P11 Lightweight Bucket Seats -- How to recline the seat angle

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:47 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default P11 Lightweight Bucket Seats -- How to recline the seat angle

I assume the process is a matter of bolt holes in the bucket to allow for different angles. It's not immediately obvious just eyeballing the seats.
I could potentially shim the bolts under the sliders, but that's generally not much and compromises attachment (and it's a weak kludge.)
Anyone with experience been there, done that?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:05 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are ready to drill the desired angle bolt holes on the seat holder side plates, there is no way to adjust the angle..
Old 03-21-2015, 02:27 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

The electric seat height adjustment also changes the angle slightly.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

there's a button.
or you can have tony drill stuff.
or just get used to the vertical position like i do and then suffer lower back pain. THAT is the GT3 experience.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:41 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
or just get used to the vertical position like i do and then suffer lower back pain. THAT is the GT3 experience.
That's called good posture....didn't your mother tell you not to slump ? Mine did....
Old 03-21-2015, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

^ she did, but i practice architecture for 10 years. my upper back is fk as i droop over drafting table (yes before cad). my lower back is even worse from mt bike racing and crashing..... so if you see quasimoto on your next trackday, that would be me
Old 03-21-2015, 02:53 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ she did, but i practice architecture for 10 years. my upper back is fk as i droop over drafting table (yes before cad). my lower back is even worse from mt bike racing and crashing..... so if you see quasimoto on your next trackday, that would be me
Either you're referring to the hunchback or Google says there is a rapper (?) with that name.

In any case, I've fiddle around. It's not the upright so much (which is quite good, it's the deep lower back gap and forward shoulder pads (and weird "neck pad" ?) that are awkward.
My next step is to rip out the seat cushion and see if that changes the geometry. I've fiddled with the (limited) adjustment. Why Porsche put in electric height adjustment, I dunno. I guess someone didn't get the "lightweight" and decided on more iron.
Anyway, I don't mind elongating/slotting the brackets -- I've done that since the 90's, it's just a bit feeble for a 2015 911 with all-wheel steering to need Dremel to get the seat adjusted ... : )
Old 03-21-2015, 09:20 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Either you're referring to the hunchback or Google says there is a rapper (?) with that name.

In any case, I've fiddle around. It's not the upright so much (which is quite good, it's the deep lower back gap and forward shoulder pads (and weird "neck pad" ?) that are awkward.
My next step is to rip out the seat cushion and see if that changes the geometry. I've fiddled with the (limited) adjustment. Why Porsche put in electric height adjustment, I dunno. I guess someone didn't get the "lightweight" and decided on more iron.
Anyway, I don't mind elongating/slotting the brackets -- I've done that since the 90's, it's just a bit feeble for a 2015 911 with all-wheel steering to need Dremel to get the seat adjusted ... : )

Post some pics if you follow through with doing this.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar problem on my prior car with GT2 seats. When wearing my helmet and HANS, they would hit the back of the seat in the headrest area. I had Tony install spacers under the front mounting bolts to tilt the seat back a few degrees. Worked great. The seat mounting bolts are long enough to handle the spacer, so I never gave it a second thought after trying it.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:04 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Bad design by porsche. Ferrari racing seats have recline lever. Was hoping they fixeD This issue by now
Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I had a similar problem on my prior car with GT2 seats. When wearing my helmet and HANS, they would hit the back of the seat in the headrest area. I had Tony install spacers under the front mounting bolts to tilt the seat back a few degrees. Worked great. The seat mounting bolts are long enough to handle the spacer, so I never gave it a second thought after trying it.
I'll pull the seat and see what's possible with non-invasive means (and weigh it, out of curiosity.) I have a collection of different solid spacers that should let me cant the thing back a couple of degrees. Maybe I'll get energetic then machine a wedge/shim in aluminum to lock into the various tabs and guide pins without giving up headroom.

I need more than 70 miles on the odo to comment about correct driving position. I think with helmet on, it will be fine (because the headrest seems to give more space and less padding there, but a test fit is not the same as the out lap to settle into a good driving position.

Does anyone happen to have the part number of the sub belt cross bracket?

Is the passenger side seat not mean to have a cut-out for the sub belt? (bizarre ... and would cause trouble for PCA instructor belts rules, etc.)

At first blush, I have to ask, as Moot describes it, what kind of Quasimodoesque child of Fukushima Sushi-eating parents could possibly sit in these seats and declare their bowl of porridge to be not too warm, not too cool.

There. Enough mixed metaphors to catch up on the long break between posts to Rennlist.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

We miss you out on track, buddy!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
We miss you out on track, buddy!
Well, "dad stuff" has taken the priorities of late ... damn moral compass ... and I need break-in miles on the odo, so I won't be making it to TH anytime soon, but I am looking to sneak over the bridge to Sears during the week, so keep me posted on the next GT3 drive. The first item on the shopping list is 19 wheels and Hoosiers while I figure out the seating arrangements. Alignment out of the box is pretty dead. Still scratching my head about updating the Movits. DAS Sport bar (?) Cup wing. The usual stuff.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 5 foot 7 inch and my 2011 Boxster Spyder CF seats gave me a similar problem with lack of lower back support which made me wish for an incline adjustment.

The lumbar support part of the seat was to high for my back and so it actually pushed my mid back forward making the seating position seem even more vertical.

I ended up mostly solving the problem by stacking two pieces of carpet pad foam cut to shape between the seat shell and the seat cushion which lifts up on the Spyder. This had the effect of raising me up in the seat an inch or better and suddenly it fit much better lessening the need for an incline adjustment.

I don't know if the bottom seat cushion will lift up on the GT3 lwb or not, but if it will it's a cheap and transparent fix. Couple this with drilling new seat frame holes for a slight rake change and you might be in seat heaven.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Subscribed.
Great to read you on these threads Adam.

I also had the front mounting points of the seat rails raised on the 997's as far as it would go without hitting the (carpeted) contact points of the roll bar too hard.

Quick Reply: P11 Lightweight Bucket Seats -- How to recline the seat angle