Sponsored by:

Not really loving the GT3 these days

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Not really loving the GT3 these days

So many people posting such great, enthusiastic reviews about taking delivery and loving their cars. Makes me realize the fun I SHOULD be having with this car, but basically can't.

I'm in a funk and not really enjoying my GT3 much. At this point I think about the $150k (I own it outright) I have in it, and that I am blatantly wasting the car by driving it the way I do.

My life pattern these days allows for nothing more than stop and go traffic, or at least heavy traffic, with no time to actually go out and DRIVE it. I'd have to drive it like an ******* in traffic to get any sort of performance out of it.

In the 6 months I've owned it, I've been to the track only a couple times for a few short sessions. I've only been to the smokies 2 times. And I just don't see my schedule freeing up any time soon (next 2 years at least) to enjoy the car. Very frustrating - I find myself really missing my 991 Carrera S.

I'm definitely keeping it until the Smokies gathering in May, but I'm thinking after that, it's time to move on to something easier to drive. I have no idea what. Maybe a Turbo? Maybe something totally different.

I have no more room for an additional car, I find myself enjoying driving my lifted 2015 Rubicon more than my GT3.

Anyone else experiencing similar GT3 funk?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the exact same garage. 2015 rubicon lifted on 37's and a 991 gt3. I live in Colorado and had the same thoughts during the winter when I couldn't drive it and considered selling it because I only used my jeep to go off-roading. Now that the weather is nice I have changed my mind... Even if I take it out for 30 mins in traffic I still manage to enjoy my car.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:17 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
So many people posting such great, enthusiastic reviews about taking delivery and loving their cars. Makes me realize the fun I SHOULD be having with this car, but basically can't.

I'm in a funk and not really enjoying my GT3 much. At this point I think about the $150k (I own it outright) I have in it, and that I am blatantly wasting the car by driving it the way I do.

My life pattern these days allows for nothing more than stop and go traffic, or at least heavy traffic, with no time to actually go out and DRIVE it. I'd have to drive it like an ******* in traffic to get any sort of performance out of it.

In the 6 months I've owned it, I've been to the track only a couple times for a few short sessions. I've only been to the smokies 2 times. And I just don't see my schedule freeing up any time soon (next 2 years at least) to enjoy the car. Very frustrating - I find myself really missing my 991 Carrera S.

I'm definitely keeping it until the Smokies gathering in May, but I'm thinking after that, it's time to move on to something easier to drive. I have no idea what. Maybe a Turbo? Maybe something totally different.

I have no more room for an additional car, I find myself enjoying driving my lifted 2015 Rubicon more than my GT3.

I respect that the car is not for everyone. I might just be caught up in the hype or I'm just really enjoying the car...my biggest worry is the RS won't be a big jump? It's really that good IMO and I'm not discounting what your opinion is at all I just have had a great time in this car and think it is a great car compared to my others.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I travel a lot, and I have 2000 miles since October delivery. I love getting behind the wheel every chance I get, and take early morning drives why the sun is just coming up. Spring is here, and give it some time. Turbo will bore you a lot of power with no sound. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why you need a membership at AMP lol. I went up Saturday, ran for almost 2 hours, basically had the track to myself. No run groups, no waiting, no schedule. Got totally pumped cause the car is just spectacular. Then wandered back home feeling like I accomplished something. For me it replaces golf quit nicely. give me a shout and I can meet you up there.

But yeah to me the car is kinda wasted if you only getting on-ramp pulls.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:21 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer

If the conditions are not ideal for you to DD the car, dont do it. You will unintentionally think the car is bad, but actually, no car would be.

I also recommend for you to have another DD to alternate with the GT3 so that there is always an anticipation to drive it another time. I for one get bored when I drive my M5 and would think also my SCUD but when I realize, get an ordinary car and then, everytime I drive my M5 or SCUD, its a blast.

I dont plan to drive my GT3 as a DD so imagine I have atleast 3 other cars I would like to drive to work, besides my other 2 cars.

But you should not keep the GT3 if you are not having any fun with it. Sell it and get something else. There is no wrong answer here.

I will tell you, my Nissan pathfinder maybe a better car than any of my high end cars in 1-3 days of the week.
Life is such that there is no reason to be blue, there is always a reason to feel fulfilled, with or without a GT3.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:26 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is a bit unloved at the moment but for very different reasons as I don't daily any car. Track season is about to start (less than 3 weeks) and I'm more excited to be getting back in my track car than anything else. I've also got a confirmed RS order so modding the GT3 for some track fun or even risking damage on the track doesn't make sense.

NY Autoshow is on this week, so that has me focused elsewhere too...

But I'm a car ADD sufferer, most don't last past 12 months/2000 miles in my garage.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

I just know there is so much in there. And I'm frustrated I can't extract it. Perhaps AMP is the answer.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

I miss my 991S! No question it's a better DD. EVEN THE SOUND was better for DD purposes, plenty of power, sporty enough, better stereo, easier in stop and go traffic. I as well DD my GT3, mine is a short 5 mile commute, sometimes I wish I just kept my S. In order to enjoy my GT3 I'll leave for work before traffic sets in and enjoy the car a bit, once I get to work I'm rejuvenated and tend to tie up a lot of loose ends before the day starts. On weekends I'm not on call I'll go for a 20 minute ride on some country roads near by. That's when I truly appreciate the GT3! You can be creative and enjoy the car!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Very well said, sgroer.
The car is very difficult to drive daily or just in traffic or even just curvy roads. You need to just take it to the track where you can go WOT without too much worry. If you can't make time for that, then I agree, sell it.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

NSD991, tilt your avatar a bit so our photos look identical please.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
lend your gate to him and he's set!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:52 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NSD991
I miss my 991S! No question it's a better DD. EVEN THE SOUND was better for DD purposes, plenty of power, sporty enough, better stereo, easier in stop and go traffic. I as well DD my GT3, mine is a short 5 mile commute, sometimes I wish I just kept my S. In order to enjoy my GT3 I'll leave for work before traffic sets in and enjoy the car a bit, once I get to work I'm rejuvenated and tend to tie up a lot of loose ends before the day starts. On weekends I'm not on call I'll go for a 20 minute ride on some country roads near by. That's when I truly appreciate the GT3! You can be creative and enjoy the car!
Very well said, sgroer.
The car is very difficult to drive daily or just in traffic or even just curvy roads. You need to just take it to the track where you can go WOT without too much worry. If you can't make time for that, then I agree, sell it.
I thought you two are thesame people!

But NSDD1 is right, we are not on a track everyday, so I go on a country road and try to play alittle bit. Dont be careless, try to let her breath alittle bit.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always said, respectfully, I have no idea how anyone can DD this car and enjoy it. I feel that it either needs to be on a track or some very smooth wide open roads. It has L-O-N-G legs and once you get up into 3rd gear+, it seems like 9k takes a while to come along. I have tried driving it a few times during the week and its just frustrating. To much traffic to enjoy it. The car comes out at about 7pm on Friday and gets driven a lot on the weekends, especially early mornings and evenings, through the TX hill country. That or track. If I was going to focus on a more fun daily driver, I would look at something with more torque, auto, more room for others, etc. If not a Porsche turbo, maybe a Merc AMG, Audi RS or an Aston Martin or something like that. I loved my AMG Black Series, it was a snorting wart hog on the road and you could have a lot of fun even in traffic.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:03 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I have always said, respectfully, I have no idea how anyone can DD this car and enjoy it. I feel that it either needs to be on a track or some very smooth wide open roads. It has L-O-N-G legs and once you get up into 3rd gear+, it seems like 9k takes a while to come along. I have tried driving it a few times during the week and its just frustrating. To much traffic to enjoy it. The car comes out at about 7pm on Friday and gets driven a lot on the weekends, especially early mornings and evenings, through the TX hill country. That or track. If I was going to focus on a more fun daily driver, I would look at something with more torque, auto, more room for others, etc. If not a Porsche turbo, maybe a Merc AMG, Audi RS or an Aston Martin or something like that. I loved my AMG Black Series, it was a snorting wart hog on the road and you could have a lot of fun even in traffic.
Spot on. I may need to just reset my expectations. And drive it far less frequently than I do now. But then I see it as a giant waste of cash sitting there depreciating. I truly love my jeep and enjoy driving it every day. Maybe I just need to make gt3 drives more of an event vs a chore.

Quick Reply: Not really loving the GT3 these days