Sponsored by:

pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held

what would be the benefit of that? i thought on other models pulling both put into N until you hit one of the paddles again?

also, do you guys feel the paddles need to be out further and larger? i drive the ferrari FF and jump into gt3 and i'm missing the giant paddles!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,856 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
what would be the benefit of that?
Burnouts
Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

In my very limited (75 Miles) of driving so far, I found this to be a great feature for declutching the transmission as you come to a slow stop like in stop and go traffic. If you hold it as you roll to a stop it will automatically shift to first and in so doing also eliminates the bucking and shucking from low speed operation in first or second gear at low speeds.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Useless for almost spinning the car...
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

When you're sitting at In and Out and they're taking too long to cough up your burger, fries and Coke, you can hold down both paddles...and rev and rev and rev like a little kid.

Dan (rev'd once but, yeah, it was something to do instead of just listening to music, then put it in park, and should have rev'd more)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:31 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
In my very limited (75 Miles) of driving so far, I found this to be a great feature for declutching the transmission as you come to a slow stop like in stop and go traffic. If you hold it as you roll to a stop it will automatically shift to first and in so doing also eliminates the bucking and shucking from low speed operation in first or second gear at low speeds.
+991
Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda like putting the clutch in coming to a light but way more awkward...
Old 01-30-2015, 03:25 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it mainly to coast down to the traffic light just like I normally do when I have a manual transmission. It can help you drift the car by providing you a good kick to turn the car sideways but traction control has to be off. It can be also used as a quick LC. Finally it can help you reduce understeer in a turn during slippery conditions which is more appropriate than hitting the brakes or lifting the throttle and especially when you have traction control on as it engages the throttle back smoothly. Mark
The following users liked this post:
emembee (08-01-2020)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
bluebell38
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use them sometimes when stoping at a red light. I have tried to burn out a couple times, seems like it shifted up when I was in manual. Does anyone have any fun tricks they do with the pull in?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
^^^ learned something today. Did not know this... Tks, bb
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
englebert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The function was to address the issue of not having a manual transmission. You could call it the Chris Harris feature!

It allows you to do a 'clutch kick' mid-bend, where you are suddenly dumping a load of revs through the rear wheels and therefore are able to initiate oversteer.

I am happy to do in in my cheap drift car, but not with the PDK.

http://www.driftingstreet.com/clutch...technique.html
Old 01-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
what would be the benefit of that? i thought on other models pulling both put into N until you hit one of the paddles again?

also, do you guys feel the paddles need to be out further and larger? i drive the ferrari FF and jump into gt3 and i'm missing the giant paddles!
If it did not happen only when pulling it would not be fast enough to serve the purpose. You would never have time for it to disengage to a neutral that is then re-engaged with a second pull.
I have not tried this function yet but it seems like a pretty defining feature of PDK-S. Being able to fully engage the clutch(s) is pretty huge I think, and it's a giant step closer to full control as one would have in a three pedal car.

My hope is this gets to be second nature and the two paddle can be used in all kinds of scenarios.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder who will be the first to put their GT3 through their garage using this feature....."Hey guys check this out (pulls both paddles back and revs throttle).......(releases paddles while RPMs still high)......"
Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happens if you are holding both paddles then one hand slips. Will that reengage the gears?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosilog
What happens if you are holding both paddles then one hand slips. Will that reengage the gears?
yup

Quick Reply: pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held