Sponsored by:

Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I ran Spartans comfig, same wheel same tires (based on his pioneering efforts)
they work
clearance is tomy
no scraping yet
I hit every berm I can hit
Awesome Mooty! Glad it worked out for you.

Side question have your run with speed ventures before? We signed up for the three day Laguna event in June to do some testing before rennsport. Friday is 92db and the weekend is unrestricted. I have never been there before should be fun as long as the sound police to put us in jail.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hey Spartan, do you have any more up-close pics of your Finspeed wheels (including showing the caliper clearances)?
Sorry my wheels are all BBS. Jasonfreed should have his finspeed rims soon and I'm sure he will post up some pics. Hopefully these turn out to be a quality solution that doesn't break the bank like the BBS options!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Forgeline 19" GA1R and the new GT1's work great as well. We have delivered many sets to RL members. Contact us for an incredible RL member deal on both the wheels and Hoosiers as well.
Attached Images      

Last edited by CMS; 03-04-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
The BBS are very expensive but they are very safe and hold value well. I don't know of any other brands personally but jasonfreed just ordered up a set from a USA manufacturer so maybe he can chime in?

The LCA mod is not so bad and I wouldn't let that deter you from running 19's
indeed, the mod is no biggie any competent mech can do it.
the wheels spartan and i run are approx $10k/set. just shy of that i think. i try not to keep track of it.

Thanks Macca. When you start really moving in these cars you will find the rear end is very light especially high speed sweepers. Also its susceptible to snap oversteer as noted by fastlaneturbo when he first posted about the wing. Not super confidence inspiring is a good way to put it but this only comes out when you are really pushing the car.

Essentially the stock rear wing isn't high enough to do all that much. The crawford wing addresses this and totally changes the car. Much more planted in high speed turns and it gives you the confidence to keep the throttle down. My track mechanic set up the car at the track after putting on the wing and per his suggestions we went with a rake to address this. This fixed the front end looseness and push at turn out under throttle. Overall our car went down about 10mm rear and 15mm front height wise.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on the wing!
oh cool so the lose rear isn't just me. it does wiggle more than 997, but a different sort of wiggle than 996, hard to explain. 996 is like i move toward dance patner, she moves back. you keep chasing her. 991 is like all good, i move closer, suddely she slaps my face....

Awesome Mooty! Glad it worked out for you.

Side question have your run with speed ventures before? We signed up for the three day Laguna event in June to do some testing before rennsport. Friday is 92db and the weekend is unrestricted. I have never been there before should be fun as long as the sound police to put us in jail.
the fastest group in speed venture is good. not many idioits. but on that weekend due to the $$$$, you will not see their regular crowd, mostly s2000 and bmw. i htink you wll see many loud porsches out there. u will have a blast.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
oh cool so the lose rear isn't just me. it does wiggle more than 997, but a different sort of wiggle than 996, hard to explain. 996 is like i move toward dance patner, she moves back. you keep chasing her. 991 is like all good, i move closer, suddely she slaps my face....
This thing is all over the place and super loose at the limit. Sketchy loose. Rear wing settles it down enough to where you won't clinch up going through a kink at speed. High speed transition is also much much better. I highly recommend a crawford wing. Just ask for the raw aluminum uprights. Looks way better than the carbon ones and no funny brake lights on the uprights.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:50 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thing is all over the place and super loose at the limit. Sketchy loose. Rear wing settles it down enough to where you won't clinch up going through a kink at speed. High speed transition is also much much better. I highly recommend a crawford wing. Just ask for the raw aluminum uprights. Looks way better than the carbon ones and no funny brake lights on the uprights.
Pics of the raw aluminum uprights??
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Milehigh911 here is another picture where you might see them better. The aluminum uprights are inside the carbon ones. The carbon is for looks and to hold the rear brake lighs. Crawford accidentally sent me two carbon of the same side and didn't have any left when I notified them. They figured they could send me the aluminum "guts" to get us through the weekend. We ended up sending them back the carbon and we kept the raw aluminum ones. Looks more motorsport imo

Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

^Agree, and it looks like the wings put on 993 turbo's, including those added to the top of wing mounts by Porsche.

Plus, it's easy to swap back to the stock rear wing. Does Crawford offer a deduct for less, or more like Porsche?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the wing part, but the uprights look awkward
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that Hoosier recommends on all rear engine vehicles to use the same or taller diameter tire which will offer a higher spring rate and will help absorb the shock of forward acceleration. This also will provide higher cornering grip and less wheel spin on corner exit under power. More air pressure should also be used in the rear tires with a rear engine vehicle.

Everyone needs to be safe out there!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sparten. Thanks for that. The factory wing has two settings and comes from factory on the least aggressive. If the wing is set to the more aggressive setting will that help in high speed cornering stability?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Milehigh911 here is another picture where you might see them better. The aluminum uprights are inside the carbon ones. The carbon is for looks and to hold the rear brake lighs. Crawford accidentally sent me two carbon of the same side and didn't have any left when I notified them. They figured they could send me the aluminum "guts" to get us through the weekend. We ended up sending them back the carbon and we kept the raw aluminum ones. Looks more motorsport imo

I like!!! I wonder if he could do a wider aluminum, to match the lines of the OEM strut arm, and CNC the arm to have openings like the RS style. Also, is there any adjustability to the rake? Like the OEM support had 2 holes. Thanks
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Sparten. Thanks for that. The factory wing has two settings and comes from factory on the least aggressive. If the wing is set to the more aggressive setting will that help in high speed cornering stability?
Macca,
I played around with that idea too. Actually, you have 3 settings, as I think one could leave the front holes attached, then rest the back support on a longer screw, with a wide head to hold it tight. I tried it just to see, and the combination of the tight front screws, and back's grabbing, and I couldn't budge it at all. With it's light weight, I assume it would be fine. But, I think what everyone is discovering, that at high speeds, the body shape doesn't allow for wind to reach the middle 2/3 of the wing. Wouldn't be cool to have side extensions?? Push a button and drag the sides out 4 more inches. I will likely get the CRAWFORD WING, especially if I can get Crawford to design the support arms to be a CNC open support look, similar to the RS.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Well, a late night email to Crawford, and he has come up with this idea!!

Last edited by MileHigh911; 03-03-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys thanks for all of this. With the news this morning on the new RS I think there will be a real demand for an aesthetically acceptable ing solution for the 991 GT3. Paired with a lightweight battery some shims a geo some Trofeo R the difference around a track will be negligible...

Quick Reply: Hoosiers