Sponsored by:

Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting

So, Ive pretty much given upon my GT3 RS hopes, Ive called everyone I know, written letters etc, to no avail, it makes little sense to me why they limit production, sure some of you will now chime in and say the car costs them so much to make they make more profit from selling the cars i dont want (no real evidence to prove this) exclusivity keeps demand high, (I think the price alone keeps the item exclusive) etc etc, I am tiring of seeing alot of pretty neat products coming from the company, then the reality-you can't get that, they are sold out etc etc, so now Porsche loses a sale, I look at old air cooled cars and I sit here confused, are sales so good they have no need for my business, do they sell so many regular 911s that it makes no sense to build more RSs-who knows, I am happy with the cars i have its a want not a need-but my wants are what this hobby is about
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,400 Likes on 726 Posts

Its okay to vent. The RS is the Unicorn. I wonder if the the lack of Supply is due to the 2014 fiasco which delayed everything for 4 months and they just can not allot any more time due to other production schedules which are set years, in advance.

I also do not think you should give up. Maybe they slip in a couple more hundred for the US. US is a good market right now for them
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 179 Posts

The sell so many Macans and Cayennes not 911's. (And there is evidence in the financials, I just don't have the cite) Keep in mind a manufacturer does not have unlimited production capabilities. Even the most mass produced car has limits, it's just a different production mindset going into the production cycle.

Be patient and you may be rewarded. Hope it works out for the best for you.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:12 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may suggest patience.

Let's see what happens in the next few months to the dozens of RS's currently "sitting" in showrooms @ $300k+
Lest we forget, these are not 4.0 Mezger 6 speeds!
Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well then maybe the 911R ?
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...to-basics-911/
Old 12-26-2015, 12:59 PM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
That's actually harder to get than a RS and it's pretty much already sold out to 918 owners.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:02 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwar99
The sell so many Macans and Cayennes not 911's. (And there is evidence in the financials, I just don't have the cite) Keep in mind a manufacturer does not have unlimited production capabilities. Even the most mass produced car has limits, it's just a different production mindset going into the production cycle.

Be patient and you may be rewarded. Hope it works out for the best for you.
That is when it all started. Just depends on whether if VW is going to tell Porsche to Produce the RS in Mass or not for foreseeable future.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:51 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Its okay to vent. The RS is the Unicorn. I wonder if the the lack of Supply is due to the 2014 fiasco which delayed everything for 4 months and they just can not allot any more time due to other production schedules which are set years, in advance.

I also do not think you should give up. Maybe they slip in a couple more hundred for the US. US is a good market right now for them
thx for the words of encouragement!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

I just dont get the point, drive me out of the market to build more ghetto models like base 911s boxsters, cabriolets and targas, eventually I lose enthusiasm for anything new. If the point is to excite people buy selling base models so you can later sell them the premium versions of the same car, how does it work to not build enough of the premium versions? around me seems like they always sell out of the smaller iphones before the bigger ones, this is the opposite model
Old 12-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, what follows is not advice, it is idle commentary based on personal observation of luxury commerce.

Producing one fewer car than there are buyers for it does work; the tough part is getting people to want the car in both the primary and secondary markets. Getting people on the ladder with pedestrian models in the hope of having some climb towards limited editions while profiting from them immediately does work. It's an entirely aspirational business model, and for each one you lose through disgust there are at least three others willing to take the bait, especially if the product is genuinely good and the brand delivers on its promises.

Much depends on getting dealer attention, and it is hard for people to advise about specific dealers without knowing where you are. I have only a single experience of Porsche dealers, but significant experience with those of some competing and complementary or analogous brands. From what I have seen, manufacturers and even importers will rarely get involved except with customers known to be special: friends of the brand, celebs of the desirable sort, squeaky wheels with media connections, etc.

Allocations on interesting cars are intentionally limited, especially for dealers outside major urban areas. Most allocations (for the brands with which I am familiar) go to those dealers in the biggest markets, usually FL, TX, Metro-NY, Chicagoland, and CA. Allocations for truly interesting cars will go first to those people buying from and servicing multiple purchases with the dealership. If you own 5+ Iso Griffos and buy one per year, you will be the Iso Griffo dealer's early choice for the latest, greatest, and rarest...especially if you show the cars off, make the dealer sound good, and are available to help their business. If you have been after a Griffo Speziale and you get offered one for the first time, take it, even if someone else specced it and then refused delivery. Scratch their backs or your itch will be ignored.

This is first and foremost a business and selling a single car at MSRP is rarely the goal. With things like Speziales, only through a really major miscalculation will they make more of them than they can sell. Don't be wholly surprised if it is broadly hinted you should buy one of those OSCAs they are having a hard time moving in order to get you on the Speziale list. Don't underestimate the value of buying a CPO you know is well over original MSRP as a show of future good faith. Similarly, it is often clear that if you outright buy that super limited edition seven figure halo Bizzarini from them, they likely can get you that Speziale allocation immediately as well. Above all, buy from THEM, not brokers, private sellers, etc.

In other words, you climb a ladder. You don't usually begin on a high rung. The simplest way on is to buy something you want and will enjoy, and then either buy more of them regularly or trade them in for newer models regularly (or both) with a longer term plan of being considered for the rarer stuff as it comes out. Or walk in with a cash offer on that halo car they want sold out fast.

Last edited by Banango; 12-26-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I really felt there weren't enough words and it wasn't didactic enough (sorry).
Old 12-26-2015, 08:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,246 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I just dont get the point, drive me out of the market to build more ghetto models like base 911s boxsters, cabriolets and targas, eventually I lose enthusiasm for anything new. If the point is to excite people buy selling base models so you can later sell them the premium versions of the same car, how does it work to not build enough of the premium versions? around me seems like they always sell out of the smaller iphones before the bigger ones, this is the opposite model
First of all, LOL. Tell us what you really think. No need to hold back.

The RS is the halo version of the halo 911. What do you expect? The entire point of such a car is that it is nearly impossible to get. Your struggle is entirely the objective of a car like this.

It's pay to play. Open up that wallet.

"Demand minus 1" works for a ghetto car like a bog standard GT3 or, God forgive me for even mentioning it in the same breath, GT4
Old 12-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Porsche isn't Ferrari. They want to sell cars in volume and they want to make money. The GT cars are halo cars, nothing more. They don't sell them to make bank on them and they purposely under supply. Because it's a good strategy for the overall business.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Superman32
Racer

Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I may suggest patience.

Let's see what happens in the next few months to the dozens of RS's currently "sitting" in showrooms @ $300k+
Lest we forget, these are not 4.0 Mezger 6 speeds!
It's the better 4.0.. To drive / track I don't want the Mezger. To collect. Sure.

Talk about slower, non Mezger, numbered collector unicorn. I rather have the 4.0 then.

Drove the GT4 today, really a great sports car. I was very impressed by the solid well rounded ness. But it's no RS..
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Superman32
Racer

For 1 buyer Porsche lose by limiting production they may get 4 or 5 new buyers want the car. The fewer they make the more demand on the car. More they make less demand. If they make the rs like turbo s number I would not brought it

Quick Reply: Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting