Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not really loving the GT3 these days

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most important thing is to make yourself happy. Time for you to move on to something else . My experience though, has been the exact opposite. I tend to have a bit of buyers remorse on large purposes, as my wife is all too happy to remind me. Not here. Going on 2500 miles now....and I still can't wipe the grin off every time I get in. I even love the feeling in traffic, feeling like I'm throttling back the beast, until the gate is opened
Old 03-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's a great daily driver.
About all the GT3 needs is a backup camera. I thought that was going to be mandatory for all makers for 2015 model year ... I guess not.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,881 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think it's a great daily driver.
About all the GT3 needs is a backup camera. I thought that was going to be mandatory for all makers for 2015 model year ... I guess not.
Mandatory for MY2017.

I've installed a backup camera. Works like a charm. PM me if you'd like for details.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

What about blind spot monitoring and lane departure alarm?

...kidding.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I, too, am having a hard time really connecting with my GT3. My biggest beef (I think) is the overall size of it. Beyond that, there's the PDK vs rowing the gears myself. It's just not an emotional driving experience for me yet. However, at only 8xx miles, I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet. I've been respectful to the RPMs thus far and haven't tickled it beyond 7k. I'll take her to 9k before passing final judgement.

Won't stop me buying an RS, however. Shorter ratios, more drama etc., etc. Or so I keep telling myself...

Vivian
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I just went out to move it into the garage. Maybe it's the silver washer nozzles that are bothering me. wtf?

One tiny piece of chrome on the entire car. Need to paint them black or install the gts version.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Most important thing is to make yourself happy. Time for you to move on to something else . My experience though, has been the exact opposite. I tend to have a bit of buyers remorse on large purposes, as my wife is all too happy to remind me. Not here. Going on 2500 miles now....and I still can't wipe the grin off every time I get in. I even love the feeling in traffic, feeling like I'm throttling back the beast, until the gate is opened
Totally agree. It is not a daily driver commuter for me, but only because my commute is 40 mindless highway miles each way, with some stop and go thrown in. But now that the snow and ice is gone, I drive car all other times. I feel like superman driving this car because of the amazing handling and power. I actually feel safer than in any other car I have ever driven.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,897 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Bottom line is drive a car that suits your needs and wants for the conditions in which you'll be driving it. I've argued from the beginning that the GT3 is ideal for some uses (eg, my combo of mostly track and some road use), but IMO there are better choices of cars for road-only use on roads where speeds can't often be cranked up. Lots of great cars to choose from for that situation.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irish guitar
I, too, am having a hard time really connecting with my GT3. My biggest beef (I think) is the overall size of it. Beyond that, there's the PDK vs rowing the gears myself. It's just not an emotional driving experience for me yet. However, at only 8xx miles, I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet. I've been respectful to the RPMs thus far and haven't tickled it beyond 7k. I'll take her to 9k before passing final judgement.

Won't stop me buying an RS, however. Shorter ratios, more drama etc., etc. Or so I keep telling myself...

Vivian
Very good points.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,897 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar

Vivian
I'd be careful about that line of reasoning. If the 991 GT3 doesn't do it for you, seems unlikely that the RS will be different enough to change your feelings. Some variant of a manual 997 might be more to your liking.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

To the OP: I also do not have the time and roads to enjoy the GT3 and I don't enjoy the track, thus, as much as fantastic a car the GT3 is, it does not fit my lifestyle. Get what fits your life - happiest that way

M5 and turbo S cab for me

Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
I just went out to move it into the garage. Maybe it's the silver washer nozzles that are bothering me. wtf?

One tiny piece of chrome on the entire car. Need to paint them black or install the gts version.
I find I got like you when other things in my life were bothering me. Every little thing on the car bothered me or bored me. Happened a lot when I was over worked.

I'm still learning to chill and enjoy the cars.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

My days of doing daily driving have been over for a while. Thus the car sits in the garage several days in a row and when I take her out it is tough to wipe the grin out of my face. The one thing that is driving me nuts is that every time i take her out I seem to wind up with a police car following me. Either I am paranoid or it is truly a ticket magnet (full disclosure no ticks yet on the 3 after very careful driving.)

I have made the point to those that ask that this car is way, way more than necessary for the road and IMHO a waste of money as a commuter. Absent being able to stretch her legs may as well sell and get something more docile.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Spot on. I may need to just reset my expectations. And drive it far less frequently than I do now. But then I see it as a giant waste of cash sitting there depreciating. I truly love my jeep and enjoy driving it every day. Maybe I just need to make gt3 drives more of an event vs a chore.
See I would never daily drive 150k. It's the "event" or sense of occasion that makes my gt3 drives special.

And I don't miss the stick. Too much drama with PDK-S. I say that if you're missing rowing the gears you aren't playing enough with the tranny yet...
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

first all, put a Sharkwerks on it.
Second, take it to the track and beat on it.

If that dosnt make you enjoy the 991GT3, then it is time for something slower. (and not a 991 carrera S)

I suggest a 964 or 993.
Or, if you like new stuff, perhaps a GT4....

Quick Reply: Not really loving the GT3 these days