dark color, I'd be much more **** about how I cared for it (CR Spotless, Master Blaster, different towels). If you have a regular color like red, white, silver, blue, yellow; I'd start with this:

1Z Einszett Wheel Cleaner (if you don't have CCBs)
Griot's Rubber Cleaner for tires
CarPro Pearl Tire Dressing
Two Buckets
Optional: Foam Cannon
Sheeting Method Rinse
Leaf Blower Drying (People are 50/50 on this. I dislike the Master Blaster)
Dry while Spraying Adam's Detail Spray

If you're super board and have several hours of your life to waste, click on the links in my signature to see how I do it. My method is stolen largely form Phil at Details Domain and Mike Phillips from AutoGeek, but it's not the only way to do it.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone will have the products that they use(d) and work for them.

Two bucket for sure with grit guard at the bottom. Key is to use a lot of water/foam and a clean mitt. If you do not rinse the mitt out enough you will get micro fine scratches on the paint. Plenty of GOOD microfiber towels. You get what you pay for in microfiber towels.

Once finished, I would polish and wax the car to keep it looking as clean as possible. Use a detailer mist in between washes (but be careful to not use when you really need a wash vs touch-up--again clean micro fibers for this process).

Any who, everyone has the products they like--for me I use Chemical Guys. Have found their microfibers great and the polish and waxes are some of the best I've used. But when it comes to products it's like choosing a car color.

Good luck and whatever you do, don't ever run that car through a car wash.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Everyone will have the products that they use(d) and work for them.

Two bucket for sure with grit guard at the bottom. Key is to use a lot of water/foam and a clean mitt. If you do not rinse the mitt out enough you will get micro fine scratches on the paint. Plenty of GOOD microfiber towels. You get what you pay for in microfiber towels.

Once finished, I would polish and wax the car to keep it looking as clean as possible. Use a detailer mist in between washes (but be careful to not use when you really need a wash vs touch-up--again clean micro fibers for this process).

Any who, everyone has the products they like--for me I use Chemical Guys. Have found their microfibers great and the polish and waxes are some of the best I've used. But when it comes to products it's like choosing a car color.

Good luck and whatever you do, don't ever run that car through a car wash.
Just as you stated, two buckets is minimum, however, I also frequently rinse the mitts with running water when cleaning the lower half; OCD sure...

I'll check out Chemical Guys for Microfiber cloths; thanks!

Does anyone use a quality Chamois for drying?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Does anyone use a quality Chamois for drying?
I use a waffle microfiber, the guzzler (green ones from autogeek). Some guys use white cotton towels.

I haven't seen anyone use a leather or synthetic chamois in quite a while. The chamois doesn't have any depth to the face to absorb any solids that might be on the surface during drying.

Also avoid the California blade, unless you want a scratch in the shape of an arc. These poly blades will eventually get something hard embedded in the edge and a catch horribly.

Ryan
Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by reidry
I use a waffle microfiber, the guzzler (green ones from autogeek). Some guys use white cotton towels.

I haven't seen anyone use a leather or synthetic chamois in quite a while. The chamois doesn't have any depth to the face to absorb any solids that might be on the surface during drying.

Also avoid the California blade, unless you want a scratch in the shape of an arc. These poly blades will eventually get something hard embedded in the edge and a catch horribly.

Ryan
which do you find works best: 16"X24" or 20" X 40". Imagine the 28" X 44" is too big.

Thank you.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which do you find works best: 16"X24" or 20" X 40". Imagine the 28" X 44" is too big.

Thank you.
I prefer multiple 16 x 24's because you can fold them over and have one in each hand.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you.
I like smaller towels, but I also take the longest time drying my car as that is when I've found I'm going to scratch it if I rush.

I'm going to try Optimum Instant Detailer next time, but have been using Ammo Hydrate in the past which I liked.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:56 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
I prefer multiple 16 x 24's because you can fold them over and have one in each hand.
thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Maybe he's someone who's never owned an expensive car and wants to make sure he doesn't damage his investment. Maybe some other reason. Who knows. Who cares. Are you the guys that punched smaller kids on the playground?...why come pick a fight...?
wolves, sheep, sheep dogs....

Great movie.....
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Master Blaster over leaf blower. Master Blaster uses heated filtered air and eliminates any need to hand dry. Leaf blower can suck up and throw out dust. You can go straight to polishing and waxing with no hand drying with Master Blaster.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you.
Actually we use both. For the roof and hood we hold the large towel by two corners like a flag and lay it on the panel then pat to dry and lift off. For vertical panels fold the towel in half and use two hands. One hand holds the towel and the other drys lightly with the free end mostly patting not rubbing. The small towels are perfect for door jambs, inside the drunk lid, and around the wing. We also have a couple of small ones dedicated to drying the wheels as we don't currently use distilled water or deionized water - gotta dry them to avoid water spots.

Anytime you need to rub rather than pat during drying spray some quick detailer on the area first.

Ryan
Old 01-23-2015, 01:06 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For washing, I do the following:
1) Add car wash soap in bucket
2) Fill bucket with warm water so my hands don't freeze off since it's winter time in Portland
3) Soak a fresh microfiber towel in bucket
4) Rinse car with a liberal amount of fresh, Bull Run water
5) Wash car with soap and water mixture
6) Rinse car with a liberal amount of fresh, Bull Run water (yes, I do this twice)
7) Dry car with fresh micro fiber towels
8) Put it back into the garage without a care about that water spot because I am not saving my car for the next owner.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:55 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Small 1500 psi pressure washer for 1st rinse.
Soap dispense with pressure washer and dunce again. No need for nit or towel to touch paint. Master blaster to dry and Griots spray wax to finish with microfiber towel. Done!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a GT Silver car so it doesn't show swirls/scratches like something darker. Funny comment about the sheep dogs... just saw that movie last night and I enjoyed it.

Quick Reply: First wash... any tips